Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Broadband nightmare, help/advice wanted urgently.

• 05-10-2018 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone,

First time poster, long time fan of boards. I made an account today as my back is against the wall and really need some advice.

Me and my wife moved house about 2 months ago so naturally enough I informed eir that we were moving and that I wanted the landline and broadband at my previous address moved to where we were moving. I was told that how it works is that the previous account is cancelled and that a new one is created with a new landline and broadband at the new address.

This was all good and well and an engineer came out to install the new landline and broadband at the new premises. The ongoing nightmare began when the broadband didn’t work.

After trying several times to get in touch (very difficult with the waiting times) I eventually got through to someone who told me they would not discuss my account with me without an account number, landline number, etc. I logged onto myeir to find this information and began the whole lot over again only to eventually get through to someone who told me all this was relating to the previous account that I had placed the cancellation on and without an account number and landline etc. for the current broadband/landline he could not discuss these issues with me. I logged onto myeir and could not find anything. I trolled through my emails and there was nothing. Nothing had arrived in the post. (I since discovered they had emailed my disused email address, an email they had been told I no longer use and haven’t been sending my bills to in well over 12 months).

After taking time off work to go to my local eir store and after a heated row and heightened temper the man in the shop eventually gave me my new account number. After beginning the process of calling all over again, waiting, I eventually got through to someone in tech support and we went through the checks and he told me he would send out an engineer. The engineer went to my previous address where I no longer live and when they couldn’t gain access they didn’t even call. My wife had taken the morning off work to be at home. After beginning the process of calling all over again, waiting, I eventually got through to someone in tech support last Friday night and we went through the checks and he told me I needed a new modem. I had one delivered during the week and low and behold, still no internet access.

I have tried calling again multiple times and cannot get through over the waiting times and when I do no one will speak to me because I do not have a landline number for my current account. I also notice that when I log onto myeir and look at mobile usage these calls are extra cost as they are not part of my bundle. Calls to customer support are not part of my bundle. I could spend 40 mins and get through to no one or be fobbed off because I don’t have a landline number that was never sent to me and I could be charged a cost of €7.

I don’t know what more I can do. I can’t afford to keep taking time off. This has cost both me and my wife money in that I depend on my internet connection for business and she has taken time off work. Additionally, I’m being charged now for calling customer service. I’m genuinely thinking of calling my solicitor.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I was going to say this is absolutely shocking but its an every day occurrence with eir, i feel for you as ive been through similar.
    The reps here will just tell you to ring customer care, not what you wanted to hear im afraid.

Only thing that comes to mind is when i rang customer care recently my account number was sufficient to get to talk to someone as i dont have a landline anymore.
    I really hope you get it sorted, god damn eir inflicting unnecessary stress and hardship on people left right and center.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Dcully wrote: »
    I was going to say this is absolutely shocking but its an every day occurrence with eir, i feel for you as ive been through similar.
    The reps here will just tell you to ring customer care, not what you wanted to hear im afraid.

Only thing that comes to mind is when i rang customer care recently my account number was sufficient to get to talk to someone as i dont have a landline anymore.
    I really hope you get it sorted, god damn eir inflicting unnecessary stress and hardship on people left right and center.

Thanks Dcully. Indeed, that is not what I wanted to hear but about as much as I'd expect. After all if they won't deal with me on the phone why would they do it on here?

I'm not expecting much to come from my thread, no doubt it will take several more hours of being on hold, trips into the shop time off work and so on to get this sorted out. But if it serves as a warning to others than maybe it will be worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

Hello everyone,

First time poster, long time fan of boards. I made an account today as my back is against the wall and really need some advice.

Me and my wife moved house about 2 months ago so naturally enough I informed eir that we were moving and that I wanted the landline and broadband at my previous address moved to where we were moving. I was told that how it works is that the previous account is cancelled and that a new one is created with a new landline and broadband at the new address.

This was all good and well and an engineer came out to install the new landline and broadband at the new premises. The ongoing nightmare began when the broadband didn’t work.

After trying several times to get in touch (very difficult with the waiting times) I eventually got through to someone who told me they would not discuss my account with me without an account number, landline number, etc. I logged onto myeir to find this information and began the whole lot over again only to eventually get through to someone who told me all this was relating to the previous account that I had placed the cancellation on and without an account number and landline etc. for the current broadband/landline he could not discuss these issues with me. I logged onto myeir and could not find anything. I trolled through my emails and there was nothing. Nothing had arrived in the post. (I since discovered they had emailed my disused email address, an email they had been told I no longer use and haven’t been sending my bills to in well over 12 months).

After taking time off work to go to my local eir store and after a heated row and heightened temper the man in the shop eventually gave me my new account number. After beginning the process of calling all over again, waiting, I eventually got through to someone in tech support and we went through the checks and he told me he would send out an engineer. The engineer went to my previous address where I no longer live and when they couldn’t gain access they didn’t even call. My wife had taken the morning off work to be at home. After beginning the process of calling all over again, waiting, I eventually got through to someone in tech support last Friday night and we went through the checks and he told me I needed a new modem. I had one delivered during the week and low and behold, still no internet access.

I have tried calling again multiple times and cannot get through over the waiting times and when I do no one will speak to me because I do not have a landline number for my current account. I also notice that when I log onto myeir and look at mobile usage these calls are extra cost as they are not part of my bundle. Calls to customer support are not part of my bundle. I could spend 40 mins and get through to no one or be fobbed off because I don’t have a landline number that was never sent to me and I could be charged a cost of €7.

I don’t know what more I can do. I can’t afford to keep taking time off. This has cost both me and my wife money in that I depend on my internet connection for business and she has taken time off work. Additionally, I’m being charged now for calling customer service. I’m genuinely thinking of calling my solicitor.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Hi Ruraldweller56, 

I'm very sorry to hear about the ongoing issues you are having with ourselves, I understand this is frustrating. 

If you PM me your account number, full name on the account, email address and date of birth, I'll have a look into these issues for you. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

Just an update on this folks. I’ve had to take yet another half day from work to go into the shop to try and get this sorted out. That brings between me and my wife 2 full days of work missed already over this situation, 2 half days from me and 2 half days from her. And there’s more to come. That’s not taking into account the countless hours spent on the phone.

After going in and speaking to the assistant in the shop I was handed a bill for over €200 and told I needed to pay it in store as my direct debit was linked with my previous account number and that had been removed along with the change of account. He told me I would not be getting any refund for the broadband connection that hadn’t been working as all the calls I had been making were relating to my previous account and that no faults had been logged on my new account. This is the account I had no account number or landline for (hadn’t been sent to me by eir) and that no one on the phones in customer support or tech services would speak to me without having this information.

He arranged for an engineer to come out to my house and I asked him if he confirmed that it would be my new address and not my previous address as that’s where the engineer went last time. He did say it would be my new address and that the engineer would call me this time.

I asked why the engineer who ‘installed’ the broadband first day did not check if the connection was working before he left and he said he did not know.

I also received another bill of €60 for the modem unit from the previous address despite the fact that it was taken away by the engineer when he came to install the new broadband.

I still have no date or time arranged to have this problem resolved.

This is starting to jeopardise my business. I am losing business and cannot tend fully to the needs of my clients without broadband.

I will PM you Tracey but I’m not convinced anything is going to be done.

Just an update on this folks. I’ve had to take yet another half day from work to go into the shop to try and get this sorted out. That brings between me and my wife 2 full days of work missed already over this situation, 2 half days from me and 2 half days from her. And there’s more to come. That’s not taking into account the countless hours spent on the phone.

After going in and speaking to the assistant in the shop I was handed a bill for over €200 and told I needed to pay it in store as my direct debit was linked with my previous account number and that had been removed along with the change of account. He told me I would not be getting any refund for the broadband connection that hadn’t been working as all the calls I had been making were relating to my previous account and that no faults had been logged on my new account. This is the account I had no account number or landline for (hadn’t been sent to me by eir) and that no one on the phones in customer support or tech services would speak to me without having this information.

He arranged for an engineer to come out to my house and I asked him if he confirmed that it would be my new address and not my previous address as that’s where the engineer went last time. He did say it would be my new address and that the engineer would call me this time.

I asked why the engineer who ‘installed’ the broadband first day did not check if the connection was working before he left and he said he did not know.

I also received another bill of €60 for the modem unit from the previous address despite the fact that it was taken away by the engineer when he came to install the new broadband.

I still have no date or time arranged to have this problem resolved.

This is starting to jeopardise my business. I am losing business and cannot tend fully to the needs of my clients without broadband.

I will PM you Tracey but I’m not convinced anything is going to be done.
    I completely understand your frustration here. 

I've received your PM and responded there now. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

• Advertisement

So folks I had meant to post an update on this a while ago but decided to wait just to make sure everything was sorted out.

My broadband connection was eventually sorted out and Tracy here arranged a refund and a goodwill gesture to be put in to my next bill.

Thank you very much Tracy.

It turned out that the model number of the box on the wall differed from the one that they had in their base. (I can't imagine why it would matter) it took a further hour of my wife's time on the phone to figure that out.

This took a total of 2 and a half days off work for me and my wife. And almost 7 hours worth of calls.

And today I received a bill, with an additional €45 added on for the modem that the engineer who had initially 'installed' my broadband took away with him.

Of all the things that were involved in purchasing and moving into our new house right the way through from viewings, to arranging the mortgage, dealing with the bank (being self employed - not straightforward), bins, electricity, decorating, odd repairs, solicitors, valuation, this issue has been by far the most stressful and drawn out and difficult to resolve.

I actually feel like a broken man from dealing with them at this stage. Maybe I should just ignore the €45. Really don't know what to do with these people anymore.

I'd switch to another service provider but I'm genuinely frightened at the prospect of cancelling my contract and setting up with someone else. If it's anything like this I'm not sure it will be worth it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Try emailing the Ceo of Éir ; carolan.lennon@eir.ie
    This email is freely available on Google

Emmersonn wrote: »
    Try emailing the Ceo of Éir ; carolan.lennon@eir.ie
    This email is freely available on Google

I'll try it. I'll have to try and explain all this to her from the beginning. It feels like I'm on trial and being made to relive this over and over.

All because someone mixed up a serial number on a box.

So folks I had meant to post an update on this a while ago but decided to wait just to make sure everything was sorted out.

My broadband connection was eventually sorted out and Tracy here arranged a refund and a goodwill gesture to be put in to my next bill.

Thank you very much Tracy.

It turned out that the model number of the box on the wall differed from the one that they had in their base. (I can't imagine why it would matter) it took a further hour of my wife's time on the phone to figure that out.

This took a total of 2 and a half days off work for me and my wife. And almost 7 hours worth of calls.

And today I received a bill, with an additional €45 added on for the modem that the engineer who had initially 'installed' my broadband took away with him.

Of all the things that were involved in purchasing and moving into our new house right the way through from viewings, to arranging the mortgage, dealing with the bank (being self employed - not straightforward), bins, electricity, decorating, odd repairs, solicitors, valuation, this issue has been by far the most stressful and drawn out and difficult to resolve.

I actually feel like a broken man from dealing with them at this stage. Maybe I should just ignore the €45. Really don't know what to do with these people anymore.

I'd switch to another service provider but I'm genuinely frightened at the prospect of cancelling my contract and setting up with someone else. If it's anything like this I'm not sure it will be worth it.
    Hi there, 

I'm glad to hear you got this sorted in the end, I'm sorry it took so long. 

I've credited the modem charge back to you so you are not liable for it. This will show on the next bill issued to you. 

Apologies again for all inconvenience caused. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

Advertisement