Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get Goo Gone

Options
  • 05-10-2018 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

Is Goo Gone available in any Dublin shops? (Goo Gone is stuff that takes off the gooey gluey stuff left on jars when you soak off the labels.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Use WD40.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Booms

Or eucalyptus essential oil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Prefer my jam not to taste like my bike or my sinus remedy, but thanks for the suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Rechuchote wrote: »
    Prefer my jam not to taste like my bike or my sinus remedy, but thanks for the suggestions.

Seriously? The glue is on the outside...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Booms

Well, Watson, we can safely assume the OP is not a Koala!

BgZ1u_4IgAAOTfg.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Surely you wash the jars before filling?

Surely you wash the jars before filling?

Yeah, but certain smells are reeeeally hard to get rid of.

If the stuff isn't here I can get it on Amazon. I'd prefer to buy it in Dublin, though. It's another of the many things that Tesco sells in Britain, but oddly, not in its Irish branches.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yeah, but certain smells are reeeeally hard to get rid of.
    glass is not going to absorb smells, that is one of the big pluses about it, why it is used for lab equipment etc. If you have a jar of minced garlic then sure as hell the lid is going to absolutely stink, and you will never get rid of the smell from the lid, but I have washed out garlic jars with just water and there was no smell of garlic off the glass at all.

I have never had to resort to solvents to clean jars. I soak and take the label off, if difficult I soak in water with washing up liquid, which gets it to soak better. If stuff is left on the jar it can usually be scraped off using something, I have used a butchers knife, the sharp or opposite blunt side. It usually just flicks off it. If there are still remnants I get them off with a scouring pad.

In work I have had to get stubborn adhesive off things and the chemicals can be nasty, just dissolving and spreading it.

Yeah, me too. I soak off labels in hot water with detergent and vinegar; if that doesn't work I replace with detergent and washing soda.

But I'm lazy. My life is short and precious. I don't want to spend it scraping glue off glass if there's a product that'll do it, zzimmm!

The only one I've never succeeded in getting off is a plastic see-through one on some kind of French jam that's held on through many soaks, dishwasher runs, etc. I've given in; it's bested me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It's basically a load of solvent with citrus flavour, no?

https://hpd.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=brands&id=8018091&query=goo+gone&searchas=TblBrands

I would try nail varnish remover or WD40. If you want to stay food-friendly as possible, then a drop of whiskey might help! (I mean to move the sticky residue, not to drink.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Alcohol will break it down too. Any alcohol based cleaner, even the hand sanatiser will do it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Rubbing alcohol from the chemist do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You'll get the equivalent chemicals in RS in Rialto branded as generic label removers rather than the consumer branded name

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

But I'm lazy. My life is short and precious. I don't want to spend it scraping glue off glass if there's a product that'll do it, zzimmm!
    You should just leave it on so, it's doing no harm.

Alcohol and even acetone are pretty much no use against some glues they use.

I wonder how much cost of chemicals are being used per jar, might be cheaper to just buy empty jars.

alpack do them
    https://www.alpack.ie/

some other Irish place do them but I can't remember the name.

Just buy new jars. Hardly takes Einstein to figure stuff like this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Or even better, buy jam someone else made in the supermarket :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭blue_blue

OP - you need to buy a bag of sand, heat it to a few thousand degrees and forge your own sticker-free glass.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Or even better, buy jam someone else made in the supermarket :pac:
    blue_blue wrote: »
    OP - you need to buy a bag of sand, heat it to a few thousand degrees and forge your own sticker-free glass.

Gosh, how handy that we have a source of genius here!

Glad to be of service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

B&Q sell a product called ‘sticky stuff remover’ by de-solv-it. Google it. I’ve tried other products but this one works best & isnt as toxic smelling and surface damaging as some others.

• Advertisement

coffeepls wrote: »
    B&Q sell a product called ‘sticky stuff remover’ by de-solv-it. Google it. I’ve tried other products but this one works best & isnt as toxic smelling and surface damaging as some others.

Thank you! And I like the name.

Advertisement