Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet for new built house

Options
  • 04-10-2018 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

I have had a quick can through the threads and cannot find one similar to this.

We recently moved in to a new build house in Wicklow. We have been in contact with numerous internet providers, Eir, Sky, Virgin and a couple of others.
    Every company tell us over the phone, yes that is no problem we can supply you with internet, we will organize an engineer to visit the house to install the relevant equipment. I take a half day in work to let hem in and then
    they turn around and say sorry but we cannot get internet for you. Call back in a couple of weeks and we will try again.
    I was discussing this with neighbours and it turns out some have been living there for nearly 2 years now with no internet at all while other random houses dotted around the estate have internet installed. I have even seen one of them with a modem installed just inside the front door, so I know its true.
    We spoke to the builder who told us every house in the estate that is finished and people are living in should be able to get internet no problem as all the relevant equipment (cables, ducts etc.) is installed.
    The issue is I normally work from home 2 days a week but I cannot anymore as the internet on my phone is not good enough to support general browsing, uploading, downloading etc..
    I looked in to getting a USB portable internet dongle thingy but they are pretty expensive for the small allowance you are allowed. Our neighbor has one as he also works from home full time and he says he goes over his allowance in about 2 weeks so the 2nd half of every month he pays a fortune to keep it going.
    Anybody else have or ever had this issue and know a possible solution.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

It's quite hard to give advice without knowing more detail.

Do you know which ISP your neighbour has service with?

Do you have an active phone line in your home?

If not do any of your neighbours have active phone lines and you know the phone number?

Have you entered your Eircode on:

http://www.airwire.ie/avail

What result do you get from it?

Start from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

I looked in to getting a USB portable internet dongle but they are pretty expensive for the small allowance you are allowed.

As an interim measure try a Three PAYG phone SIM unlimited data for 4 weeks costs 20 euro. Peak time is after working hours so speeds should be reasonable during the day, depending of course on there being an OK signal at your location.

Eir offer PAYG data SIMs 50GB for 30 euro per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

It's quite hard to give advice without knowing more detail.

Do you know which ISP your neighbour has service with?

Do you have an active phone line in your home?

If not do any of your neighbours have active phone lines and you know the phone number?

Have you entered your Eircode on:

http://www.airwire.ie/avail

What result do you get from it?

Start from there.

ISP - Internet Service Provider?
    Well one house has Eir and another house claim to have Sky internet.
    No, we do not have phone lines and therefore do not have a number.
    I have just entered the Eircode in, said we can get VDSL broadband.
    Thanks for the response.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    As an interim measure try a Three PAYG phone SIM unlimited data for 4 weeks costs 20 euro. Peak time is after working hours so speeds should be reasonable during the day, depending of course on there being an OK signal at your location.

Eir offer PAYG data SIMs 50GB for 30 euro per month.

Myself and my partner are both with Three on our phones. We have decent coverage in the morning up to about 2 o'clock. Once is passes 2 there is nothing, extremely slow internet that disconnects every 10 minutes or so.
    We have another neighbour who has a Three dongle, constantly shows that they have 4G coverage yet they cannot watch a show on Netflix. Seems pointless trying them.
    i am just wondering would everybody else be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You need the fail reason from the ISPs you ordered with. Probably full cab. Ordering slower broadband should work fine in that cicrumstance.

• Advertisement

ISP - Internet Service Provider?
    Well one house has Eir and another house claim to have Sky internet.
    No, we do not have phone lines and therefore do not have a number.
    I have just entered the Eircode in, said we can get VDSL broadband.
    Thanks for the response.

Sorry yes Internet Service Provider.

That VDSL checker is not totally reliable. It just means you are in proximity to a cabinet. You may not be able to connect to it. Do you know the phone number of either of the homes that have eir or Sky?

ED E wrote: »
    You need the fail reason from the ISPs you ordered with. Probably full cab. Ordering slower broadband should work fine in that cicrumstance.

Interesting, I have rang up all companies to give a full explanation as to why we cannot get the internet and when we can expect to get it. Each and every time they say we will have to send an engineer around the see why. But an engineer has already been out, why not ask him.
    I just don't understand them.
    I have asked them all is there anything at all we can get (as in slower internet), again, the answer is we will need to send an engineer around.
    Its getting very irritating, as I can't keep taking half days off work to be told no you can't get it.

Sorry yes Internet Service Provider.

That VDSL checker is not totally reliable. It just means you are in proximity to a cabinet. You may not be able to connect to it. Do you know the phone number of either of the homes that have eir or Sky?

No idea if they have phone number unfortunately.
    The cabinet is directly across the road from our house. I feel like breaking it open to see if there is actually any cables installed inside it.
    Virgin are doing some work on the road outside the estate. Hopefully they may sort something out for us.

No idea if they have phone number unfortunately.
    The cabinet is directly across the road from our house. I feel like breaking it open to see if there is actually any cables installed inside it.
    Virgin are doing some work on the road outside the estate. Hopefully they may sort something out for us.

If there is no phone cable to your home they would need to send an engineer to investigate whether the path to the cabinet or exchange is clear or if there is some other problem. The engineer should be able to tell you in relatively clear terms what the issue is if there is one.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Skip that. Whoever sent the technician the first time, call them. Get them to lookup the wholesale order. It will say why it failed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What exactly did Virgin say/do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Thammer

Skip that. Whoever sent the technician the first time, call them. Get them to lookup the wholesale order. It will say why it failed.

Lol

If there is no phone cable to your home they would need to send an engineer to investigate whether the path to the cabinet or exchange is clear or if there is some other problem. The engineer should be able to tell you in relatively clear terms what the issue is if there is one.

See according to the builder there is, according to Eir there isn't. But Eir came out to install one and said they couldn't. But then the builder says well there is no reason why they cannot as the duct is installed down there.
    I will get back on to Eir and see if they can expand on this.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What exactly did Virgin say/do?

Not very much to be honest. I rang them, they told me they could provide us with internet, organised for the install to be done and then I got a call off them before they even came out to say actually it wasn't possible, they were in another house in the estate a few days ago and it wasn't possible in there. So they cancelled the visit.
    But they are doing work all over the town, there are roadworks on every road with Virgin signs on the hoarding. Hopefully we can get something soon.

Eir and Sky have been out. I will call then and ask them to expand on the reason why we cannot get internet in to the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

See according to the builder there is, according to Eir there isn't. But Eir came out to install one and said they couldn't. But then the builder says well there is no reason why they cannot as the duct is installed down there.
    I will get back on to Eir and see if they can expand on this.

Builder will run a duct but not a wire.

Usually they talk alot of ****e anyway. Speaking from experience, spend hours on the phone with builders and foremen trying to get details about ducts that were supposedly installed at houses. Wouldn't mind if it wasn't my father and two brothers that were the builders!

Call your original provider and get the wholesale order pulled to find the reason it was denied. You will want the Eir Onboarding team if it was them you started the order with.

Could be a problem with the cab being full, you can check yourself if you have a duct installed. Head outside and find the small white box (ETU) that is on your house. Like the ESB box but smaller. Pop it open. Should be a black pipe with a blue rope in it.

m99T wrote: »
    Builder will run a duct but not a wire.

Usually they talk alot of ****e anyway. Speaking from experience, spend hours on the phone with builders and foremen trying to get details about ducts that were supposedly installed at houses. Wouldn't mind if it wasn't my father and two brothers that were the builders!

Call your original provider and get the wholesale order pulled to find the reason it was denied. You will want the Eir Onboarding team if it was them you started the order with.

Could be a problem with the cab being full, you can check yourself if you have a duct installed. Head outside and find the small white box (ETU) that is on your house. Like the ESB box but smaller. Pop it open. Should be a black pipe with a blue rope in it.

Yes, I do agree that they talk a lot of sh1te. I deal with them all day long in work and how at home too, I am sick of it.
    I had a quick look and the duct is installed. Black pipe with blue rope is there.

I was on to Eir yesterday evening and they advised that there are no cables installed from the house back to the cabinet, they have scheduled them to be installed at the beginning of December but it could take until February to get it done and cannot do them before that. The cabinet is about 10 meters away from my house, I don't understand why they can't just come out and do it. There is about 30 houses now with people in them, all without internet. There is also 5 or so houses that people will start moving in to on Friday.
    I have spoken to about 20 people form different houses in the estate and they have all had Eir out to try get internet installed. Surely at this stage it would be cheaper for them to just get it done and stop sending people out to do nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I worked from home previously, and was able to tether my laptop to my iPhone and use that to work all day. Because I was on Flex Max I had unlimited monthly data. It all depends on the quality of the signal you have in the house. Borrow a phone with a Three account from a friend and run Speedtest while in your house to check.

This might tide you over till the new year.

3DataModem wrote: »
    I worked from home previously, and was able to tether my laptop to my iPhone and use that to work all day. Because I was on Flex Max I had unlimited monthly data. It all depends on the quality of the signal you have in the house. Borrow a phone with a Three account from a friend and run Speedtest while in your house to check.

This might tide you over till the new year.

I am with 3 myself and the coverage is rubbish. Its fine outside but not inside. I assume because its a new build house with tonnes of insulation etc..

The cabinet is directly across the road from our house.

Could be your answer right there. If they need a road opening license it can take time.

• Advertisement

Could be your answer right there. If they need a road opening license it can take time.

The cabinet is within the estate though and all ducts are installed already.

The cabinet is within the estate though and all ducts are installed already.

The cabinet must not be fully commissioned then. If it were just a matter of connecting homes I'm sure you'd be connected within a few days. Unfortunately their VDSL rollout seems to have stalled as they focus on the rural FTTH project.

The cabinet must not be fully commissioned then. If it were just a matter of connecting homes I'm sure you'd be connected within a few days. Unfortunately their VDSL rollout seems to have stalled as they focus on the rural FTTH project.

Maybe not, builder seems to think it is ready to go and there should be no issues. Eir might have another view on that though, they just haven't said it to me.
    Yeah I noticed they are focusing on FTTH everywhere now. I would be surprised if that's is not what they are doing to our place though as it is a new build estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

Yes, I do agree that they talk a lot of sh1te. I deal with them all day long in work and how at home too, I am sick of it.
    I had a quick look and the duct is installed. Black pipe with blue rope is there.

I was on to Eir yesterday evening and they advised that there are no cables installed from the house back to the cabinet, they have scheduled them to be installed at the beginning of December but it could take until February to get it done and cannot do them before that. The cabinet is about 10 meters away from my house, I don't understand why they can't just come out and do it. There is about 30 houses now with people in them, all without internet. There is also 5 or so houses that people will start moving in to on Friday.
    I have spoken to about 20 people form different houses in the estate and they have all had Eir out to try get internet installed. Surely at this stage it would be cheaper for them to just get it done and stop sending people out to do nothing.

Have you checked your cab details on http://irelandoffline.org/map/#!/map ?

Good thing about the rope though!!

I'd ring Eir every day and pester them with orders. I mean if you can be bothered that is. But the next time you seen an openEir van do ask them what the problem is in the estate.

m99T wrote: »
    Have you checked your cab details on http://irelandoffline.org/map/#!/map ?

Good thing about the rope though!!

I'd ring Eir every day and pester them with orders. I mean if you can be bothered that is. But the next time you seen an openEir van do ask them what the problem is in the estate.

Just did now. There is a local cabinet right outside the estate showing up as being live. The new one inside the estate doesn't show up but I don't think they normally would.
    I would annoy the hell out of Eir except I end up on hold for about 20 minutes every time I call them. I will ask if I do see an Eir van, but I am out of the house from 8am to 6am Monday to Friday, so I probably will never see one in there.

Just did now. There is a local cabinet right outside the estate showing up as being live. The new one inside the estate doesn't show up but I don't think they normally would.
    I would annoy the hell out of Eir except I end up on hold for about 20 minutes every time I call them. I will ask if I do see an Eir van, but I am out of the house from 8am to 6am Monday to Friday, so I probably will never see one in there.

If you want to PM me an Eircode of a house in the estate I can take a look and see if I can get any information for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I'm in a similar situation in Cork. 20 new houses, a fully functioning fibre cabinet, ducts, ropes, the lot all in place... and 4+ months of no broadband. Told up front by Eir that I could get FTTC broadband "today" (last May). Eir seem to be the ones who have to do the cabling, so no other supplier can do it either. Eir cancelled my original order because "all new connections must be FTTH", and "it" is scheduled for October 31st.

There's been countless engineers in and out to all the houses up and down the road. With the amount of time they've spent here, they'd have run all the cables months ago. It's driving everyone insane.

Thoie wrote: »
    I'm in a similar situation in Cork. 20 new houses, a fully functioning fibre cabinet, ducts, ropes, the lot all in place... and 4+ months of no broadband. Told up front by Eir that I could get FTTC broadband "today" (last May). Eir seem to be the ones who have to do the cabling, so no other supplier can do it either. Eir cancelled my original order because "all new connections must be FTTH", and "it" is scheduled for October 31st.

There's been countless engineers in and out to all the houses up and down the road. With the amount of time they've spent here, they'd have run all the cables months ago. It's driving everyone insane.

Exactly the same situation as us. Its mental.

If you want to PM me an Eircode of a house in the estate I can take a look and see if I can get any information for you.

Hi Navi, thank you.
    I am a bit weary about doing this now after mentioning above that I am out of the house most of the day :(
    Nothing directly against you, but you know yourself.

• Advertisement

Hi Navi, thank you.
    I am a bit weary about doing this now after mentioning above that I am out of the house most of the day :(
    Nothing directly against you, but you know yourself.

Completely understand. No offense taken.

Advertisement