Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scooter / moped - insurance

Options
  • 04-10-2018 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Help!

I plan to move to Celbridge in the coming months and can't not face the commute to Dublin on the 67 bus everyday. Work is beside Merrion Square, so I am hoping to commute on a scooter / moped (use the bus maybe on a rainy day!)

I am looking for help on this following:
    • Insurance - what roughly are the costs and who is best (I am 29, full drivers license and a named driver for over 10 years, no points)
    • Recommendations for scooters / mopeds (I have a soft spot for Honda 50s, but don't think they are easily available)

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Do you have an "M" licence ?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BOBIDGE

No, I have a B and W.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭D3V!L

BOBIDGE wrote: »
    No, I have a B and W.

Well then you're not driving anything with two wheels until you get your theory test and IBT

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Honestly, the best thing is to go around to local Bike shops in Dublin that sell scooters, have a look at them and see which ones catch your eye.

Write down the reg number and call up a few insurance companies (Carol Nash/Principal/Liberty) and ask for quotes to get an idea.

You'll still need to do an IBT and Theory Test.

Lastly, I'm not big on directions and distance in Dublin, but iirc the drive from Cellbridge to Dublin city is about 40 minutes or so? That would be a monster of a journey on a scooter, especially with winter coming and wind/rain so you'd probably be better off getting an actual bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You would want to be looking at 125cc or much bigger.

I would suggest going for the A licence and get a proper bike or at least do test on a proper one with gears.

You will get bored very quickly of a 50cc or even a 125cc.

I started out on a 50cc and moved up to 125 then a motorcycle.
    Insurance was a big issue on what I could get back in them days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

That's a 40+ minute commute on a bike.

A fairly daunting commute for someone whose never been on a bike, given you will need to be filtering to make it worthwhile.

I would go do your ibt before buying anything, be sure you like riding bikes before you commit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

That's a 40+ minute commute on a bike.

A fairly daunting commute for someone whose never been on a bike, given you will need to be filtering to make it worthwhile.

I would go do your ibt before buying anything, be sure you like riding bikes before you commit.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭MSVforever

+1 on the full A license.
    A 50cc scooter is not allowed on motorways and car drivers will become annoyed with you as they are limited to 45kph. ......

Get at least a 600cc bike and you will be whizzing through traffic and also have enough poke to get you away from dangerous situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Come on, have your ever seen a 50cc scooter on the road, surely you know this is a daft idea. Get a 600 or a car if you don't want to get the bus.

Advertisement