Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things That Trivially Annoy You.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭SaltSweatSugar

I’m in a cuddly mood but the dog is having none of it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Only having one uniform (well two shirts and pants but they were both dirty, one waistcoat and apron) and trying to get them washed and dry for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Have alarm set for 6.30 to watch Thrones before work. I know for a fact I'll switch it off and sleep til normal time, then be annoyed with myself having to wait all day to watch it, and try avoid spoilers all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Washing machine broke and I fixed it

Broke again and I fixed again told my useless housemates to check their pockets. The filter/pump thingy was clogged with coins

Broke again and this time it was beyond my abilities as it was a control board failure. I contacted the landlady, kept everyone updated and it was replaced.

I was doing my washing Saturday morning and two housemates asking when I’ll be finished as they need to use it

“Thanks mike for sorting it” was what I was hoping for

If the house was burning down they would send me a WhatsApp to sort it :rolleyes:

Living with other people - in general. Huge TA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

The sky q remote.. it’s so poxy well sensitive.. pause tv, run out to kitchen for cup of tea, back in and vaguely touch the remote and bam.. channel change and ten minutes of paused tele gone .. drives me nuts. Constantly happening, have to leave the remote on the floor now in case you touch off it .... first world problems and all that but really ta’d

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

When people think that everybody who uses the tittle Dr in their name is a medical doctor.

I think you mean when people who aren't MDs call themselves doctors just because they spent a little bit of time doing some research.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,536 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Shemale wrote: »
    I think you mean when people who aren't MDs call themselves doctors just because they spent a little bit of time doing some research.

Well that to but I meant what I originally said.
    No matter how many times you tell people that not everybody with the title is a medical Dr they don't listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Bitches Be Trypsin

Shemale wrote: »

They earned the title "doctor". Perhaps you should respect that a 5 year medical degree isn't the only way to be a doctor, a 4 year PhD takes a lot more work!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,419 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

TA'd that i think i am adult enough to wear white tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭farmerwifelet

Google!! Keeps emailing me to set up parental supervision for the children's email accounts. I have the passwords the kids never use email. I set them up so they can get games on Google play. Have them set up so they can't open the games without me putting in password. So setting up the parental supervision but I can only have one Google mail account on my device to do this so I would have to remove the other 3 accounts I need access to. Why the fook is it so fooking complicated!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,375 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

If I was smart enough to have a PhD I would include Dr on every document I produced. When you work hard for something you deserve the recognition.

TA that in Ireland it is frowned upon to be proud of your achievements and everything has to be downplayed yet we must celebrate certain professions for no particular reason ie nurses, gardai et al.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,986 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

They earned the title "doctor". Perhaps you should respect that a 5 year medical degree isn't the only way to be a doctor, a 4 year PhD takes a lot more work!

Bolloccs!!

Lots and lots of people go to college but don't feel the need to use a "title".
    Lots of people work for years and years to gain experience and qualifications but don't feel the need to use a "title".
    It's pure and simple snobbery and arrogance. Look at how brilliant I am - I spent ages in college - I'm so smart. I'm so brilliant, I'm no longer John Smith. I'm Doctor Smith and that's what everyone must call me from now on so I can feel superior. Fcuk right off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,453 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

When people think that everybody who uses the tittle Dr in their name is a medical doctor.

I was in a waiting room in the Mater and someone at the receptionist window got asked 'Doctor?' and he proceeded to tell them about his Ph. D. The title needs to be different so everyone can tell the difference between a medical doctor and someone who want to be referred to by a title.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Bolloccs!!

Lots and lots of people go to college but don't feel the need to use a "title".
    Lots of people work for years and years to gain experience and qualifications but don't feel the need to use a "title".
    It's pure and simple snobbery and arrogance. Look at how brilliant I am - I spent ages in college - I'm so smart. I'm so brilliant, I'm no longer John Smith. I'm Doctor Smith and that's what everyone must call me from now on so I can feel superior. Fcuk right off!!

You've very triggered by this!

People who are in your face about it, fair enough, but those who take the title and make no deal about it, I think it's reasonable to have such a title to recognise the hard work and many years you put in to achieve a doctorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

There was no almond in the last Raffaello :(

JCX BXC wrote: »
    You've very triggered by this!

People who are in your face about it, fair enough, but those who take the title and make no deal about it, I think it's reasonable to have such a title to recognise the hard work and many years you put in to achieve a doctorate.

I have quite a few friends with doctorates, none of them studied medicine and none of them use the title outside of work. None of my lecturers insisted on it either. Titles don't make sense in this day and age, particularly with doctorates being pretty common compared to my parents' generation.
    I have a cousin who did try and let everyone know she had a Ph. D. and she came across as a snob.
    I think anyone with medical expertise, from a doctor to someone with a first responder course should haved that somewhere in their name one work IDs, plane tickets etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Man city scoring, poxy ass clowns !

Hahahahah. Definitely NOT a TA.

A goal of great beauty, too ;)

Yourself and Ted_YNWA can get together and have a sob-fest :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

kowloon wrote: »

Titles don't make sense in this day and age, particularly with doctorates being pretty common compared to my parents' generation.

Good call.

Ideally we should call everyone "comrade" as everyone is equal before God!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Wearing lipgloss on a windy day. Rookie mistake, I should have known better.

Squatter wrote: »
    Good call.

Or how about using people's names?

Crazy idea, I know but......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭von Smallhausen

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Have alarm set for 6.30 to watch Thrones before work. I know for a fact I'll switch it off and sleep til normal time, then be annoyed with myself having to wait all day to watch it, and try avoid spoilers all day.

Yep trying to avoid idiots who flap their gums at every episode ever, is a major TA for me...seriously f**k off and let me enjoy it!!
    Social Media is on mute for the day

Good call.

I just use their name, it's worked for me so far. I don't think hereditary titles have any place either.

An interesting point in Soviet history is that they restored pre-revolution ranks and military titles over time. So someone commanding a company would just be referred to as a company commander rather than a Captain. By 1943 they were back to traditional ranks. They had gold braid for shoulder boards shipped to them as part of lend-lease, it was considered that important.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

HOW can you watch such an important episode of GOT while playing silly games on the phone? Will you put the phone away, only half watching it.

I just use their name, it's worked for me so far. I don't think hereditary titles have any place either.

Absolutely.
    I can never understand Irish people using British titles to refer to "titled" people.

It seems that everyone in Birr refers to the owner of the Castle as "Lord Ross".
    WTF is that about ? We don't use hereditary titles in Ireland!

I even struggle with Mr. and Mrs.
    What is wrong with using people's names?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Hahahahah. Definitely NOT a TA.

A goal of great beauty, too ;)

Ehhh wasn't that great in fairness :rolleyes::pac:

Ta'd I have to go to the dentist tomorrow :'(.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭Bredabe

I can never figure out how to spell denier(which sound like tights) or is it deniar(which doesn't look right) but I know denyier isn't right.
    Its being used a lot in work doc's atm.

The person who had the computer ahead of me has saved a lot of words in the wrong context, and if I trying to look it up on the on-line dictionary or phone, I get the 'more words you cant spell breda, and you working for x qualifications about in the university' look or more ta, comment.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Bought wheaten bread to have with bananas for lunch this week. Date on the bread is 30th April, bananas are all greener than a lime. Ragin.

Good call.

I want to be clear on this, I am in no way saying getting a Ph. D. is something easy, and in whatever area you're qualified in you are going to be an expert compared to someone with a lower level of education.
    I just don't think someone's qualifications are relevant outside of their area of expertise. I think medical qualifications are the exception to this as knowing someone can help in an emergemcy is always relevant. I'm not trying to say someone with a medical qualification is superior or has achieved more than someone who has a Ph. D. in CS or whatever.
    If that makes me a filthy communist in your eyes so be it.

Or how about using people's names?

Crazy idea, I know but......

It is a bit crazy in situations where we don't know the other person's name!

Hence my inspired suggestion that we call everyone 'comrade'!

What do you reckon, comrade?

• Advertisement

If that makes me a filthy communist in your eyes so be it.

I'm shocked to learn that you appear to regard all communists as filthy!

Paul Murphy's partner assures me that he washes at least once every month - twice if there's a 'q' in the month.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement