Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sugar-coated Fat-filled Krispy Kreme Thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Great news it's closing early. Nobody is losing their min wage zero hour contract job so soon after opening.

Funnily work bought in about 15 boxes today and my god they were disgusting. Whatever happened to a solid blueberry muffin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

RasTa wrote: »
    Great news it's closing early. Nobody is losing their min wage zero hour contract job so soon after opening.

Funnily work bought in about 15 boxes today and my god they were disgusting. Whatever happened to a solid blueberry muffin.

If they stick the exact same doughnuts in a box with the branding of some fancy little independent hole in the wall you'd be on raving about how nice they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Patww79 wrote: »
    If they stick the exact same doughnuts in a box with the branding of some fancy little independent hole in the wall you'd be on raving about how nice they were.

I would rather die then pay €3 for a feckin doughnut

• Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭fletch

I know somebody working there and they're not on a zero hour contract and not on minimum wage and this is for a bottom of the rung job. They seem like a fairly decent employer so far. But yes nobody will be losing their job as they are still recruiting and only have about 2 staff manning the drive thru at night...the rest are involved in production

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

checky88 wrote: »
    This is all over doughnuts? Unbelievable....... The Boom is back baby the BOOM is back!

I was finally persuaded to go in yesterday after a week of constant nagging from the kids, I was in there to buy 3 doughnuts. I was in the minority buying just a few, most people were buying buying boxes of 12 with lots getting 24 (double dozen deal i think they call it). Throwing away €25 on doughnuts, I was amazed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The boxes were being sold from a trolley in the carpark to reduce queues on opening day. If they're still doing that it'll be pushing people to go for that option

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I like the KK doughnuts, but they're just doughnuts, something to be eaten once in blue moon - I couldn't see myself queuing for free ones never mind ones I have to pay for. What the hell are people thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

If only people were as concerned about the **** the country is in.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

miamee wrote: »
    Great news for those living next to it, I don't know how they coped with that noise. I doubt the 24 hour opening would have lasted anyway.

Sadly, classic Ireland , can't have nice things. Not that I would have queued up anyway but I'd love the ability to go get a coffee and a donut at 3am etc... (I often work quite late at night)

Sadly it seems like anything that opens late / 24h in Ireland gets ruined pretty quick by drunk people and anti social elements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Was driving past this morning on the way to work and there was no queue for the drive thru whatsoever, around 8am. I decided to drive in as I wanted a coffee anyway. Pleasant experience when there isn't a massive queue, but what a difference a day makes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Had one last week, my boss got a box of them for the office. Nice and all as they are I wouldn't be bothered buying them, certainly not late at night or after waiting for more than a few minutes.

I had a donut from a place beside Pearse St train station at the weekend and it was much nicer.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Was driving past this morning on the way to work and there was no queue for the drive thru whatsoever, around 8am. I decided to drive in as I wanted a coffee anyway. Pleasant experience when there isn't a massive queue, but what a difference a day makes!

It was the same yesterday morning at 8am, looked all quiet. However last night about 9.20pm, queue out the door and a rake of cars (nowhere near as bad as the weekend but I'd guess at 30 or so)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Has any one on here tried them, to me they are pastry just deep fried, have made them years ago, but they are not a great thing for the one with high cholestrol

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Gaspode wrote: »
    I like the KK doughnuts, but they're just doughnuts, something to be eaten once in blue moon - I couldn't see myself queuing for free ones never mind ones I have to pay for. What the hell are people thinking?
    It's like when McDonalds give out a free mcmuffin. Queue on the naas road sometimes goes around mcdonalds, out past the petrol station and onto the road. For a mcmuffin you can buy any day for €2. People are idiots.

Oh yeah, cheers mods, now it looks like I'm the fat loser who started a thread on krispy kreme donuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭eastie17

This is totally wrong, if the council gave them planning permission to be open 24 hours, questionable if they should have, but if they did then the law should be enforced and policed properly to stop people causing a nuisance. But no, solve the problem by closing down the business.
    I know chipper owners/late night food places who are terrified to call the guards if there is an issue. Instead of it being the punters fault for a)either getting out of their tits and acting up or b) someone who just wants to committee illegal anti social behavior, the guards give out to the business owner and may object to the council about their opening hours.
    Most chippers make the majority of their money in small towns when the pubs/nightclubs close. We all want that curry chips, or snack box or messy burger at that time of night. Its a service the public want. But when problems happen the last thing the guards want to do is police it and instead blame the owner. Something wrong with that equation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

It's just the way people's brains are wired. Look at the state of every forecourt when there's 1c off fuel or a free car wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭jimbev

eastie17 wrote: »
    This is totally wrong, if the council gave them planning permission to be open 24 hours, questionable if they should have, but if they did then the law should be enforced and policed properly to stop people causing a nuisance. But no, solve the problem by closing down the business.
    I know chipper owners/late night food places who are terrified to call the guards if there is an issue. Instead of it being the punters fault for a)either getting out of their tits and acting up or b) someone who just wants to committee illegal anti social behavior, the guards give out to the business owner and may object to the council about their opening hours.
    Most chippers make the majority of their money in small towns when the pubs/nightclubs close. We all want that curry chips, or snack box or messy burger at that time of night. Its a service the public want. But when problems happen the last thing the guards want to do is police it and instead blame the owner. Something wrong with that equation.

Absolutely spot on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Cienciano wrote: »
    Oh yeah, cheers mods, now it looks like I'm the fat loser who started a thread on krispy kreme donuts!

Whoops! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

eastie17 wrote: »

Well, we don't seem to have enough guards about the place to enforce far more important laws. It is probably better that they don't have to waste time babysitting a bunch of mouth-breathers tooting their horns in frustration while they wait for post-midnight donuts!
    It is probably not the end of the world if people can't buy Krispy-Kremes around the clock!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It's not really the donuts. People want to feel part of something. Generally people who have no hobbies or interests will be mad into this. With the added exclusivity involved, these people will feel special when they get their first box.

At least the donuts seem more popular than the Pope, so there's that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Experiment failed !
    So queues around the block is a reason to give up !
    I dont think you understand how business works
    bizarre "logic"
    +1, very odd!
    Yes experiment failed, can't cope with the traffic. Shut it down or close it at 5pm everyday.
    strange to call it an experiment, is it just the 24hr thing or what? Who are the experimenters? krispy kreme or the council? Who are you asking to shut it down, the council somehow or krispy kreme themselves?

If it was my dount shop I would call it a roaring success, not a failure. If the council said I had to do something then there were a few options I can immediately think of. Increase the price temporarily is blatantly obvious to me, I was surprised that they were the price they are, equivalent ones in tesco are 1.50 and most other donut places charge a lot more.

If a corporation does not want to be seen to be gouging they could have doubled the price and given it to charity. It is obviously not going to continue like this forever. Double might not be enough, I see a dozen are €32 in the rolling donut, a dozen are €17 in krispy kreme.

They could have had staff out spotting who is beeping and simply refuse to serve them. Have big signs stating this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Jammers again this morning, I passed by and saw the queue out the door, and maybe 30 or more cars queued up in the drive thru.

It's a novelty, it's something most Irish people have heard about for years via tv and film etc but have never experienced. Now they can. After a while it'll be no busier than any other shop. As long as the traffic and queues are managed properly until that happens, sure let them at it.

Dentists everywhere will be making a killing in a while too. Swings and roundabouts :D

I went to krispy kreme in America and though it was average enough. But I'll give it a go when the hype dies down. Was in Blanchardstown yesterday, saw people walking back to their car with 3 boxes of donuts. That's 36 donuts. Who the **** buys 36 donuts?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I noticed that on the media reports. Many customers had 3 or 4 boxes. 36-48 donuts! WTF!!! One woman on Tv3/Virgin news said she waited 90 minutes but that it was "worth it"!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

ongarboy wrote: »
    I noticed that on the media reports. Many customers had 3 or 4 boxes. 36-48 donuts! WTF!!! One woman on Tv3/Virgin news said she waited 90 minutes but that it was "worth it"!!!

I wouldn't wait 90 minutes if I was getting them for free. An hour and a half for donuts?! Man, come on. I was driving thru Blanch Centre last night at 10:15pm and it was like the apocalypse still. It did look like a social thing as well though for teenagers, which is grand. Loads of them walking around in Krispy Kreme sailor hats, which is not grand :pac:

OK, finally had one of these elusive donuts. They are nice, I'll give them that. Ring ones are light and fluffy. Jam ones are good too, weird jam in them, but still good. I'd recommend them, but I certainly wouldn't queue for them. Maybe pick a box up if I was going to a birthday party if I was driving past anyway.
    The plastic bag is designed to hold about 6 boxes of them. That was slightly worrying that people might need this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭RoryMac

I went yesterday around 5:30pm and queued for about 15 mins, queues moving very quickly.

Donuts are grand but while in the queue the amount of donuts people were coming out with was shocking, lots of people coming out with 3 & 4 boxes each.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I honestly don't get it.

I can see it dieing down though after the craze of it wears off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I drove past it Sunday morning at 7:30am. There was a queue, couldn't believe it. I really can't see why there is so much hype over this place, it's only donuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Irish people are FOMO sheeple. I'm pretty bad myself (though I'm not an early adopter)

Thats all there is to this KK thing, sheer novelty and the chance to do something slightly ridiculous. Think about how many people you know that tipped buckets of ice water over their heads 4 years ago when they could have just donated to MND sitting on the sofa nice and dry.

I'd go so far as to say in a year or two KK wont even be turning over enough to afford their rent, while people go back to getting their doughnuts (note spelling) from Super Valu with a Superquinn label on them like we've always done

Advertisement