Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do the job before you get the job

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wench

If the job is designed for you, around your very particular set of skills, why is there then a question over whether you can actually do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 UnthoughtKnown

There's going to be no other candidates. I am the preferred "Liam Neeson" candidate. There's no head count for it, its a very lean part of the organisation.

I have a feeling it might be what dennyk alluded to. They just don't to spend the money just to see can they get away with it. Save their budget etc.

Give me a week or two and I'll get to the bottom of it and report back!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 UnthoughtKnown

And just to clarify, my skillset isn't anything cool or rare in the average workplace. I just happen to be in a organisation where they don't hire many of "me" , which works in my favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,075 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I've emailed the directors who I have been reporting to, and will be reporting to. I've asked for clarification on certain aspects of the role, this way at least when they reply, I'll have my responsibilities in writing. After that, I will approach the package.
    Just a suggestion - these things generally aren't sorted out effectively by email. Find the key person that you'll be reporting and sit down face to face, eye to eye to discuss the package and future options.

You'll want something in writing/email before things proceed, but do the deal in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

To play devils advocate for a second, OP.
    I'm working now in a large multinational with "grades" as someone mentioned earlier.
    I was working here before, took a few years off to work as a contractor/consultant, then came back.

In my org structure it is well known that the new director (approx 1 year in situ) is very much geared towards "do the job then get the job".

At any one time, at least 10% of his org is on an internship/contingency/temporary "promotion etc.

I am on my second, having done one last year for 6 months then got the grade for it, and did the job for 6 months.

It's very difficult when it's not written down and yes anything can happen etc but if you force their hand as some describe above you run the risk of both a) not getting the position and b) completely ruling yourself out of future promotions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

When I started my job I had to do a 6 month probation and once I passed that I was given the salary the job had advertised ( I was on slightly less for the 6 month probation ) is that not common practice for most companies :confused:

It's getting common and sometimes can be much longer than six months. A lot of multinationals now call these 'development opportunities', but it's just basically cheap labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 NightStone

Yes for sure on the long probation wrapped up in shiny "development opportunities".
    I was speaking with a person who took a job with an 11 month probation period .....,!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

There's going to be no other candidates. I am the preferred "Liam Neeson" candidate. There's no head count for it, its a very lean part of the organisation.

I have a feeling it might be what dennyk alluded to. They just don't to spend the money just to see can they get away with it. Save their budget etc.

Give me a week or two and I'll get to the bottom of it and report back!

Take the opportunity put it on your CV straight away. Then leverage it by seeing what other jobs are out there. If you get a better offer move.

Advertisement