Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Terrified of flying

• 04-10-2018 11:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭

So, yeah, I organised to get to Amsterdam with boats and trains, but my boat was cancelled. My only choice was fly or don't go.

So now I am in the airport bar. Please don't leave me alone with my own thoughts...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Just what you need before a flight, the thoughts of After Hours regulars! :D

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Well, if I want a good turn out at my funeral, I can only hope the thread goes viral...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Have another shot and a few zanax,be grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

fear-of-flying-justified-ha-tickle-my-funny-bone-fear-of-flying.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Be sure to have a few sups, then close your eyes once ya sit and with some luck you'll land when you wake.

AH is not a safe zone for this thread.lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Careful on the aul booze, no harm being a little sedated but don't overdo it, plenty of time for that when you get to Amsterdam.

Best of luck, and just remember that millions of people do this every day and are absolutely fine

If you've headphones with you put something nice and relaxing on them, try to chill.

Also perhaps take aside one of the crew (that looks nice) and let them know, they may check in on you if they can.

Finally perhaps you may get some herbal (hurhur) over the counter sedative in the pharmacy?

Good luck, have fun!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

It's not the flying you should be scared of, it's the sudden high-speed impact with the ground if anything bad happens that you should be most concerned about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Throw together a playlist featuring Lynyrd Skynyrd, Buddy Holl, John Denver, Otis Redding and Randy Rhoads-era Ozzy.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

amcalester wrote: »
    It's not the flying you should be scared of, it's the sudden high-speed impact with the ground if anything bad happens that you should be most concerned about.

It might not be sudden even, it would take a while to come down from 38,000 feet, so you'll have plenty of time to think about the coming impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I used to terrified of flying. I'm more worried about crashing really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭indioblack

So, yeah, I organised to get to Amsterdam with boats and trains, but my boat was cancelled. My only choice was fly or don't go.

So now I am in the airport bar. Please don't leave me alone with my own thoughts...

I'm usually nervous about flying - and it's always in my head. I'm mostly OK on the flight - because there's nowhere to go except where the plane is going!
    When the plane lands and I go into the airport I wonder what all the fuss was about.
    I'll still be nervous before the next flight! That's me.

amcalester wrote:

Ah no, I will have died of pure terror long before that. Planes rarely drop quickly out of the sky; there is usually some frantic manoeuvring by the pilots first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

I used to be a nervous flyer, but then adopted the attitude of once those plane doors close, its out of my hands.

Have a drink (don't over do it), get settled when you get on the plane, pop in the headphones and relax, close your eyes you will be landed before you know it.

Final Destination is a solid diversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

Like you I was terrified of flying. Came on out of nowhere. Flying for years and then in the early 2000s I started to hate it.

Went to a hypnotist, who was more of a psychologist, and talked it all through. I started to fear flying just after I got married and my wife got pregnant. He pinpointed that a new sense of responsibility and awareness of my mortality were causing my anxiety about flying. Took a little while but now I love flying, fall asleep before the wheels go up, sleep for 8/9 hours on long haul. Actually really enjoy it now. I took over 130 flights last year, some of them on small prop planes. Doesn't bother me at all.

Still though, it is just a big metal tube flying through the air!! how the hell do they stay up there! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Be sure to check the left phalange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Look at the statistics on how many people die on the road internationally VS how many people crash in planes.
    The odds are highly in your favour.

LirW wrote:
    Look at the statistics on how many people die on the road internationally VS how many people crash in planes. The odds are highly in your favour.

You do play the Euromillions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

You have nothing to worry about. The plane will get to Amsterdam safely.

It's actually safer than the boat and road trip you planned and also how you got to the airport.

Go easy on the alcohol, it does not really help fear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Op they run courses for folk who are terrified of flying..Good luck anyways and not a long flight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭indioblack

When you arrive in Amsterdam, let us know if you were as nervous during the flight as you expected to be.

You do play the Euromillions?

Gimme 130 mil now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

It is a scheduled flight - goes up and down every day without crashing. It often flew over your head maybe.

But now ... now it's different... you are on board. So all of a sudden it becomes special. It's a totally different situation.

Or maybe not.

LirW wrote:
    Gimme 130 mil now

I believe you are more likely to die in a plane crash than win the Euromillions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Just get to the gate on time, you don't want to be chasing it down the runway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

Is it your first flight ever OP?

No. I used to do a lot of flying; although I never liked it. A few panic attacks and crying jags later I decided it would be best if I did not fly.

I would cancel the trip, but I used to live there and have many friendships which have gone unattended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

What's to be scared of?

I remember felling this way before my first SOLO flight in 1982! I’m sure statistics won’t cut any mustard with you, but you will be far safer up in the air than anywhere down on the ground, and the journey you need to save your fear for is the next one, from airport to Amsterdam city centre. The air is an incredibly safe environment, and even in undeveloped countries where air transport can be dodgy it is usually still safer than making equivalent journey overland. Its all in the psychology. Turn your fear into excitement, flying is great fun and this warrants a raised pulse. Keep looking out the window as there’s lots to see (although cloudy today), bounce up and down yourself with the bumps and say to yourself Yippee and hope for bigger bumps! Lean into the banks, urge it to go further. You will surprise yourself at how darned tame it all is if you go for the excitement element in the brain. Fear and excitement revert closely related, and all trainee pilots have to go through it. Had to give up the flying myself due to eyesight, but I still take the odd aircraft up under supervision. Why not try a lesson or two yourself?

• Advertisement

I believe you are more likely to die in a plane crash than win the Euromillions.

The odds of dying in a plane crash are still pretty effin low. Yes when it goes wrong it goes wrong big time but then again it's more likely you'll be wiped out on school run.

Crash = dead, Euromillions = more money than I could ever spend, pretty darn unrelated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

Have you tried to google images of kittens and puppies?

LirW wrote:
    Crash = dead, Euromillions = more money than I could ever spend, pretty darn unrelated.

But you still get excited at the possibility. I am still afraid of the possibility.

LirW wrote:
    The odds of dying in a plane crash are still pretty effin low. Yes when it goes wrong it goes wrong big time but then again it's more likely you'll be wiped out on school run.

There is zero possibility of me getting wiped out on school run...

Have you tried to google images of kittens and puppies?

I have the theme from Airplane! on a loop. I find it makes it harder to take my situation seriously.

Flight delayed. Back to the bar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

What is it about flying that makes you anxious? I hate it too btw - I did a trip to NZ a few years ago; I was sure it'd wear off and I'd relax and calm down at some point in the 25 hours of flying over 2 days.

Nope - white-knuckles all the bloody way :( .

If it's turbulence that bothers you, I found it helped to close my eyes and just pretend I was on a bus which was driving down a muddy lane, which is about as bad as it ever normally is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Flying......pffffft........child's play.

Spiders is where the real terror is at :eek:

Flying......pffffft........child's play.

Spiders is where the real terror is at :eek:

What if you're on a plane and the whole flight crew dies and the only one left who can fly the plane is a great big hairy tarantula who just happens to be on board and you have to sit beside it and act as the co-pilot?

What then???

• Advertisement

B0jangles wrote: »
    What if you're on a plane and the whole flight crew dies and the only one left who can fly the plane is a great big hairy tarantula who just happens to be on board and you have to sit beside it and act as the co-pilot?

What then???

Ejector seat :D

Ejector seat :D

Fun Fact: Spiders can parachute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keJNDG7Hu1U

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Don't worry as you can see from this photo of an aircraft cross-section you're perfectly safe within its structure.

462960.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Amsterdam eh? Hmmm, I fancy a jaunt with some target practice thrown in. See you somewhere over the English Channel...

RAAF%20Spitfire%208C%20-%201.jpg

:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

On plane. 1 picture of Victoria Coren =1 prayer

On plane. 1 picture of Victoria Coren =1 prayer

Had to google who she is, prayer's not the first thought she would bring to my mind :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

There's nothing to be afraid of. Flying never hurt anyone.

Its impact you should be frightened of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

A you tube channel of relaxing shows to help you forget it all

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCcLJ_5kKD7NaWAwv1HvRQ8A

B0jangles wrote: »
    Fun Fact: Spiders can parachute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keJNDG7Hu1U

Oh God, why did I watch that :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Keep an eye on the flap things at the back of the wings, if they start moving/tilting it means the plane is struggling to hold its lift, and might start to fall out of the sky, i.e. youre probably going to crash and die.

I'd say you'll be grand though, enjoy your weekend

• Advertisement
Advertisement