Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet for new built house

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Uncommon post a picture of the cabinet itself, it may not be a VDSL cab at all and just a copper cross. You can crop out the background for anonymity.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

ED E wrote: »
    Uncommon post a picture of the cabinet itself, it may not be a VDSL cab at all and just a copper cross. You can crop out the background for anonymity.

Hi Ed E, I will grab one tonight when I eventually get home from work.
    Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

We use Wicklow Broadband. Unfortunately it's €50 a month for 7mb but they're consistent, I'll give them that.

Seanieke wrote: »
    We use Wicklow Broadband. Unfortunately it's €50 a month for 7mb but they're consistent, I'll give them that.

Yeah, a couple of people have told us to look at them. But its crazy expensive. We would go over the allowance easily and the speeds aren't very good, so I am not even bothering with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Exactly the same situation as us. Its mental.

Just need to vent. From day 1 (May-ish) they've been saying everything will be sorted by October 30th. They've steadfastly refused to give me an official complaint reference number despite asking for it multiple times, and now today they come back with "Also, unfortunately, we have no forecast date as to when this will be available". And still no fecking reference number!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

Comreg complaint? Not sure how far it will get you though but it would be something

BArra wrote: »
    Comreg complaint? Not sure how far it will get you though but it would be something

That's what I want the complaint reference number for - they've been fobbing me off since August. While they haven't outright "refused" to give me a number, they carefully keep delaying actually giving me one by asking for the same information over and over and over and over again.

Thoie wrote: »
    That's what I want the complaint reference number for - they've been fobbing me off since August. While they haven't outright "refused" to give me a number, they carefully keep delaying actually giving me one by asking for the same information over and over and over and over again.

That is what they always do, ask a question and then don't get back until you ring them a few days later and then ask more crap.
    Call them, tell them you are sick of being fobbed off and you want the complaint number, if they don't give it to you ask for a manager. If they still don't give it to you ask for a transcript of the call.
    I am sure by now Eir are used to getting complaints.

ED E, sorry it took me so long, I kept getting home when it was dark and forgot to take the picture in the morning.
    Below is the one inside of the estate.
    O6CPY0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

ED E, sorry it took me so long, I kept getting home when it was dark and forgot to take the picture in the morning.
    Below is the one inside of the estate.
    O6CPY0.jpg

I'm afraid that is not a telecoms cabinet. This is what you're looking for, the one on the left is the copper cab, the right is the fibre

463627.jpeg

• Advertisement

I'm afraid that is not a telecoms cabinet. This is what you're looking for

Bd4pMZ

Any idea what it is then? apart from a bloody eye sore.....
    Ok, not sure if there is one of them in the estate. There is outside of it but I have no image of it. It is on google maps but no cabinet code or anything is visible.

Ok, not sure if there is one of them in the estate. There is outside of it but I have no image of it. It is on google maps but no cabinet code or anything is visible.

Yeah ninja edited my post

Ok, I will try to grab a proper picture of the one outside the estate tomorrow. I will have a look for the one inside too.

Ok, I will try to grab a proper picture of the one outside the estate tomorrow. I will have a look for the one inside too.

http://irelandoffline.org/map/#!/map

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭ArrBee

I am with 3 myself and the coverage is rubbish. Its fine outside but not inside. I assume because its a new build house with tonnes of insulation etc..

There will be a difference in reception between your phone, a USB dongle, a LTE router, and a LTE router with external aerial.

If you have the chance to borrow a router and try it upstairs in your house (maybe near a window) you might be surprised.

That might be a viable interim solution to get you working from home at least...

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Cork981

That’s an ESB transformer, do not crack it open !!

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Cork981

Cork981 wrote: »

I had a feeling it might be as it is quite big. Haha I won't crack it open, don't worry :)

ArrBee wrote: »
    There will be a difference in reception between your phone, a USB dongle, a LTE router, and a LTE router with external aerial.

If you have the chance to borrow a router and try it upstairs in your house (maybe near a window) you might be surprised.

That might be a viable interim solution to get you working from home at least...

Oh, I though it would pick up the same coverage. Good to know. My parents have a three USB dongle. I will try gt it off them and test it out. Thank you :)

n8h6G7.png

This is what pops up in the area.
    Purple marker is the estate, green marker is he cabinet.

• Advertisement

Its less likely that Cab 18 will service you as its further out than the estate entrance. Not impossible but less likely. They'd have to pull main cables doubling back on themselves which may or may not have happened.

I'll have a poke, one sec.

Not sure if mentioned before but that is an FTTH estate. If you've been ordering "Up to 100Mb" services then thats the problem, the 150Mb+ products are for you.

Number 10 and Number 27 (random) pass prequal. Cabs aren't important for FTTH.

Not sure if mentioned before but that is an FTTH estate. If you've been ordering "Up to 100Mb" services then thats the problem, the 150Mb+ products are for you.

Number 10 and Number 27 (random) pass prequal. Cabs aren't important for FTTH.

ED E, thank you for looking at this for me. Much appreciated.
    When you say number 10 & 27 pass prequal what exactly do you mean?
    I am unsure now as to what I ordered but I might call them back up today and see what they say. Surely they should be telling me this information too.
    Great to hear its FTTH, much better for us with the internet demand in the house.

When you say number 10 & 27 pass prequal what exactly do you mean?

They're ready to order FTTH, or so the prequal file thinks. Its still possible that the prequal file is premature but the theory is its correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Oh, I though it would pick up the same coverage. Good to know. My parents have a three USB dongle. I will try gt it off them and test it out. Thank you :)

USB dongle may be worse depending on the phone you compare with.
    A router would be miles better.

Position/orientation is also important

I have a router upstairs and it works well.
    on a phone I need to be outside to get LTE.

They're ready to order FTTH, or so the prequal file thinks. Its still possible that the prequal file is premature but the theory is its correct.

OK interesting. If number 27 can get it then there should be no reason why we couldn't as we are close to them.
    However I know that the person in 27 works from home and has been giving out about not being able to get proper internet so maybe is premature.
    I will give Eir a call again and see what they say.
    Thanks for the help :)

After 2+ months I finally got my reference number (with extremely bad grace and typos), but it was like pulling fecking teeth.

Advertisement