Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sugar-coated Fat-filled Krispy Kreme Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Zaph wrote: »
    How did people fill their Sunday evenings before now when there were no doughnuts to queue for?
    I think the answer to that would shed light on why the management are not taking "the ONLY sensible option" and shut down the drive thru.

It is not going to last, and krispy kreme obviously know this, otherwise we would see indications of plans to set up other outlets all over the country -if it really is such a crazy goldmine peculiar to this country.

If it was such a good idea why are the places like offbeat not opening drive thrus. McDonalds already do donuts. If it is such a cash cow why not increase their game - I figure it is since they see if for what it is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Cienciano wrote: »
    Blanch shopping centre has serious traffic issues. It's such a bad layout compared to liffey valley

Agree 100% . Was there last Saturday week and the amount of time it took to get out of the carpark, exiting near lifestyle turning left, towards Crowne Plaza took an age. Not sure the bloke doing traffic was helping much. I made a decision to avoid for my annual pre and post Christmas shopping. Hopefully I won't get vouchers, or it will be March before I venture near again.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

rubadub wrote: »
    I think the answer to that would shed light on why the management are not taking "the ONLY sensible option" and shut down the drive thru.

It is not going to last, and krispy kreme obviously know this, otherwise we would see indications of plans to set up other outlets all over the country -if it really is such a crazy goldmine peculiar to this country.

If it was such a good idea why are the places like offbeat not opening drive thrus. McDonalds already do donuts. If it is such a cash cow why not increase their game - I figure it is since they see if for what it is...

You're missing the point - it's not that drive-thrus are so lucrative that everyone should be building one, it's the design and layout of this particular drive-thru that's the problem. Look at McDonalds or KFC in the centre, their drive-thrus direct the traffic around their respective buildings, containing the queues to relatively small areas. The KK one isn't designed like that, it's at the side of a building that faces onto an existing car park, so the queue snakes around that car park rather than the building. This has resulted in the centre losing half a car park and the queue causing problems in the other half. I agree that the fuss will die down in time, but if it doesn't as it gets closer to Christmas some more drastic action will need to be considered, because it's a nightmare as it is up there in November and December.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I couldn't be bothered shopping in the centre anymore. Liffey Valley all the way for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

You're missing the point - it's not that drive-thrus are so lucrative that everyone should be building one, it's the design and layout of this particular drive-thru that's the problem. Look at McDonalds or KFC in the centre, their drive-thrus direct the traffic around their respective buildings, containing the queues to relatively small areas. The KK one isn't designed like that, it's at the side of a building that faces onto an existing car park, so the queue snakes around that car park rather than the building. This has resulted in the centre losing half a car park and the queue causing problems in the other half. I agree that the fuss will die down in time, but if it doesn't as it gets closer to Christmas some more drastic action will need to be considered, because it's a nightmare as it is up there in November and December.

in theory the drive through can be shorter as donuts are ready made and don't have a prep time and coffee only takes a minute, if it was operating at normal levels it would be fine but the hype has gone to bread in the snow level proportions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

At what point will the centre's management come to realise that closing the drive-thru is the only sensible option? I was up there around 7 and the queue for it was through the open part of the car park beside TGIs and out onto the road because the car park entrance closest to the roundabout was completely cordoned off. So whether you want doughnuts or not, you're getting caught up in the queue for them. That queue was a little shorter when we were leaving about an hour later, but the pedestrian queue outside the shop had gone from maybe 40 people to at least double that. How did people fill their Sunday evenings before now when there were no doughnuts to queue for?
    Definitely, closing the drive-tru would be better for everyone. Especially the idiots that queue in the drive-tru.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Happy4all wrote: »
    Agree 100% . Was there last Saturday week and the amount of time it took to get out of the carpark, exiting near lifestyle turning left, towards Crowne Plaza took an age. Not sure the bloke doing traffic was helping much. I made a decision to avoid for my annual pre and post Christmas shopping. Hopefully I won't get vouchers, or it will be March before I venture near again.

The blokes doing traffic are part of the problem rather than the solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

blanch152 wrote: »
    The blokes doing traffic are part of the problem rather than the solution.

They are a nightmare. One of them waved me out of a carpark last christmas into on coming traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Blanch shopping centre has serious traffic issues. It's such a bad layout compared to liffey valley

Have you ever actually driven in Liffey Valley at peak? It's worse. Way way worse.

L1011 wrote: »
    Have you ever actually driven in Liffey Valley at peak? It's worse. Way way worse.

I've been in Liffey Valley probably once a fortnight for the last 10 years! I've never had a single traffic issue, including christmas. As I said earlier, I go in the back b&q entrance, round to the left and park near m&s.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I've been in Liffey Valley probably once a fortnight for the last 10 years! I've never had a single traffic issue, including christmas. As I said earlier, I go in the back b&q entrance, round to the left and park near m&s.

If there's no traffic issues, then why would you need to go all the way around the back?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

So you go wildly out of the way then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I go straight for those doors too even though there would be no traffic and plenty of space in other ones. Whether someone walks an extra 30 steps or not, it's still infinitely better than Blanchardstown.

L1011 wrote: »
    So you go wildly out of the way then?

It's not out of my way. And at least there's a traffic free option, Blanch is a disaster no matter what way you head in. And getting out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

so they are giving out free doughnuts still... is that why the queues are still stupid?
    I've gone up a few times (not especially, was in the centre anyway) since they opened to taste what all the fuss is about, but there aint no way I'm gonna queue for a doughnut

has there ever not been a queue since they opened the doors?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Seve OB wrote: »
    so they are giving out free doughnuts still... is that why the queues are still stupid?
    I've gone up a few times (not especially, was in the centre anyway) since they opened to taste what all the fuss is about, but there aint no way I'm gonna queue for a doughnut

I go through the center early ish, around 9 am and the last couple of weeks there hasn't been a queue

• Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Queues already seem to by dying down except at peak times, similar to the queues for Eddie Rockets at peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Unrelated question, but has Musashi next door opened yet or does it look like it might open soon?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

No queue there last night at 8pm. I think it might only be at weekends now. But the centre is a bit mad then anyway.
    Already looking forward to the christmas traffic at the centre :(

might pop in one morning so and get a few doughnuts for the office coffee break

• Advertisement

troyzer wrote: »
    Unrelated question, but has Musashi next door opened yet or does it look like it might open soon?

Cheers.

I was in esquire coffee last week which is next door. don't know how long that's open, never spotted it with all the krispi building work going on so I've no idea how long they are open.
    was very nice

might pop in one morning so and get a few doughnuts for the office coffee break

Was thinking of doing the same. Just park the car and walk in, I doubt there'll be anyone there at around 8:30am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I'll chance it some time in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

There wasn't one when I walked in there about 9.30am last Wednesday.

Was thinking of doing the same. Just park the car and walk in, I doubt there'll be anyone there at around 8:30am

I've no intention of going through the drive in.

sure may as well stretch the legs and see what the inside is like

Cheers.

I was in esquire coffee last week which is next door. don't know how long that's open, never spotted it with all the krispi building work going on so I've no idea how long they are open.
    was very nice

Eh, what?

I was asking about Musashi.

Eh, what?

you said it was next door to krispi.

esquire is next door

Eh, what?

you said it was next door to krispi.

esquire is next door

I didn't mean literally next door. I meant next door as in inside the same complex.

I would have thought Musashi was the more important detail than next door.

Musashi is a Japanese chain of restaurants, they announced ages ago that they're putting one into that retail unit with the Krispy Kreme, Subway etc.

fair enough, I thought you might just have gotten the name wrong

I didn't spot any Japanese restaurant there

• Advertisement

fair enough, I thought you might just have gotten the name wrong

I didn't spot any Japanese restaurant there

Fair enough, they've had the sign outside for a while. Hmm.

Advertisement