Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSN Name Change Gamechanger

Options
  • 05-10-2018 5:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭

Just interested to know how many people are going to change their PSN, should we be given the power as rumoured. Came quite late to gaming myself so my PSN isn't something truly mortifying. Couldn't change mine now, I'd miss it . . . . . . . we've been through a lot together.

Go you want to chanhe your psn? 17 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 17 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I created an entire new account back in 2012 cos I didn't like my first PSN name.
    I don't think there are many digital games attached to it so no loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I made the mistake of putting my year of birth into my PSN name, I want to get rid of that so yeah, I want to change my name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Yeah i want to change it,just to capatilise two letters and thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

EoinHef wrote: »
    Yeah i want to change it,just to capatilise two letters and thats it.

This I could relate to, I often wonder why I didn't go with a capital G. Still it could have been worse. It's probably not really a change in name though.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

I really want to change mine..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

I'd assume they'll charge you for it... Maybe the first time will be free.

Xbox assign you a random GT when you first sign up and it's free to change it the first time.
    After that its 10e, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I forgot my original PSN account and email address to it so had to setup a new one, I dont think I'd change it at this stage in my life, maybe I'd remove the cap locks though, no idea what I was doing putting it all in caps. :o

gimli2112 wrote: »
    This I could relate to, I often wonder why I didn't go with a capital G. Still it could have been worse. It's probably not really a change in name though.

I feel very inferior to everyone who has capitals:(

:P

Kenjataimu wrote: »
    I'd assume they'll charge you for it... Maybe the first time will be free.

Xbox assign you a random GT when you first sign up and it's free to change it the first time.
    After that its 10e, I think.

Yeah 10 euro on Xbox last I checked. I think it's a reasonable system. 1st change is free then a charge to stop people taking the piss. Also free if they force to you change it due to it being in appropriate etc. I think.

Yeah 10 euro on Xbox last I checked. I think it's a reasonable system. 1st change is free then a charge to stop people taking the piss. Also free if they force to you change it due to it being in appropriate etc. I think.

Id agree,one change for free should be enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Is there not a limit before a ban for inappropriate names.

If they offered 1 free name change they'd need to do it in phases, it'd be too many at once otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

But why is it such a big deal ? I don't get it myself I won't be changing mine anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

But why is it such a big deal ? I don't get it myself I won't be changing mine anyway

Big deal for users or big deal for Sony

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Sorry I came across awkwardly what i meant is why is it such a big thing, surely something as simple as changing your name should be exactly that , Simple , maybe have an account number that ties to your account and be able to name yourself anything , seems the easiest thing

• Registered Users Posts: 13,976 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yeah, see Sony decided to link your account to your PSN name, rather than a number, so changing the name is not easy the way it is, as they have to remove the link from your PSN name and assign it to your new one, but by removing it you are deleting your account technically. So they have been working on changing it from linking to the name to linking to an account number or something, I think. It should have been simple, but I'd say they didn't realise until it was too late and just went with it until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I was born XxXNinjaXxXWeed420 and I'll die XxXNinjaXxXWeed420 .

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

I bet you wish you could change the typos in your poll :P

I won't change mine, have had it since I started online gaming with Socom on the PS2. I can see why some people would want to change their's though. One of my pet hates is usernames with random capitalised LeTteRs.

you have no idea how much that typo bugs me, I also didn't mean to make the poll private.

Man you just made me realise there's more than one. It's like a monkey hammering away on a keyboard typed it up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

Never had any issues with my name, picked it way back when in whatever year I actually got a PS3 and haven't had any issues. Most people know it and know who I am when I go online, and I've never been reported or kicked for it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,614 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's official
    https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2018/10/10/psn-online-id-change-feature-enters-playstation-preview-program-soon/#sf199722151

First change for free, €10 (€5 for PS+ users) after that. Testing with some users in November, full rollout early next year. Not guaranteed to work with all games, particularly older than April 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,815 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm gonna change mine just because my current psn has my real name in it and the Yakuza series has some dodgy trophies I would rather not have associated with my real name...

I just know whatever I look for will already be taken though. I wonder if you change it during the trial (unlimited free goes), does the old name go back into the pool or stay locked out?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,614 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I'm gonna change mine just because my current psn has my real name in it and the Yakuza series has some dodgy trophies I would rather not have associated with my real name...

I just know whatever I look for will already be taken though. I wonder if you change it during the trial (unlimited free goes), does the old name go back into the pool or stay locked out?

I imagine it'll have to stay locked out since not all old games will be supporting it, at least not at first. So your old username will still be the one that shows up in older games until they're patched, I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Zero-Cool wrote: »

'I did it for the trophy'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

I'm ok with my username but I'd be happy if they let me change my country. I set up the PSN when I was in the UK on the PS3. It still thinks I'm in the UK so in certain games I get a little union jack beside my name. Bugs me a lot.

Also, all the prices on the PS store are in sterling which can be good depending on the exchange rate. Contacted Sony about it and they said you can't change country. It might be something they bring in, in the future hopefully.

that would annoy me a lot more than my psn name, although a lot of people I played with back in the day thought Ireland was part of the UK

Advertisement