Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tick infestation.

• 05-10-2018 1:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

I have seen a few deer (shot)this year with 100's of ticks on them. I'm left wondering if these high numbers of ticks are attributable to the hot summer. To be honest I've never seen as many ticks in my life. Has anyone else noticed high numbers too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I can't upload the film but the last few animals taken both from the wood and on the hill were infested with ticks around the groin and in the pits of the front legs.... I'd say it's the weather as the cold seems to clear them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Living with lymes disease was on RTE last night, the tick talk ireland facebook page had a lot of members on it.

Very informative and just really goes to show how most of the medical profession doesnt even know about it.

Its not the ticks you can see that you have to worry about, its the nymph, which are tiny and very easy to miss.

You've no chance of spotting them wearing dark clothing.

556e1276b06bc.image.jpg

I've seeing deer oozing out blood this year with such a tick infestation, worse than any other year.

Some parts of the county are riddled, others not so bad. I stick with the latter these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

We have had incidents in the Tipperary area in recent years of Lyme disease. Very nasty and difficult to diagnose a few years ago. People more aware of it now and information notices have been on display in local Garda Barracks. About 5 years ago a girl had Lyme disease and no one here knew anything about ,she even went to U.S.A. and they recognised it.I removed ticks from my dog, you must remove the whole body of the tick. I had a problem with one by his eye and I used a cotton bud dipped in whiskey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Zxthinger wrote: »
    I have seen a few deer (shot)this year with 100's of ticks on them. I'm left wondering if these high numbers of ticks are attributable to the hot summer. To be honest I've never seen as many ticks in my life. Has anyone else noticed high numbers too.

Has to be - I keep sheep on my place in the West and its been the worst year for them(and maggots!!:(

Advertisement