Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deer Park Hotel and Howth Castle Sold

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I bet the castle isn’t being sold. They talk about partnership later on in the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

The golf course course , hotel and gardens have been under developed for a long time. The location is stunning with huge potential. Its proximity to the city and airport is another major plus.

Overall this is great news.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

The golf club and hotel is way over due a rethink. I'm surprised it lasted so long. It's friendly but dreary.
    I always knew it was private and took it that the access to the gardens and hill walk was either generosity or is there a historical public right of way through it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

A bit of both probably. The Gaisford-St Lawrences have been very good for Howth keeping the place open and ring fencing lands with lots of benefit to the community. The problem is that while they have and still are great custodians, managment of the commercial aspects wasn't up to scratch with too much patching up. The hotel has been shut for years with poor plumbing and the ancillary facilities have been closing steadily in recent times. I would imagine the hotel will be razed and rebuilt, a championship course developed and the castle getting some much needed love and attention. I do hope they keep the grounds as open to the public as they are presently.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I wonder how will this affect the Transport Museum? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Deviso wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/tetrarch-buys-470-acres-in-howth-including-its-castle-and-former-hotel-1.3651989?mode=amp

I can understand the golf course and hotel being sold. But why sell the castle. Its been in the family for 840 years.

The current custodian has no kids. The castle is huge and falling to pieces, he has no money for upkeep. The place will take 10s of millions to convert, can’t wait to see the results though.
    There has to be a right of way through the grounds, I know the head groundskeeper would love to ban me and my dogs but he’s powerless to do anything.
    I wonder how much it went for. 6 acres across the road went for €30m.....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I'm fairly sure there are kids - look at this article from a couple of years ago.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure there are kids - look at this article from a couple of years ago.

Ok. I’d heard different. They’re set up for life so, good luck to them.

Advertisement