Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2019

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Joke of a budget. Where do Sein Fein and the non working people of this country get their sense of entitlement from.

Lets spend all our tax money on building them free houses and giving them a pay rise to their a already free money - let's stick in a Christmas bonus too

Tax cuts to middle income is ridiculous. Why are we still even paying that USC tax in 2018.

Sick of paying for freeloaders....

Are you blaming SF and the poor for a FG budget you don't like? Folk want houses to rent they can afford not hotel rooms. The housing crisis has more tax payers in its wake than any other demographic you may hear about anecdotally or otherwise.
    Gbear wrote: »
    Is there a decent breakdown of who is actually getting social welfare?

What proportion of people are on the dole for more than a year at a time?
    What proportion of social welfare paid out is given to long term unemployed vs those who have contributed or will later go on to contribute more than enough to cover the cost in income tax?

There's a difference between giving multi-generational layabouts an increase vs giving someone between jobs an increase, or someone upskilling an increase in the back to education allowance, that'll be repaid multiple times over with the tax revenue from a higher skilled job they will end up getting.

If it's the case that 15% of individuals who receive the dole have no interest in working, and account for 90% of the annual costs, then it doesn't mean the amounts need to be reduced, but that more needs to be done to tie the payment to legitimate need and proof of engagement in education or finding work.

Welfare covers a lot. Taxpayers on low incomes needing rental aid, the sick, elderly and those Dutch Gold welfare Ninjas, (who brasenly do nothing but get free money, which is illegal and I thought each recipient was vetted? live and learn). I think the 60m for 'emergency' housing has it's own budget, not covered under welfare. Not sure.

As the cost of living increases so to does the need for higher welfare rates, go figure.

lawred2 wrote: »
    What do FG actually stand for?

supporters of the Fvintners Group?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

lawred2 wrote: »
    What do FG actually stand for?

Keeping the head down, appeasing the opposition and not caring about the electorate as they know they have their loyal fanbase already just like FF, they know they will always have a good support from the electorate regardless of how badly they treat their voters, could the term Stockholm Syndrome be apt here?

Saying that, who else can the voters who can see through their crap vote for if not FG or FF? The rest don't inspire confidence, not that FG or FF inspire much confidence either. I have actually requested from the council to be removed from the voting register as I do not wish to partake in the charade anymore. People may say that I can't complain then if you don't vote and get a Government you don't like, I would be of the opinion, regardless if you vote or not and with the current choice of parties, most of us aren't going to get a Government to help those that put in the most effort to contribute to society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭oceanman

sounds like a good budget for social housing....lets hope the government follow through on it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,259 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Gbear wrote: »
    Is there a decent breakdown of who is actually getting social welfare?

What proportion of people are on the dole for more than a year at a time?
    What proportion of social welfare paid out is given to long term unemployed vs those who have contributed or will later go on to contribute more than enough to cover the cost in income tax?

There's a difference between giving multi-generational layabouts an increase vs giving someone between jobs an increase, or someone upskilling an increase in the back to education allowance, that'll be repaid multiple times over with the tax revenue from a higher skilled job they will end up getting.

If it's the case that 15% of individuals who receive the dole have no interest in working, and account for 90% of the annual costs, then it doesn't mean the amounts need to be reduced, but that more needs to be done to tie the payment to legitimate need and proof of engagement in education or finding work.

Nobody has a problem with honest people who genuinely need assistance. If we cut out the lifers then there would be more in the pot for those people and no-one would be complain if they were getting a Christmas bonus and an increase in weekly payments.

• Advertisement

oceanman wrote: »
    sounds like a good budget for social housing....lets hope the government follow through on it..

It's not. It's more of the same:
    Housing
    €1.25bn allocated for the delivery of 10,000 new social homes through a combination of construction, acquisition and leasing.

Construction could mean PPP, aquisition is buying off the market at market rates for use as social housing and leasing is paying private landlords for rent.
    TitianGerm wrote: »
    Nobody has a problem with honest people who genuinely need assistance. If we cut out the lifers then there would be more in the pot for those people and no-one would be complain if they were getting a Christmas bonus and an increase in weekly payments.

Do we know how many people are illegally claiming welfare? That's what not wanting to work entails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Joke of a budget. Where do Sein Fein and the non working people of this country get their sense of entitlement from.

Lets spend all our tax money on building them free houses and giving them a pay rise to their a already free money - let's stick in a Christmas bonus too

Tax cuts to middle income is ridiculous. Why are we still even paying that USC tax in 2018.

Sick of paying for freeloaders....

Did you just blame every one else but FG for a FG budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Think the the increase in Hospitality vat is a bit much in 1 go. Just because some hotels are taking the piss with prices when there is an event on many rural hotels arent seeing the recovery. The odd gaa diner dance and wedding are keeping them going.
    The increase in the dole. Sorry we are near full employment so there should be no increase in the dole and christmas bonus for staying in your pjs alll day is an insult to the working person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,808 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I really think they should have addressed some of the problems re the environment. Kicking the can down the road on carbon taxes will eventually catch up with us and the bill then could be a lot higher.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I really think they should have addressed some of the problems re the environment. Kicking the can down the road on carbon taxes will eventually catch up with us and the bill then could be a lot higher.

Yep. Only the other day the UN was on about how we need drastic changes now. 'First generation to feel the effects of climate change and last generation to be able to do something about it'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,259 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It's not. It's more of the same:

Construction could mean PPP, aquisition is buying off the market at market rates for use as social housing and leasing is paying private landlords for rent.

Do we know how many people are illegally claiming welfare? That's what not wanting to work entails.

From my year in school there were 9 lads who have never worked a day in there lives, there was about 120 in my year group. From talking to them they have no intention of ever working

Four of those guys dad's were in school with my dad and they never worked a day in their lives either.

These are the type of people who shouldn't get welfare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Did you just blame every one else but FG for a FG budget?

I am blaming FG also for being cowards and bowing to the pressure of SF and the freeloaders looking for more handouts.

Also have no political allegiance to any party

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I am blaming FG also for being cowards and bowing to the pressure of SF and the freeloaders looking for more handouts.

Populism seems to be FGs game

There is no one to vote for

If FG bowed to the Shinners USC wouldn't have been cut and all those nice multinationals would be preparing themselves for a hammering on corporation tax.

This is a FG/ IA budget with the connivance of FF and no one else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    That would instantly kill betting in Ireland. No Irish customer is going to pay 2% when they can so easily do it for nothing online. And anyway, the likes of PP are always going to swallow the cost which they can afford to do but others can't. It'll mean just PP are left as the local independent can hardly charge tax (which few would be stupid enough to pay regardless) when the bigger competitor isnt

When it was 5% the customers paid it. There's nothing saying that it can't be a requirement to pass it on either. And it does also apply to online betting. Bookies got around it by basing their online facilities outside of the state but that's a loophole that can be closed easy enough.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    From my year in school there were 9 lads who have never worked a day in there lives, there was about 120 in my year group. From talking to them they have no intention of ever working

Four of those guys dad's were in school with my dad and they never worked a day in their lives either.

These are the type of people who shouldn't get welfare.

I completely agree. How are they getting away with it? Don't they need show they are seeking work and/or attend courses designed to get them working?

You're blaiming FG for being like other parties/people. Not being true to themselves, by the sound of it. This is great for Fine Gael.
    They do good, it's all FG, they do bad, they bowed to pressure. That way folk can keep voting FG with a clear conscience. Genius.
    It wasn't SF or the poor who created and exacerbate the housing crisis. And in fact, the only folk happy with FG's more of the same is FF, shocker.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Bookies got around it by basing their online facilities outside of the state but that's a loophole that can be closed easy enough.

Already has been, three years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Did a quick check using taxcalc.ie. 40 cent a week extra for 2019. 40 f***ing cent. WTF is wrong with you Leo Varadkar

Did a quick check using taxcalc.ie. 40 cent a week extra for 2019. 40 f***ing cent. WTF is wrong with you Leo Varadkar

I take it you're one of those who gets up early in the morning so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Full time and partner part time so she can look after the kids. Pretty normal these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭nc6000

What about Leo and all his talk of leading a party for people who get up early in the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Petyr Baelish

I'm disgusted by this. I thought it was bad last year when my tax cut worked out to be the same as the social welfare increase but this year is a disgrace.

Someone on welfare gets 5 euro extra per week. I work full time and I get 85 cents per week in a tax cut so with inflation I'm worse off than last year.

nc6000 wrote: »
    What about Leo and all his talk of leading a party for people who get up early in the morning?

That went out the window this time last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

I completely agree. How are they getting away with it? Don't they need show they are seeking work and/or attend courses designed to get them working?

You're blaiming FG for being like other parties/people. Not being true to themselves, by the sound of it. This is great for Fine Gael.
    They do good, it's all FG, they do bad, they bowed to pressure. That way folk can keep voting FG with a clear conscience. Genius.
    It wasn't SF or the poor who created and exacerbate the housing crisis. And in fact, the only folk happy with FG's more of the same is FF, shocker.

Anyway, I don't give a sh1te who's to blame, I'll leave that to the politicians and their followers.
    It's the sense of entitlement from people who don't pay tax and who could -
    why is it my job to pay for them???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭oceanman

he ment those that get up early for a pee..:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

They should just rename it the workers service charge , nothing universal about it

A joke we are still paying this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭enricoh

4.5% increase on hospitality is bananas. Brits are the biggest percentage of tourists that come here, with sterling tanking against the euro it is a lot dearer to come here now. And the government throw 4.5%on top of that-real trade union type stuff.
    Great to see the dole increased, Christmas bonus increased, back to school allowance increased and fuel allowance increased. Employers have to compete with the dole or disability allowance these days!!

I think you'd be told to toddle along now, get up earlier and stop whinging.
    Anyway, I don't give a sh1te who's to blame, I'll leave that to the politicians and their followers.
    It's the sense of entitlement from people who don't pay tax and who could -
    why is it my job to pay for them???

Looks like you do give a sh*te just misdirected IMO.
    The sense of entitlement thing is another con job. People working and paying tax should feel entitled to be able to afford rent without having to look for a hand out. FG are creating business for the housing industry and private landlords by relying on them so heavily to the cost of the tax payer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

The rainy day fund funnelling is another kick in the teeth as the dog in the street knows this won't protect the people but will be used to pay off the likes of bondholders etc if it all goes tits up. Now there is a cause for a rainy day fund to be utilised - fix the housing crisis as it truly is at catastrophic proportions and plummeting further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭enricoh

The rainy day fund funnelling is another kick in the teeth as the dog in the street knows this won't protect the people but will be used to pay off the likes of bondholders etc if it all goes tits up. Now there is a cause for a rainy day fund to be utilised - fix the housing crisis as it truly is at catastrophic proportions and plummeting further.

2.3 billion is to be spent on housing in 2019, how much is enough? Builders are flat out at the minute, does anyone in the country think that the government will get good value for its 2.3 billion. Construction inflation through the roof next year!!

Advertisement