Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you get a mortgage during the probation period in a new job?

Options
  • 05-10-2018 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

No, you will get approved in principle but not drawdown until passed probation

Pheonix10 wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

bri007 wrote: »
    No, you will get approved in principle but not drawdown until passed probation

That has been my experience (twice)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

fjon wrote: »
    That has been my experience (twice)

Is it of the discretion of the bank or a firm no? Conflicting answer from a user above :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Approved on Monday by Ulster bank, wife started a new job 4 months ago. Needed a letter to state she was off probation otherwise nothing doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Is it of the discretion of the bank or a firm no? Conflicting answer from a user above :/

I had two different banks, both offer AIP, but one of the stipulations for drawing down the mortgage is the probation period must be passed.
    If you/ your partner are pretty sure the probation period will be over when you go to draw down the mortgage then there's nothing stopping you from looking at houses with the AIP.
    You'll find it hard to actually draw down the mortgage with any bank with one of you on your probation period.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭_brendand_

In theory the bank manager will tell you they require a letter from your employer that you passed probation. In reality during my mortgage application, this was never requested. They are entitled to ask for whatever documentation they think is reasonable so I wouldn't really bet on being lucky enough to avoid this hurdle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

We have AIP from PTSB and Ulster Bank. Both said we need to be out of probation before drawdown though.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭miss misty

Depends on your profession.....

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭tomfoolery60

https://barden.ie/useful-tips/you-cant-move-jobs-and-get-a-mortgage-at-the-same-time-wrong-heres-why/

This seems to suggest you can but perhaps by approval they mean AIP rather than drawing down....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Probably depends on the lender. I required a signed letter to say I was permenant, and 6 months worth of payslips for BoI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

https://barden.ie/useful-tips/you-cant-move-jobs-and-get-a-mortgage-at-the-same-time-wrong-heres-why/

This seems to suggest you can but perhaps by approval they mean AIP rather than drawing down....

Have you used them at all? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

We were going through the application processes this year. My wife had a 12 month probation period that just ended. We were told that because she’s part time and is he lower of the two salaries they would probably have allowed it if it was 6 months, but not a 12 month probation.

If the higher income is still on probation then probably no, if it’s the lower income in the joint mortgage then you might be ok.

I got AIP as a single applicant when only on one year fixed term contracts. I didn’t go ahead but they were contacting me asking when I wanted to proceed etc so can’t see why they wouldn’t have given full approval. With this in mind I can’t see too much issue getting it during the probation period of a permenant job if you are in a good position overall to go for a mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I took a new job in August, spoke to a broker about this issue and were basically told to forget it. We can draw down in Feb, so I think we'll try get AIP in maybe a month or two and start house-hunting with a view to closing in Feb. It's annoying because there are a lot of properties out there at the moment that we can afford and we like, but they'll probably be gone by the time we can buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Are you on 6 months probation?

If you have consistently worked in same field of employment and your not on probation in your new job you may stil be eligible, if it’s probation then you will have to wait until that’s passed.

I took a new job in August, spoke to a broker about this issue and were basically told to forget it. We can draw down in Feb, so I think we'll try get AIP in maybe a month or two and start house-hunting with a view to closing in Feb. It's annoying because there are a lot of properties out there at the moment that we can afford and we like, but they'll probably be gone by the time we can buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭tomfoolery60

Have you used them at all? :)

No! But I did see the piece in a newsletter. Again it did say "approval" not drawdown. Which is something every bank will give you

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

bri007 wrote: »
    Are you on 6 months probation?

If you have consistently worked in same field of employment and your not on probation in your new job you may stil be eligible, if it’s probation then you will have to wait until that’s passed.

Yeah I'm on 6 months probation. That's the issue rather than time in the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭tfeldi

I was able to get a mortgage drawdown with EBS during probation with very low LTV. What they assessed was how likely I would be able to get another job if I didn't complete the probation successfully. I needed to share my CV. Both my current and previous employers are well known reputable companies.

Joined applicants but second applicant was without income at that point.

Advertisement