Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sugar-coated Fat-filled Krispy Kreme Thread!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭fletch

I guess they are working through the night producing them (they're supplying shops & businesses?) so maybe it makes sense to have a person on the drive thru to pick up some trade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭radharc

KK going to close at 11.30pm from now on according to 98fm...

radharc wrote: »
    Including the drive thru? The store closes at 11pm already :confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I suspect that it will just make the daytime queues longer until the hype dies down, but at least the residents won't have to deal with idiots at night.

The drive-thru queue has already died down quite a bit in the morning so I reckon we've passed peak doughnut!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭aroundthehouse

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Just watched the video of people blasting their horns late last night, taken by one of the residents of the nearby apartment block. Whatever was the cause (I heard some group jumped the queue) it really is ingrate behaviour by those there to be blasting horns at that hour (or any hour) in that way. This is why we can't have nice things, kids... https://www.facebook.com/307836049740698/posts/435964976927804/

what in the name of high school football is wrong with people? why would you queue like that for a doughnut? I thought sheep were confined to the countryside...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,274 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Great news for those living next to it, I don't know how they coped with that noise. I doubt the 24 hour opening would have lasted anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

The outlet employs about 150 people. I wonder how many of them will now lose their jobs. Scumbag drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

The outlet employs about 150 people. I wonder how many of them will now lose their jobs. Scumbag drivers.

I'd say probably none will lose their jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Proper order too. The sooner this dies down the better. It's ridiculous that the people in the apartments had to suffer all that beeping throughout the night. I passed by last night, and there were some cars in the car park, but it wasn't full. And a queue of people waiting at the door to go in. All for some bloody doughnuts. Jesus wept.

I wonder how this will affect other businesses in the centre? Especially coming up to Christmas. I know people have been put off by the traffic disruption, and that's before you factor in the loss of half the carpark. Will they go to Liffey Valley instead? I don't think the Centre management have thought this through at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

It's just the drive thru facility that will close at 11:30, the store is still open so you can park up and walk in. Staff shouldn't be affected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Public order is an issue for the Garda. Where were they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

P...Especially coming up to Christmas. I know people have been put off by the traffic disruption, and that's before you factor in the loss of half the carpark. Will they go to Liffey Valley instead?

I think most people familiar with Blanch will know Blanch is a monumental disaster zone at this time of the year. So will go off peak or somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

PaddyBomb wrote: »
    It's just the drive thru facility that will close at 11:30, the store is still open so you can park up and walk in. Staff shouldn't be affected.

One story says
    The company says that its store will now open from 6am to 11.30pm.
    , not just the drive through. Might just be misreporting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

On the one hand, the drive through really should never have been open 24 hours midweek. On the other hand... those residents chose to live right next to a shopping centre...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

TheChrisD wrote: »
    On the one hand, the drive through really should never have been open 24 hours midweek. On the other hand... those residents chose to live right next to a shopping centre...

How many shopping centres do you know that facilitate 24 hour shopping and queuing traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Hurrache wrote: »
    not just the drive through. Might just be misreporting.

Yeah they actually haven't made it clear what's happening.

From their twitter:
    We’ve listened to our neighbours and we’re making changes. From tonight we will be closing our 24hr drive thru which will now be open between the hours of 6am and 11.30pm.

I would have thought that meant just the drive thru facility, which would stop the noise from the cars in the queue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

beauf wrote: »
    its usually like that most of December. Very bad design/planning of a shopping centre.

That's basically it, it's a terrible layout of a shopping centre.

miamee wrote: »
    Great news for those living next to it, I don't know how they coped with that noise.
    The one time it happened?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,274 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

The store was never to be opened 24hrs as far as I know. It's not 24 hours now anyway, the updated opening hours are on their site:

462885.png

• Advertisement

fletch wrote: »
    The one time it happened?

All weekend as far as I know (could be wrong but there were reports of it happening Saturday and Sunday night from residents on Facebook)

All weekend is not accurate, I meant both nights over the weekend. Any amount of that noise outside your house is too much if there is no obvious 'reason' for it. How are they to know how long it will keep up like that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭aroundthehouse

Cienciano wrote: »
    That's basically it, it's a terrible layout of a shopping centre.

i used to go shopping there but i avoid it now that liffey valley has become better, its a terrible layout, too scattered and always traffic jams

miamee wrote: »
    All weekend as far as I know (could be wrong but there were reports of it happening Saturday and Sunday night from residents on Facebook)

All weekend is not accurate, I meant both nights over the weekend. Any amount of that noise outside your house is too much if there is no obvious 'reason' for it. How are they to know how long it will keep up like that?
    People were beeping in that instance because somebody was skipping the queue. It was not happening all the time as is being suggested. I doubt cars running at idle are keeping people in apartments awake a couple of hundred metres away behind double glazed windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Once was too many times.

The bottom line in all of this is that the people blaring their horns were at fault. No blaring of horns, who really cares if there's a queue at 2am, it's just a bit funny is all. The Gardai have better things to be doing for sure, but they should have stepped in here and spent a few nights dropping in, issuing tickets and penalty points, checking for tax and NCT and generally making it known via their funny social media channels that they're around. And the blaring of horns could stop and people could get on with their otherwise odd but harmless business and keep a few people in their jobs / with the hours they've been promised.
    Nolimits wrote: »
    I'd say probably none will lose their jobs.

It's dropping from being open to serve customers 168 hours per week to 119 hours, or -49 hours in the week. Somebody is losing their job or the hours that makes it worthwhile to be a job.
    Proper order too. The sooner this dies down the better. It's ridiculous that the people in the apartments had to suffer all that beeping throughout the night. I passed by last night, and there were some cars in the car park, but it wasn't full. And a queue of people waiting at the door to go in. All for some bloody doughnuts. Jesus wept.

That's not really Krispy Kreme's fault now, is it? They have had staff there to try manage the car park from day 1. If people want to be antisocial and beep their horns at 2am, that's a public order issue and should be dealt with as such. There are plenty of McDonald's drive thrus open 24 hours at the weekend, there are queues, and idiots don't go blaring their horns and the knee jerk reaction be to close an amenity people clearly want, that pays other people their wages, because of a few eejits.

The shop always closes at night, around 11:30pm. Same as a Mickey D's etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭AlanG

The bottom line in all of this is that the people blaring their horns were at fault. No blaring of horns, who really cares if there's a queue at 2am, it's just a bit funny is all.

That's not really Krispy Kreme's fault now, is it? They have had staff there to try manage the car park from day 1. If people want to be antisocial and beep their horns at 2am, that's a public order issue and should be dealt with as such. c.

The land is private property - it's up to the Shopping Center management (who gave the lease to KK) to control what happens on the land. If they can't control it they have to take action.
    This is not the same as people making lots of noise and being anti social on a public road so while it is a public order issue it is legally the responsibility of the landlords and leaseholders. So it has been dealt with in the correct way by the correct people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,272 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

AlanG wrote: »
    The land is private property - it's up to the Shopping Center management (who gave the lease to KK) to control what happens on the land. If they can't control it they have to take action.
    This is not the same as people making lots of noise and being anti social on a public road so while it is a public order issue it is legally the responsibility of the landlords and leaseholders. So it has been dealt with in the correct way by the correct people.

100% right.

I've no doubt that was the nature of discussions between KK BSC Mgmt and the Gardaí.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 checky88

This is all over doughnuts? Unbelievable....... The Boom is back baby the BOOM is back!

AlanG wrote: »

I disagree. When someone is going wolla-wolla inside the shopping center as I've seen in the past, the Gardai are called to deal with it in the end. There is line between creating the theater of security and management of crowds etc, that center security deal with, and then dealing with actual illegal or antisocial behavior.

Where antisocial or illegal activity develops where a perfectly legitimate activity is taking place, there is a role then for the Gardai to step in to police it as they do currently in shopping centers around the country; that by their very nature attract crime with their crowds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

It's dropping from being open to serve customers 168 hours per week to 119 hours, or -49 hours in the week. Somebody is losing their job or the hours that makes it worthwhile to be a job.

The turnover of staff will be huge for a while, I wouldn't be surprised if a few have already left. Worst case scenario is they don't replace one or two people when they leave and shuffle around a little bit, that's if this is even a long term thing.

As for losing hours, I'd say at the moment it's all hands on deck and surely there wouldn't be more than one person on the drive thru most nights. I'd say the 24 hour part of the drive thru was because they'd have the staff in anyway making doughnuts during the night and they might as well get a bit of trade as they have all those bodies in.

Advertisement