Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Mandalorian [** Spoilers **] [Disney+] (US Pace)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,505 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Episode 8 and a god damn Deus Ex Jedi.

Full disclosure, I never liked the Jedi growing up. I was a Han man through and through as I watched the reruns of the movies on TV. Luke was a boring sap with Daddy issues. Still to this day my enjoyment of the SW universe surrounds everything else apart from the Space Wizards and ... Urgh yeah.

I was onboard this finale 100%, the prospect of a Mandalorian 1v1 enticing while our heroes seemed in proper peril ... and the episode goes down the toilet. Sacrilege as it is to say, after the sequel films I am DONE with the bloody Skywalkers, especially the dead eyed CGI version we saw in this episode. Always with the Skywalkers.

Guessing season 3 embraces the whole Restoration of Mandalor, and that could be interesting but this was the first time the series as a whole strayed too deep into the mythology of the films and felt like a proper misstep. Overall I've enjoyed season 2 a smidge more than last year but that finale soured things a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Rewatched Series 1 over the last few days....It was better 2nd time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

NIMAN wrote: »
    Rewatched Series 1 over the last few days....It was better 2nd time round.

Season 1 was impacted by people getting grumpy about run time, that it wasn't moving fast enough, and characters only appeared in one episodes.

To me most of what was complained about for the first season actually led to a much better payoff in second.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Jez, that was fecking amazing. I watched an episode a night for the last 8 evenings and not 1 bad episode. They’ve raised the bar for “TV”. What an ending, and then that emotional punch. I wasn’t crying or anything but I have this condition where my eyes water when I see something sad. Absolutely brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

kerplun k wrote: »
    Jez, that was fecking amazing. I watched an episode a night for the last 8 evenings and not 1 bad episode. They’ve raised the bar for “TV”. What an ending, and then that emotional punch. I wasn’t crying or anything but I have this condition where my eyes water when I see something sad. Absolutely brilliant.

My young lad cries every time he watches that final scene, and I'm not far behind him either! It's pure Star Wars magic and I won't be told otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,640 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Gina Carano has been fired.

The final straw seems to be a post on social media saying being a Republican today is akin to being Jewish during the Holocaust.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

The final straw seems to be a post on social media saying being a Republican today is akin to being Jewish during the Holocaust.

A very silly woman to be posting crap like that.
    What a mindset she has going on there.:o:o:o
    I dont think she deserved to lose her job over it tbh.

Ide say she was on for a massive role in Rangers of the Republic.
    Hopefully Bill Burr is given a bigger part in this now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

I was just about to post about it.

I had not seen anything about this util last weekend when it popped up as I was browsing about Luke’s appearance.

Apparently Favereau had protected her in the past but it seems the the woman is not very bright and didn’t use the opportunity to walk away from social media drivel.

I don’t think “fired” is the right term. She was a recurring guest star so will simply not be invited back.

It is a pity she threw it away as Cara is a great character but it isn’t that big a deal. Whatever plans Favereau and Filioni had for the character in season 3 can easily be transferred to another female ex-soldier who gets the marshal gig on Navarro when “Cara leaves”.

Parsnips wrote: »
    A very silly woman to be posting crap like that.
    What a mindset she has going on there.:o:o:o
    I dont think she deserved to lose her job over it tbh.

Ide say she was on for a massive role in Rangers of the Republic.
    Hopefully Bill Burr is given a bigger part in this now.

I don’t know what she was posting it seems like a lot of people saw this coming so I’m guessing that Lucasfilm had expressed displeasure in the past and/or Favereau had advised her on the consequences of continuing.

She hasn’t “lost a job” - she was a recurring guest star. So has lost future jobs.

They can easily get another female action hero to take over whatever part she was to play in the future.

I’m looking forward to seeing what becomes of him in the future but I can’t see Mayfield being a fighter for the New Republic. Is there official newly he is part of the Rangers show? I think he more suited to occasional guest appearances on Mando.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

She didn't post anything herself she shared a post.
    Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbors.... even by children.

Because history is edited, most people today don’t realize that to get to the point where Nazi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbors hate them simply for being Jews. How is that any different from hating someone for their political views?

Apparently this is anti-Semitic and denigrating people based on their cultural and religious identities.

• Advertisement

Varik wrote: »
    She didn't post anything herself she shared a post.

Apparently this is anti-Semitic and denigrating people based on their cultural and religious identities.

That is what she posted?

I don’t get what offence it caused?

This is what she posted?

It's what she shared.

I also missed a bit.
    Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbors.... even by children

Because history is edited, most people today don’t realize that to get to the point where Nazi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbors hate them simply for being Jews. How is that any different from hating someone for their political views?

She has posted a lot of questionable stuff on social media anti trans, anti vac, pandemic denying, rigged election etc she was given plenty of chances to tone it down and didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I seemed to be in the minority in liking Cara Dune and I tried giving Carano the benefit of the doubt initially, but she really must be dim as ****. She had her chance to stop the provocative stuff on social media and I'm sure she was warned by her own rep's and Disney's, but then she pulls this gem out comparing conservatives to persecuted people. There's no defending it.

God I hate it when the Twitterati are happy - maybe that's why I'm pissed off over this even though I know it's fair. :P

She has posted a lot of questionable stuff on social media anti trans, anti vac, pandemic denying, rigged election etc she was given plenty of chances to tone it down and didn't.

And I'm sure her other posts are exactly as you say they are and not a total over exaggeration by the perpetually offended like her recent post.

I get that but the “final straw” as you called it was her quoting someone who was stating a historical fact.

It seems to me that people have overreacted to the mention of Jews and Nazis.

Regardless anyone who uses social media is an idiot. I’ve looked up Mark Hamill in the past for any amusing Star Wars related stories and all the guy does is drone on about trump and politics.

I get that but the “final straw” as you called it was her quoting someone who was stating a historical fact.

It seems to me that people have overreacted to the mention of Jews and Nazis.

Regardless anyone who uses social media is an idiot. I’ve looked up Mark Hamill in the past for any amusing Star Wars related stories and all the guy does is drone on about trump and politics.

Pedro pascal Too posted after election comparing Trump losing to the Nazis and Confederates losing. Doubt he'll be losing out soon, the mob probably going to focus back on Rosario Dawson now again.

I seemed to be in the minority in liking Cara Dune and I tried giving Carano the benefit of the doubt initially, but she really must be dim as ****. She had her chance to stop the provocative stuff on social media and I'm sure she was warned by her own rep's and Disney's, but then she pulls this gem out comparing conservatives to persecuted people. There's no defending it.

God I hate it when the Twitterati are happy - maybe that's why I'm pissed off over this even though I know it's fair. :P

I don’t see the issue with the statement she reposted but maybe I’m missing the context it was used.

I honestly don’t care about actors political opinions or comments on transgender people, Covid conspiracies etc. and I would ignore anything that isn’t a serious crime.

But every one knows these days that the pearl clutching snowflakes will get you fired so I don’t understand why any actor or director is on social media stirring things.

Just shut up and concentrate on entertaining people.

I liked the character. I didn’t know we were a minority. What is it that people don’t like? That she is a wonmn?

Varik wrote: »
    Pedro pascal Too posted after election comparing Trump losing to the Nazis and Confederates losing. Doubt he'll be losing out soon, the mods probably going to focus back on Rosario Dawson now again.

What “controversy” is Rosario Dawson in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

What “controversy” is Rosario Dawson in ?

Something about abusing and harassing a trans man. I honesty don't know how celebrities get themselves entwined in such bullsh1t.

• Advertisement

Do we know for a fact that this was the “final straw”?

It could be that Lucafilm and Favereau dropped the character during the last controversy and just didn’t say anything as it would be a stain in the show.

The Lucasfilm spokesperson said Carano wasn’t currently working in Star Wars and there was no plans for her to be in the future. This suggests it wasn’t something recent but when news media contacted them about the latest Twitter the my just said she don’t work here anymore. Didn’t say since when.

She was about to get her biggest gig a lead in a Disney+ series that probably would have made her millions and had been given plenty of warnings to tone down her social media output.

She has no one to blame but herself.

She was about to get her biggest gig a lead in a Disney+ series that probably would have made her millions and had been given plenty of warnings to tone down her social media output.

She has no one to blame but herself.

That is just a rumour and fan casting.

And very unlikely.

Carano hasn’t the acting talent to be the lead in a show. She is good in supporting roles or in an ensemble.

Like I said above this largest social media thing isn’t “controversial” at all. And she has apparently post plenty in past that was enough to get “fired”.

I think they decided to drop the character back then and just say nothing so as as not to tarnish the show. That fire with the statement from lucasfilm.

Something about abusing and harassing a trans man. I honesty don't know how celebrities get themselves entwined in such bullsh1t.

I did a quick Google.

The lawsuit was filed long before the Ashoka series was announced so I guess that Lucasfilm and Disney are satisfied that there is nothing to worry about there.

When Mando comments that Fennic Shand is supposed to be dead she shows him her cybernetics. I assumed this meant that she survived because she is a cyborg and Fett was able to make repairs.

That seems only logical as where would Fett get the resources required to do it from scratch.

Wookiepedia claims however that Fett made her a cyborg.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,701 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think the Carano thing is similar to Roseanne. You could argue the case either way, but it's more of a last straw thing than just one post. She was alright in The Mandalorian, but I don't think anyone would miss her. From Disney/Lucasfilm's point of view, she's not worth the hassle at this stage because even if they defended her chances are she'd post something stupid again in another few months anyway, and at that point they could be mid-filming and be much harder to get rid of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'm not aware of other items she said but getting fired for that statement is crazy, and ironically, Disney kind of prove what she had shared.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Sparko

I noticed that #fireginacarano was trending on twitter again yesterday so I wondered what dumb thing she had said this time. She seemed determined to throw herself under a bus really.

titan18 wrote: »
    I'm not aware of other items she said but getting fired for that statement is crazy, and ironically, Disney kind of prove what she had shared.

These days people get in trouble for nearly anything but like I said above I don’t think this lasted comment got her “fired”.

I think her previous topics of conversation were enough and Favereau & Lucasfilm pronouns just decided to not return the character.

Since she isn’t a main character she hasn’t actually been fired and there was no need to announced the parting of the ways.

I think what happened here is simply that a news media outlet reached out about the lastest Twitter. The response seems to match the idea that it is not recent decision to not use her again. However Lucasfilm will look a little foolish if they allow people to think this comment was the reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

I think what she shared is actually fairly harmless in the overall scheme of things, and I don't think of what I've seen her post previously that any of it is particularly horrific or whatever, a bit stupid but nothing completely bonkers or toxic.

It's really more about the constant stuff she was posting, the pots she was constantly stirring, and the headache of the potential for future controversy as well that brings constant, negative coverage to the brand of Star Wars, Mandalorian, and Disney, regardless of where on the scale it actually falls.

She only has herself to blame, she would have been warned multiple times, all she had to do was stay away from certain topics for the sake of her current and future livelihood.

Of course she has less clout because she's not a leading star and the show isn't realistically going to lose value without her, and can easily replace that role. Whereas Pedro Pascal could almost say anything without much fear of consequence as he essentially is the show.

It's a shame, and I like Gina Carano and don't frankly care about the stuff she posts on Twitter, but the blame lies 100% with her to be honest.

Advertisement