Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sugar-coated Fat-filled Krispy Kreme Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

How much do they charge per doughnut/ per 12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

How much do they charge per doughnut/ per 12

Depends which ones you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

A rough figure will do and how many varieties is there

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

There is boxes made up think was 8 in it at over €13

Varieties.

12 original are €13.95
    12 mixed are €16.95
    And both of the above together are €24.95.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

Patww79 wrote: »
    Varieties.

12 original are €13.95
    12 (pre-selected) mixed are €16.95
    12 (pick your own) mixed are €17.95
    And both of the above together are €24.95.

Minor correction to the above post, and might be 25.95 to get the original dozen on top of self-selected?

I just want a box of 12 Nutella.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I just want a box of 12 Nutella.

Buy some donuts and buy some Nutella and save yourself a small fortune

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Weepsie wrote: »
    Buy some donuts and buy some Nutella and save yourself a small fortune

You but that won't get you likes on social media.

Omackeral wrote: »
    You but that won't get you likes on social media.

Why would someone put a box of doughnuts on social media?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The same reason why they'd for doughnuts at 3am for over an hour while beeping their horn.
    They're idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Have you ever been on social media?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

The people saying 'omg people were buying like 5 boxes, who needs that many donuts' a lot of people are queuing and buying for a lot of people, so 5 boxes to each one of their family members (i.e. when I got mine I didn't queue, a friend did and they bought 3 boxes, one for my family of 6, one for their family of 6 and another box for their sisters family of 4.) The donuts start going stale after about a day and a half so they don't last that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Some would be buying for companies. I also heard there were 2 queues and to join the faster one you had to be buying at least 12.

They are also not that expensive, relative to similar outlets (I still consider them overpriced).

here are some old articles about dunkin donuts over here, never knew lyons tea had them.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/lyons-tea-not-to-renew-its-dunkin-donuts-contract-1.119069
    Lyons tea not to renew its Dunkin' Donuts contract
    Fri, Oct 24, 1997, 01:00
    BRENDAN MCGRATH

Share to Facebook
    Share to Twitter
    Share to Email App
    Share to LinkedIn

The business combination of tea and doughnuts has fallen apart, leaving Allied Domecq hoping to complete a new franchise agreement for Dunkin' Donuts in the Republic in the near future. This follows the decision of tea company Lyons Irish Holdings not to renew its franchise once the fiveyear term expires shortly. Allied Domecq was the former majority shareholder in Lyons until Unilever acquired control of the company last year.

Ms Brenda Williams of Allied Domeq Retailing said that the Dunkin' Donuts franchise will be awarded to a single franchisee and that there is no question of the stores being franchised out to a number of franchisees.

"We would hope to have a new franchisee as soon as possible," said Ms Williams

Ms Chamaine Keenan, who has been general manager of Dunkin' Donuts, Ireland, since Lyons obtained the franchise in 1992, is buying the lease on some of the outlets but these will not trade as Dunkin' Donuts. Lyons will sell the remaining shares and expects to suffer a loss on the disposals which will be treated as a once-off item in the 1997 accounts. The value of the net assets being sold is £992,000.

Lyons chief executive Mr Pierce Butler said that Dunkin' Donuts has been a success for Lyons but the group had taken the view that it is a business best run by a company already in the franchise business.

Mr Butler said that Lyons will now concentrate on its core tea distribution business in the Republic and Northern Ireland.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/dunkin-donuts-to-expand-1.174433
    Dunkin' Donuts to expand
    Fri, Apr 16, 1999, 01:00
    SIOBHAN CREATON

Share to Facebook
    Share to Twitter
    Share to Email App
    Share to LinkedIn

Dunkin' Donuts is planning a massive expansion in the Republic, opening 30 outlets and employing up to 500 people over the next 18 months.

The franchise will be operated by brothers, Mr Gary and Mr Neil White, who currently run the franchise in Northern Ireland. The first full store is expected to open in Dublin in October.

Mr Gary White said the new stores will offer the full range of Dunkin' Donuts including speciality coffee, hand-made doughnuts, sandwiches and Baskin Roberts ice cream.

Mr White acquired the master licence for the Republic from Allied Domecq Retailing International. The brothers already operate 16 outlets in Northern Ireland, employing 150 people. They first secured that franchise in 1997.

The White brothers previously ran petrol stations in Northern Ireland, before selling their interests to buy the franchise. The new outlets will be based mainly in large towns and cities, with smaller sites to be established at petrol stations and shopping centres over the next couple of years.

The franchise in the Republic was previously held by the tea company Lyons Irish Holdings. In 1997 it decided not to renew the five-year contract and it has remained closed since. Dunkin' Donuts is a multi-million dollar global business with more than 4,200 stores in 43 countries worldwide. It sells four million doughnuts daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

They took in 650k euro last Wednesday. Another business owner in blanch let me know..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

tedpan wrote: »
    They took in 650k euro last Wednesday. Another business owner in blanch let me know..

I know they sell coffee as well but let’s keep it to doughnuts and say €15 a box, that’s over 43,000 boxes. Over 1800 an hour or 30 boxes a minute. Is that possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭radharc

Lol

I know they sell coffee as well but let’s keep it to doughnuts and say €15 a box, that’s over 43,000 boxes. Over 1800 an hour or 30 boxes a minute. Is that possible?
    anything is possible to the bloke in the pub...

Good money running a donut empire.

1zbh3y1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I wonder who they're washing money for...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

rubadub wrote: »
    Some would be buying for companies. I also heard there were 2 queues and to join the faster one you had to be buying at least 12.
    My wife went in on Saturday at about 3:30pm. I thought she couldn't pick a worse time, maybe about 6 when shoppers are finished would be worse. But she said yes, there's 2 queues. 1 is for premade boxes where you can get a variety of pre selected ones or a box of the plain sugar glazed ones. That queue took just 10 minutes. The bigger queue was where you select your own. The really big queue which was the drive through and she was told by security (yes, security are directing people in the car park which is partially fences off to make room for the queue) was an hour. Just think how slow people would be in cars, asking stupid questions like "what flavour have you got" and only 1 person to serve and take orders.

So, if you want to go, park the car, walk in and get the premade boxes. And very nice they are too, I disagree Larbre34, if I ever felt the need to get donuts (which is about once every 2 years) I'd definitely go to KK ahead of supervalue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

Speaking to staff last week (trainers who were in from the UK) on the first day they took in €120k between 7am and 7pm, that then feel to €80k a day for the first week, again from 7am to 7pm. this is still a mental amount of turnover and they will probably have their yearly rent banked in the first couple of weeks.

I actually bought some wanky hipster donuts in supervalu in tyrellstown on Thursday last because someone told me they were nicer than Krispy Kreme (I actually just typed that as crispy cream and was wondering why it looked wrong...). It was 3 for 6 euro or 1.50 each. I bought 9 (4 of my own kids two nieces my sister myself and my husband) so spent 18 euro on 9 donuts and they were awful. Dry and tasteless. Xo was the brand I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I bought some doughnuts yesterday. I went in, picked out the ones I wanted, paid, and left. The whole thing took maybe two minutes. This didn't happen in KK, of course, but it's the only way any rational person should be purchasing doughnuts. They're doughnuts, for f**k's sake, you're not buying a car or an engagement ring. Got them in Off Beat and they're delicious.

I'm sorry, but queuing in your car for an hour to buy doughnuts, I both envy how much free time you have and pity you for how little you have to do with it. In the meantime, you're making the Blanch centre a nightmare for the rest of us who need to do actual necessary stuff there, just for a few likes on Insta. Jaysus.

LorelaiG wrote: »
    I actually bought some wanky hipster donuts in supervalu in tyrellstown on Thursday last because someone told me they were nicer than Krispy Kreme (I actually just typed that as crispy cream and was wondering why it looked wrong...). It was 3 for 6 euro or 1.50 each. I bought 9 (4 of my own kids two nieces my sister myself and my husband) so spent 18 euro on 9 donuts and they were awful. Dry and tasteless. Xo was the brand I think.
    doesn't make sense, 1.50 each, or buy 3 for 2euro a pop.

Problem with supermarkets is they might be yesterdays. Not sure if they have reps or some other way to stop them selling stale ones. I remember in work they got tim horton ones which were obviously at least a day old.

To the makers they cost pittance so they would want to be really scabby to be trying to offload stale ones if they are selling from their own premises.

rubadub wrote: »
    doesn't make sense, 1.50 each, or buy 3 for 2euro a pop.

Problem with supermarkets is they might be yesterdays. Not sure if they have reps or some other way to stop them selling stale ones. I remember in work they got tim horton ones which were obviously at least a day old.

To the makers they cost pittance so they would want to be really scabby to be trying to offload stale ones if they are selling from their own premises.

Sorry! 2.50 each not 1.50!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Happened to be up in Homestore and Woodies around 6 this evening, so when we were finished we decided to wander over and see what the queue was like. There were only a couple of people in it so we decided to get a doughnut each (only two of us, no need for a dozen). I have to say that even though we were only queueing for about 10 minutes, it really wasn't worth the wait.
    Compared to Offbeat and the now defunct Aungier Danger, for example, the doughnuts were, in a word, crap. If I'd queued for an hour or more for them like people seem happy to do, I'd have been livid. Sure they were freshly made, but they're overly sweet and the texture lacks the doughy part of the name. Mine was better than my wife's, but that really was only down to the topping tbh. As we were leaving we looked at the drive-thru queue, there were at least 25 cars in it and they didn't look like they were moving particularly fast.

So imo what we're left with is that we've lost half a car park in a shopping centre that could really do with more parking at busy times, not less. And we've also lost the chance of a decent doughnut shop like Offbeat or Rolling Donut opening in Blanch because we're now stuck with this franchised behemoth that has completely cornered the market and will continue to do so long after the doughnut craze dies down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The guardian has a piece on this - you're world famous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The guardian has a piece on this - you're world famous.

Not just the Guardian, it was on the Washington Post and CNN websites too.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭aluminium

2 x18 year olds arrived home from KK, on Friday night. Both work minimum wage part time getting money for college.

They had 4 boxes of donughts. I declined one as i was going to bed.

However i woke up at 6, thought of the donughts and said Id have an american breckfast, ground coffee and a d-nut.

They were all gone.............. 4 kids aged 18,18,19 and 21 eat 4 bloddy boxes in one go. 17 euro a box.....
    jesus

• Advertisement

aluminium wrote: »
    2 x18 year olds arrived home from KK, on Friday night. Both work minimum wage part time getting money for college.

They had 4 boxes of donughts. I declined one as i was going to bed.

However i woke up at 6, thought of the donughts and said Id have an american breckfast, ground coffee and a d-nut.

They were all gone.............. 4 kids aged 18,18,19 and 21 eat 4 bloddy boxes in one go. 17 euro a box.....
    jesus

Late night munchies will do that to you... Ha

Advertisement