Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travelling through Toronto

• 05-10-2018 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭

Next week I fly from Shannon to Denver via Toronto.

I think I heard from someone before that Canada has some ESTA type thing.

Is this true?
    If so, anyone know of any forms or paperwork stuff I have to do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Missus Doubtfire

It can be done online. It costs about €7. Check out the Canadian Government Website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭obi604

It can be done online. It costs about €7. Check out the Canadian Government Website.

Thanks.
    So I definitely need to do something ?

Yes. You should get a reply almost instantly.

Sorry Neg G but Ob1 should check out this link (assuming they have an Irish Passport)

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas-result.asp?country=IE&result=2

Negative_G wrote: »
    If you are only using the airport to connect flights to Denver you do not need anything for Canada.

You will likely do preclearance in Toronto so make sure you have plenty of time. Absolutely minimum of 3 hours from my experience assuming no delays.

It’s just for connecting flights. I just did it anyways to be sure.

Ah sh1te, so I have to do more pre clearance stuff in Toronto so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭circular flexing

obi604 wrote: »
    It’s just for connecting flights. I just did it anyways to be sure.

Ah sh1te, so I have to do more pre clearance stuff in Toronto so.

Yes you will clear US customs and immigration in Toronto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tringle

You will need an ETA to travel to Canada. It costs € 7, the email may tell you it takes up to 48 hours but it usually comes back within 30 minutes. You won't be able to board the flight without it. And yes pre clearance will happen in Toronto not Shannon.

tringle wrote: »
    You will need an ETA to travel to Canada. It costs € 7, the email may tell you it takes up to 48 hours but it usually comes back within 30 minutes. You won't be able to board the flight without it. And yes pre clearance will happen in Toronto not Shannon.

Thanks

So I do pre clearance at Shannon for the US.
    Then I have to do another pre clearance process at Toronto.

Presume I need to give myself lots of time to get through this process at Toronto.

Thanks

So I do pre clearance at Shannon for the US.
    Then I have to do another pre clearance process at Toronto.

Presume I need to give myself lots of time to get through this process at Toronto.

No preclearance at Shannon (you are flying to Canada and Canada doesn't have preclearance) only in Toronto. in Toronto, you will clear Canada customs/immigration and also US customs/immigration. Depending on time of day, passing through security/customs in Toronto for US flight shouldn't take too long, it only took me about 15 minutes last week at around 2pm on a Friday. It looks like you might have to pick your checked bag up to recheck it too (if you have one).

Pearson have a handy guide on their website: https://www.torontopearson.com/Connecting.aspx# just enter your arriving/departing destination and airlines in the pull downs at the bottom of the page.

• Advertisement

No preclearance at Shannon (you are flying to Canada and Canada doesn't have preclearance) only in Toronto. in Toronto, you will clear Canada customs/immigration and also US customs/immigration. Depending on time of day, passing through security/customs in Toronto for US flight shouldn't take too long, it only took me about 15 minutes last week at around 2pm on a Friday. It looks like you might have to pick your checked bag up to recheck it too (if you have one).

Pearson have a handy guide on their website: https://www.torontopearson.com/Connecting.aspx# just enter your arriving/departing destination and airlines in the pull downs at the bottom of the page.

Right. But in order to get to the gate in Shannon where my flight takes off from, do I not have to go through the US pre clearance stuff. I.e. there is no other physical way to get to the gate at Shannon for US bound flights without passing through the US pre clearance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

You're not on a us bound flight from Shannon. You're on a Canada bound flight.

You're not on a us bound flight from Shannon. You're on a Canada bound flight.

Doh yeah. Suppose I meant I’m on a flight where my final destination is US.

OK, so I don’t do US pre clearance in Shannonat all.

Feck, that’s a pain. Didn’t know all this. Won’t be travelling via Canada again

Does this mean no need to turn up 3 hours in advance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

You will not clear pre-clearance in Shannon.

In Shannon you will do standard airport security. You do not need to arrive 3 hours early.

In Toronto you will go through Canadian customs, Canadian airport security and then US pre-clearance.

Only fights that are nonstop to the US from Shannon and Dublin are eligible for pre-clearance with some exclusions ( eg Ethiopian to LAX from Dublin)

If you are tranisitting before arriving in the US you cannot preclear. Otherwise you have a mix of people who have precelared US customs and not which defeats the purpose of US customs

You will not clear pre-clearance in Shannon.

In Shannon you will do standard airport security. You do not need to arrive 3 hours early.

In Toronto you will go through Canadian customs, Canadian airport security and then US pre-clearance.

Only fights that are nonstop to the US from Shannon and Dublin are eligible for pre-clearance with some exclusions ( eg Ethiopian to LAX from Dublin)

If you are tranisitting before arriving in the US you cannot preclear. Otherwise you have a mix of people who have precelared US customs and not which defeats the purpose of US customs

Thanks again. Very helpful.

Do you reckon my checked bags will go straight through to Denver?

Or will I have to do something with them at Toronto ?

Air Canada flights were going from gate 14, a bit of a walk and as said you will not goI through pre clearance. Your bags should be checked all the way through, they will be tagged with a transit sticker. Narrow body plane and seats towards the back a bit tight.
    Have fun.

Air Canada flights were going from gate 14, a bit of a walk and as said you will not goI through pre clearance. Your bags should be checked all the way through, they will be tagged with a transit sticker. Narrow body plane and seats towards the back a bit tight.
    Have fun.

Gate 14 in Shannon is it?

I have seat 1d so think that’s ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If you booked Shannon to Denver then you do nothing. If you booked Shannon to Toronto and a separate Toronto to Denver then you'll need to pick up your bags.

Gate 14 in Shannon is it?

I have seat 1d so think that’s ok

Nice seat and decent meal.
    It was gate 14 and seats called in order so you will be on first.

Good stuff.

Have done a few flights to states this year , was shocked and disappointed that all flights across the pond were just the 3 seats each side of the aisle planes.

Just seems more cramped than the bigger planes with I think 2 then aisle, 4 then aisle, 2 seats.

• Advertisement

Good stuff.

Have done a few flights to states this year , was shocked and disappointed that all flights across the pond were just the 3 seats each side of the aisle planes.

Just seems more cramped than the bigger planes with I think 2 then aisle, 4 then aisle, 2 seats.

Del2005 wrote: »
    If you booked Shannon to Denver then you do nothing. If you booked Shannon to Toronto and a separate Toronto to Denver then you'll need to pick up your bags.

Canada has a (strange) rule where you have to collect your bag and put it on the baggage belt for your connecting flight. So while the bag will probably be tagged to Denver, I think it'll need to be collected at Toronto and placed on the baggage belt.

Canada has a (strange) rule where you have to collect your bag and put it on the baggage belt for your connecting flight. So while the bag will probably be tagged to Denver, I think it'll need to be collected at Toronto and placed on the baggage belt.

I booked Shannon — > Denver
    And it just happens to go through Toronto.

Right, so I may have to collect my bag in Toronto then !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I remember having to do that entering the USA before pre clearance, had to collect my bag for customs even though it was checked through. Completely forgot about it.

Good stuff.

It is a narrow body, 3 seats and 3 seats. A 737 max, but first 8 rows are big seats 2 seats and 2 seats with nice space. Then when it goes 3 seats the first lot are "preferred seating" so cost extra and have extra legroom. Down the back the seats are actually tighter than Ryanair.
    Info correct in June this year, inaugural flight was 2nd June and plane was new.

Advertisement