Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to do with a talker that goes on an on and on

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

People that talk at you are a pain. They've told their longass story and you proceed to tell your story and their eyes glaze over waiting in anticipation till they can take over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Wow someone is having a bad day!!
    I would hope they aren't looking down at the ground while trying to talk to you. If you are talking to someone you look at them, therefore you would see the headphones.

maybe you're really ugly and they've no choice especially when you have that cold sore or spot on you're nose , lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

Oops69 wrote: »
    maybe you're really ugly and they've no choice especially when you have that cold sore or spot on you're nose , lol.

Maybe, but then I wouldn't be talking to someone unnecessarily and drawing attention to myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Send them to the politics cafe.

That'll soon take the wind out of their sails.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Send them to the politics cafe.

That'll soon take the wind out of their sails.

never heard of it

:p

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,652 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Oops69 wrote: »
    Just smile and walk off when you've had enough, these talking addicts always find some one else to assault and get their high so don't be afraid of offending them , they're oblivious , all they care about is the next ear.
    Pretty much what I do. Although if someone is trying to talk to a group of us I may just wander away, do some other stuff, and come back for the climax. The person doing the talking might not even notice my absence.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Beasty wrote: »
    Pretty much what I do. Although if someone is trying to talk to a group of us I may just wander away, do some other stuff, and come back for the climax. The person doing the talking might not even notice my absence.....

In my experience there never us a climax. It's a series of tangents and you are told 75% of the story before some detail has to be explained from a different angle to truly understand it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

In my experience there never us a climax. It's a series of tangents and you are told 75% of the story before some detail has to be explained from a different angle to truly understand it
    ny experience as well, it has to be an as yet un- named medical condition as it does seem to have a similar pattern of behaviour amongst 'sufferers'.... either that or its the same annoying nut job going around terrrorising the lot of us .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Yeah but no but yeah but

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Zero Point

Some time ago a guy asked me out. He wasn't particularly physically attractive but I thought sure why not, it's just a date and he might turn out to be good in the sack at some stage. During the date he just sat there practically poker faced the entire time and seemed to have very little conversational skills.

I like to have really engaging conversations and with most people there's a natural ebb and flow, and you try to find common ground. With this guy I would talk about a topic, trying to keep it interesting ask him his opinion, ask him questions about himself etc. He would give very short answers and I waited for him to reciprocate but nada. This same pattern was repeated throughout the date with me having to carry the conversation the whole time and him just staring at me like a big gormless child. Honestly it felt draining but if I hadn't put the effort in there would have been just long, awkward silences which is fine if you're in an established relationship but not exactly endearing on a first date.

We agreed to meet again as in some cases I will give someone a second chance just on the off-chance it was understandable first date nerves and he might have some magical personality transplant. But no! Exact same situation second time round. If anyone sitting near to us on both times had overheard us, it could have appeared that I was the one entirely dominating the conversation. He did hint about his wife having left him/cheated and made indirect references about him being boring. Didn't surprise me in the least.

I got a passive aggressive message from him later about not getting the ride. I very politely made sure that he knew to jog on.

Advertisement