Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Mandalorian

• 05-10-2018 10:30am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Was a bit passive on this but the line up looks super, I mean real super....

the-mandalorian-1024x809.jpg

Production on the first Star Wars live-action streaming series has begun! After the stories of Jango and Boba Fett, another warrior emerges in the Star Wars universe. The Mandalorian is set after the fall of the Empire and before the emergence of the First Order. We follow the travails of a lone gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy far from the authority of the New Republic. The series will be written and executive produced by Emmy-nominated producer and actor Jon Favreau, as previously announced, with Dave Filoni (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels) directing the first episode. Additional episodic directors include Deborah Chow (Jessica Jones), Rick Famuyiwa (Dope), Bryce Dallas Howard (Solemates), and Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok). It will be executive produced by Jon Favreau, Dave Filoni, Kathleen Kennedy, and Colin Wilson. Karen Gilchrist will serve as co-executive producer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭The Moleman

They've officially announced the cast - https://www.starwars.com/news/pedro-pascal-revealed-as-the-mandalorian

A great cast but Werner Herzog is the last name I'd expect. Looking forward to see what kind of character he is playing.

I hope they aren't all playing humans. I want at least two aliens in the main cast - a mo-cap and a mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I didn't realize that Giancarlo Esposito was in this - love him in BB and BCS

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Score is going to be written by Ludwig Goransson, he did Black Panther and Creed 2 soundtracks amongst others

This is a great song from Creed 2

• Registered Users Posts: 15,524 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I heard this was set between ''Revenge of the Sith'' and ''A New Hope''

Also there is a much bigger thread on this in the Television forum.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057916817

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

So no Trailer today. They just showed a sizzle reel at the Star Wars celebration event and haven't shared it online. There are some leaks floating about.

They put out a poster and 4 character images. I scaled their size down for the thread:

Title:
    477807.jpg

2 of The Mandalorian (Pedro Pascal inside there :)). 01:
    477808.jpg
    02:
    477809.jpg

Gina Carano as Kara Dune:
    477810.jpg

Carl Weathers as Greef Karga:
    477811.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Looks great.

Werner Herzog in a Star Wars thing...I'm still WTF'ing about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Carl Weathers! Baby you got a stew going!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Roar wrote: »
    Carl Weathers! Baby you got a stew going!

Its time for "Action" but at 70?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Tony EH wrote: »
    Looks great.

Werner Herzog in a Star Wars thing...I'm still WTF'ing about that.

Feels a bit like Firefly crossed with Star Wars

Slydice wrote: »
    Feels a bit like Firefly crossed with Star Wars

Ya know...maybe. Getting a good feeling from that YouTube snip though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Trailer coming after 1130 tonight.

d23-the-mandalorian-poster.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,953 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

AMKC wrote: »
    I heard this was set between ''Revenge of the Sith'' and ''A New Hope''

That latest article says 'a few years after Return of the Jedi'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

NIMAN wrote: »
    That latest article says 'a few years after Return of the Jedi'.

Not just the latest - it has been known to be post-RotJ for a long time.

I’m pretty sure Jon Faverau said seven years.

Poster is nice but spoilt for me by this nonsense over Spider-Man leaving the MCU.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭LazySamaritan

The trailer (and the show) don’t seem to be getting much interest here.

I usually don’t watch trailers or clips but with no idea when this show will get to Ireland I had to check it out.

It looks fantastic. I know it has a huge budget but I wasn’t expecting that.

The stunt with the door ha me a bit concerned that it might not be appropriate for my nephew but I also realise that I’m jumping the gun and it might be no different to other stuff in the movies.

Is this video what was shown at Star Wars Celebration?

Is the D23 Special Look for Episode IX a trailer or a behind the scenes reel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

I think it’s hard to get excited about anything Disney Star Wars .
    Rogue one was decent outing but everything else is kids poor to be honest.
    I would be optimistic about this as they seem to have good people behind them

Handy timeline for anyone a bit confused

• Registered Users Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Bowlardo wrote: »

I actually quite liked Rogue One. Thought it could have lightened up a bit and it certainly wasn't the best Star Wars movie but I don't get the hate.... But anyway, different thread.

I know you are not suggesting this but I don't think they should go all hardcore and violent and "gritty" to look for a Game of Thrones audience. Rogue One and Solo were reasonably "grown up" while still being family friendly. What I mean is there were no Prequel-style droids and slapstick (And thankfully no prequel-style racist caricatures (Again, another thread).

But I believe they will let the show-runners do their thing. As you said, they have some VERY good people involved so hopefully they will let them run with it.

They do seem to be doing this as opposed to the upcoming Apple streaming service (Yeah, another) which seems to be VERY hands-on and controlling - cancelling their proposed Dr Dre series as being too dark..... It's about Dr Dre!

I am hopeful for this show and Disney+ in general. Do I wish they didn't start up their own service and still created these shows on Netflix? Of course. But since that's not happening I hope they do it right......

Time will tell. Trailer looked good though without showing much.

I actually quite liked Rogue One. Thought it could have lightened up a bit and it certainly wasn't the best Star Wars movie but I don't get the hate.... But anyway, different thread.

I know you are not suggesting this but I don't think they should go all hardcore and violent and "gritty" to look for a Game of Thrones audience. Rogue One and Solo were reasonably "grown up" while still being family friendly. What I mean is there were no Prequel-style droids and slapstick (And thankfully no prequel-style racist caricatures (Again, another thread).

But I believe they will let the show-runners do their thing. As you said, they have some VERY good people involved so hopefully they will let them run with it.

They do seem to be doing this as opposed to the upcoming Apple streaming service (Yeah, another) which seems to be VERY hands-on and controlling - cancelling their proposed Dr Dre series as being too dark..... It's about Dr Dre!

I am hopeful for this show and Disney+ in general. Do I wish they didn't start up their own service and still created these shows on Netflix? Of course. But since that's not happening I hope they do it right......

Time will tell. Trailer looked good though without showing much.

They said at the Disney conference this weekend that there will be no adult 18+ programming on Disney +. But in the mando trailer above you see him pulling a guy in to get sliced in half by that door. Star Wars gets away with fantasy violence in a good way. It didn’t have to go to GOT blood n guts. It can be dark n gritty without that. Least I hope not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,953 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I initially was disappointed when TFA came out, but over time I accepted that Disney aren't making the new films for me, or other people in their 40s/50s who were the fans of the 1st trilogy.

When I seen my young son super excited about the new star wars films, I realised he was their target market. And I was ok with that, as I was his age when I first seen it.

Edit: that trailer looks very good

I initially was disappointed when TFA came out, but over time I accepted that Disney aren't making the new films for me, or other people in their 40s/50s who were the fans of the 1st trilogy.

When I seen my young son super excited about the new star wars films, I realised he was their target market. And I was ok with that, as I was his age when I first seen it.

Haven't seen the trailer yet, but...the thing is that Disney's attempt to market to other demographics hasn't worked out in their favour as much as they had hoped. The general consensus I see is that most kids just aren't that enamoured with Star Wars today, as the kids of 40 years ago were. They're much more into the Marvel stuff than they are Star Wars and it very much depends on the adult pushers, as to whether their kids get hooked on Star Wars or not. It was very much the opposite case in 1977-83.

This is why Disney have continuously gone back to the well of the OT to keep trying to generate the revenue they expected. Because if they completely alienate the older crew, Star Wars really will be a busted flush.

Look at how things have gone. Right now, Star Wars' potential media, bar Ep.IX, is all OT era based and even their ST era has had to bring back familiar OT characters to salve a very real problem they have with lacklustre characters.

Sure, 'The Force Awakens' made a lot of money. In fact, it over performed to the tune of nearly three quarters of a billion I'd say and subsequent films have all been well into the black. However, the essential trend is downwards on the graph in terms of revenue accrued. That kind of thing is never lost on the bean counters and Disney being simply a marketing enterprise these days, where the artistic elements take a back seat, the bean counters are king.

Star Wars is in a very strange place at the moment. The ST films haven't made the cultural splash that Disney had hoped. Merchandise sales are down across the board and, visually, what is essentially a movie enterprise has had to retreat to TV land while they do a post mortem on the failures of their cinema outings.

If someone had told you before 2015 that that was the future of Star Wars in Disney's hands, most people would have though you were mad.

What is “kids poor”?

They said at the Disney conference this weekend that there will be no adult 18+ programming on Disney +. But in the mando trailer above you see him pulling a guy in to get sliced in half by that door. Star Wars gets away with fantasy violence in a good way. It didn’t have to go to GOT blood n guts. It can be dark n gritty without that. Least I hope not

I commented on that door stunt earlier too. I know they are not going to show the guy getting cut in half - at least not in any gory way - but something about it seems more savage than when it happens to Maul as the lightsabre makes it seem more elegant.;)
    M

My kids and my nephew are not really interested the Sequels. They love Rey and BB-8 but killing Luke & Han put them off the story and TFA is just a remake to to them. The First Order is boring.

They love Solo, Rogue One and everything else though.

My own opinion is that TFA is just a movie adaptation of the old Expanded Universe - and not even the good parts. Having heard him talk at Celebration and seen the trailer for Mandolorian, I wish Jon Faverau had been hired for Episode VII. I cannot understand how JJ Abrams picked stormtroopers when he could have made the ST to be a conflict between the Republic and the Mandos.

My kids and my nephew are not really interested the Sequels. They love Rey and BB-8 but killing Luke & Han put them off the story and TFA is just a remake to to them. The First Order is boring.

They love Solo, Rogue One and everything else though.

My own opinion is that TFA is just a movie adaptation of the old Expanded Universe - and not even the good parts. Having heard him talk at Celebration and seen the trailer for Mandolorian, I wish Jon Faverau had been hired for Episode VII. I cannot understand how JJ Abrams picked stormtroopers when he could have made the ST to be a conflict between the Republic and the Mandos.

You should get them into clone wars and rebels. They’re canon and add loads to the story. Some great stuff in there and clone wars adds tons to the prequels. Hard as that may be to believe.
    It’s essentially the adventures of obi wan and Anakin but there’s loads of other stuff in there too that you’d enjoy but kids love. It’s not ‘kiddish’ at all either it’s just Star Wars deliverers in an animated format. Haven’t seen the resistance series which is definitely for kids but it looks Beautiful

Cast of the Mandalorian speak

You should get them into clone wars and rebels. They’re canon and add loads to the story. Some great stuff in there and clone wars adds tons to the prequels. Hard as that may be to believe.
    It’s essentially the adventures of obi wan and Anakin but there’s loads of other stuff in there too that you’d enjoy but kids love. It’s not ‘kiddish’ at all either it’s just Star Wars deliverers in an animated format. Haven’t seen the resistance series which is definitely for kids but it looks Beautiful

I’m no casual viewer - Star Wars is in the blood. TCW and Rebels get rewatched more than the movies. :)

Resistance does indeed look beautiful and I liked the light hearted nature of it but there is simply too much First Order and it drags it down. We are hoping the second season put the Colossus far from the Resistence and First Order.

The reason I’m here tonight is that I saw a headline announcing that The Mandolorian explores the origins of the First Order and I though “ahhh **** it anyway” but fortunately that isn’t exactly what Filoni and Favearu told Entertainment Weekly. They will be showing a lawless, dangerous period that the Republic can’t get on top of so it will allow something to rise - but it isn’t about the First Order.

The Mandolorian explores the origins of the First Order

Ugh.
    but it isn’t about the First Order.

More than likely, it'll be a passing mention. Hopefully anyway. But I can do without that stinking up the show too.

• Advertisement

Tony EH wrote: »
    Ugh.

More than likely, it'll be a passing mention. Hopefully anyway. But I can do without that stinking up the show too.

Hopefully it isn’t even going to be as much as a passing mention.

Filoni makes it sound like the world building they’ll be doing will show the galaxy in tatters and as an audience we’ll understand how a new faction could rise.

I never wanted Lucas to step away but Abrams was the first name I thought of when the announced the Sequels and I thought everything was going to be great.

Now I wish it had been anybody BUT Abrams and I wonder how many people at Lucasfilm are of the opinion that the First Order is complete pants?

Advertisement