Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you allow a homeless family live in a mobile home/caravan on your property?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Another charming poster girl.

"Because I'm taxed I can't afford a home".

So the "free everything now" crowd are angling for no taxes on the rare as hen's teeth occasions they work ????

Perfect.

The girl is down on her luck and yet you still find no empathy and simply sneer at her problems ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    The girl is down on her luck and yet you still find no empathy and simply sneer at her problems ?

Yes.

"Down on her luck" - how do you know ?

We don't know the full story and with other similar tales of woe recently, no one asks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Well, I hate to break it to you, Larry, but if Mr. Burns ever wants to see a stranger, he will observe him through a powerful telescope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Yes.

We don't know the full story and with other similar tales of woe recently, no one asks.

She served her country for eight years, guarding money transfers between banks, helping out in national emergencies and training army cadets.

I think I would prefer to give her a chance rather then sneer and look down on her .But thats me .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As I have said before, there is ALWAYS more to these sob stories than they want to reveal.

Their caravan has no running water or electricity and there are two adults and four children living in it. Yet they claim that's better than emergency accommodation with an ADHD child.

Bullsh1t. There's something else. Such as:
    John told Neil Prendeville on Cork's Red FM that the family originally moved into a caravan next to his parents' house after the home they were renting was no longer available.
    When that move became no longer viable they made the decision to move the caravan to the picnic park on the Cork Road in Fermoy.

Whoah, whoah, what? So they were living on his parents land and that "became no longer viable"? What does that mean?

My family is currently living IN my wife's parents' house and while it's temporary and a bit of a struggle, I know for a fact that if we were in need, we could stay for the next decade if we had to.
    What could possibly have changed in their circumstances that a caravan in the garden is "no longer viable"?

I'm going to guess here that the child being difficult, is not the problem. The parents being difficult, is likely the problem. It's why they couldn't stay at his parents, and why emergency accommodation is "not suitable".

I have sympathy for the ex-soldier above, but the mirror seems intent on just writing a "Grr Leo" article rather than any real news. It's all appeal to emotion. A single person will be very far down the list, it's wrong but we know this is the case and it's been like that for decades. However, there's no information on why she's living in her car and not looking for emergency accommodation. And her work situation seems...odd. She's not disabled because she can work, but only works sporadically. We're nearly at full employment, she's not married or pregnant. So what's her barrier to working full-time?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I'd help out family or close friends in a desperate situation, but never ever a stranger. You'd have no idea what you'd be letting yourself in for.

There is a system in place for people who fall on hard times. Stories like these in newspapers always, always, always have more to them than what you read in quotes. People fall through the cracks and while I have sympathy for anyone having to sleep rough, some situations are just unfixable, no matter how many protests you have about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Yes.

She’s actually willing to work, seems like a decent sort.
    Another thing I would like to bring to your attention is that a year ago when I was down in the Council, one of the Council workers told me, your best bet is to go get yourself pregnant and you should get a house that way.

“That’s not how they should be doing their job.

“He tried to say, I’m not being rude, but to even say something like that with the situation the country is in, bring another life on to the Earth and let that suffer too.

“That’s what he said to me, that was heartbreaking .”

A scrounger would have just got herself pregnant, like Ms.Cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Depends on the family but most likely not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    She served her country for eight years, guarding money transfers between banks, helping out in national emergencies and training army cadets.

I think I would prefer to give her a chance rather then sneer and look down on her .But thats me .

Was she not paid while doing all that ??
    Where is her family In all this ??

I’m sure if you want to take her into your home and give her a chance the newspaper will pass on your details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Not in a million years.
    I work hard and saved hard for my property and I'm doing the same again now with an 18 month plan to upgrade to a bigger house.
    And after that will be the same 18 month plan again to get back into the domestic rental market.

If I can work hard 60+ hour weeks at times with nothing to show for it except savings and mortgage approvals why should I subsidise someone else to get what I get but they get it on my dime?? No.

I'm often in the office before 6am even on Sundays and I don't leave until 6 or later most days. And I still can't afford (yet) to live where I want. I hate, despise, abhor, (insert other synonyms here) this notion that if you don't pay your way, oh well "de stahte" should give it to you for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

seamus wrote: »
    Whoah, whoah, what? So they were living on his parents land and that "became no longer viable"? What does that mean?

I'm going to guess here that the child being difficult, is not the problem. The parents being difficult, is likely the problem. It's why they couldn't stay at his parents, and why emergency accomodation is "not suitable".

While I suspect you may well be right it's also entirely possible that they were told to move the mobile home from where it was because of complaints, planning enforcement or whatever.

What got me about this is the whole 'there aren't any halting sites in Fermoy' bit.

So?

Move to the nearest one?

Why a picnic area on a public road?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

There must be thousands of vacant houses in Cork. Use one of them.

There are plenty of vacant houses in every county. But they know if they hang on long enough they will get one in Dublin. That's the problem.
    They should split them all up and send them all over the country, if they want a free house they shouldn't have a choice where it is as long as it has a school and a shop what else do they need.

So if someone has a criminal record from 25 years ago **** em. But a person homeless 2 days can get a spot. A bit judgemental no

Ok, it would depend on the crime committed at the time. 25 years is a long time.

I would only be acting in the best interests of my own family, if the people who were to be staying on my property had to be garda vetted.

Otherwise I think I would be acting irresponsibly.

• Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Is a huge part of the problem. When landlords can't up the rent, they simply give the tenants notice they are going to sell. Tenant moves out, landlord hikes up the rent and puts it back on the market. Or they use the property for Air BnB.

the swing to air b n b is more reflective of the disaster trying to evict a delinquent tenant has become , than anything to do with earning more money , i own a small modest terraced house in one of the regional cities , i have it leased to the council for ten years so the rent is 20% below market but im perfectly happy with the arrangement and i have no responsibilities bar insurance , property tax and structural issues . we do air b n b in our home during the summer months as we are not far from an area which has high demand in summer so we charge a bit less . there is a lot of work with air b n b compared to letting a house on a daily basis.

those who condemn air b n b dont want to address what drove people into it in the first place , a complete bias in favour of tenants when it comes to the law right now . obviously if you own a place in dublin city , air b n b is a great money spinner but thats not near the whole story .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Another charming poster girl.

"Because I'm taxed I can't afford a home".

So the "free everything now" crowd are angling for no taxes on the rare as hen's teeth occasions they work ????

Perfect.

Well at least she's no Margaret Cash

“Another thing I would like to bring to your attention is that a year ago when I was down in the Council, one of the Council workers told me, your best bet is to go get yourself pregnant and you should get a house that way.

“That’s not how they should be doing their job.

“He tried to say, I’m not being rude, but to even say something like that with the situation the country is in, bring another life on to the Earth and let that suffer too.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/politics/former-irish-soldier-homeless-living-13362599

Bit sad that somebody working in the council actually gave that advice and the advice is regularly used by many to get homes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

seamus wrote: »
    As I have said before, there is ALWAYS more to these sob stories than they want to reveal.

Their caravan has no running water or electricity and there are two adults and four children living in it. Yet they claim that's better than emergency accommodation with an ADHD child.

Bullsh1t. There's something else. Such as:

My family is currently living IN my wife's parents' house and while it's temporary and a bit of a struggle, I know for a fact that if we were in need, we could stay for the next decade if we had to.
    What could possibly have changed in their circumstances that a caravan in the garden is "no longer viable"?

I'm going to guess here that the child being difficult, is not the problem. The parents being difficult, is likely the problem. It's why they couldn't stay at his parents, and why emergency accommodation is "not suitable".

He was on the radio

Apparently the wife and his mother weren't getting along due to the kids

That also caused fights with him and the father

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Sorry but no. I pay my mortgage, taxes and every other tax going, its not my job to provide living space or parking to anyone else.

Advertisement