Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Inaccurate statement, or Gold-digger?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

You've used the term gold digger and put "the victim" in quotation marks. What exactly are you sceptical about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

She wanted people around to help but was afraid she was going to get trampled???

I wouldn't call her a gold-digger but I do think she is trying to milk the situation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

I'm not saying she a gold digga...

I'm not saying she a gold digga...

She ain't messing with no broke <static>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

People's memories of traumatic events are frequently awful. The adrenaline alters the way your brain is working, prioritising fight-or-flight functions and real-time decision making, over memory.

Anyone who has ever had a traumatic incident will have a couple of really clear "flashes" of the incident, but their memories of what happened afterwards will be scattered, confused and far less clear than a typical memory.

Which is why it's really important to remember, whenever something happens, to try and take notes and not just remember what's been said to you and by whom.

Any road, while she remembers people taking photos and nobody helping, more likely there were one or two people out of 20 taking photos, and one or two helping. Again, out of 20. So in hindsight it feels like people were standing around gawping instead of helping when in reality only 2 or 3 people can be of much help at any one time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

You're a terrible person I'm afraid.

Sorry now.

I'd be willing to wager the outrageous sum of €1 that she didn't permanently lose the sight in her eye.

That said, I wouldn't fancy a whack of a golf ball in the face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I'd be willing to wager the outrageous sum of €1 that she didn't permanently lose the sight in her eye.

That said, I wouldn't fancy a whack of a golf ball in the face.

Her eyeball exploded, I'll send you my address to send your €1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I'd be seeking compo as well. In fact I bet everyone would.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

She's lost sight in one eye. Permanently. For the rest of her life. That is a big deal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

She says fore was not shouted, conflicting stories say it was. That is the crux of it. Wild shots happen, spectators get hit; cover your face and your head as best you can when you hear fore (and also don't spectate in a place where balls are more likely to land). She does not seem to have done this and this awful tragedy has now occurred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DChancer

Having seen this on SkyNews website I was wondering if possibly the " Victim " hadn't seen any pictures of the aftermath of the incident? Or did she only see Half of them?

https://news.sky.com/story/woman-hit-by-golf-ball-at-ryder-cup-people-took-photos-instead-of-helping-11516714

Am I a terrible person for thinking like this?

Opinions please?

You're way past terrible, even Bruce Kopka who hit the ball accepts what happened. The Lady is likely to lose the sight in one eye and you think you're funny by sneering her with your "Or did she only see Half of them".
    Hopefully Karma will catch up you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

I'd rather watch golf on TV drink beer and still have my eye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Having seen this on SkyNews website I was wondering if possibly the " Victim " hadn't seen any pictures of the aftermath of the incident? Or did she only see Half of them?

https://news.sky.com/story/woman-hit-by-golf-ball-at-ryder-cup-people-took-photos-instead-of-helping-11516714

Opinions please?

I have no idea what you're getting at.

If I had just been blinded at a sporting event you better believe I'd be looking for money and lots of it.

Why the hell shouldn't she?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭BoneIdol

She's lost sight in one eye. Permanently. For the rest of her life. That is a big deal.

She's 49 though. She probably doesn't have that much time left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Seems pretty T-ed off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

BoneIdol wrote: »
    She's 49 though. She probably doesn't have that much time left.

Literally at death's door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I'd say she'd love to take a swing at the golfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Why did she change her sunglasses?

Because she got a hole in one.

Crowbarred in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Was she allowed keep the golf ball?
    Some of then Titelists are pricey enough?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I'd rather watch golf on TV drink beer and still have my eye

I'd rather not watch golf on my TV, drink a beer, still have my eye, contemplating "thank fcuk I'm not watching golf, with my eyes intact"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,318 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Opinions please?

I don’t think you’re a terrible person, ill-informed perhaps, but that alone doesn’t make you a terrible person.

She says fore was not shouted, conflicting stories say it was. That is the crux of it. Wild shots happen, spectators get hit; cover your face and your head as best you can when you hear fore (and also don't spectate in a place where balls are more likely to land). She does not seem to have done this and this awful tragedy has now occurred.

Somebody shouting fore from about 200 - 300 yards away isn't much protection from a golf ball whizzing towards your face. Most likely the ball would arrive at the face quicker than the shout 'fore' would reach the ears.

To be fair to her, she was standing with the rest of the crowd, and they were standing where they were allowed to stand.

I'd imagine she will be successful in getting compensation.

As for her eyeball exploding, I think I'll wait and see what the doctors say about the situation.

Advertisement