Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2019

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

I'm about 300 euro better off per year. Didn't tds give themselves an 800 euro salary increase recently?

Absolutely sick of this joke of a country. What's worse is there's no viable alternative to FG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Pelvis wrote:
    I'm about 300 euro better off per year. Didn't tds give themselves an 800 euro salary increase recently?

I'm no fan of TD's no matter their party but their pay is linked to the civil service. Under pay restoration agreements made between the government and their employees they received an increase which was paid out to all. I think ministers are the only ones who didn't avail of the pay increase. I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Pelvis wrote: »

Absolutely sick of this joke of a country. What's worse is there's no viable alternative to FG.

No, TDs did not give themselves a pay rise.

TD wages are linked to civil service pay scales.

TD do not control their own wages.

As part of the current partial restoration of PS pay, many PS, including TDs, got some of the former pay cuts restored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

NIMAN wrote: »
    Did I hear Leo on the News At 9 say they plan to build 15,000 homes next year? (can't remember if it was 15000 or more but it was definitely around that figure)

Now isn't there 10000 homeless?

Considering that includes families of at least 2 or more people, does this mean that homelessness crisis will be ended once these houses are Allocated?

No.

There are 90,000 approx on social housing waiting lists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

blanch152 wrote: »
    You have made a ridiculous point that those with jobs should change jobs to get an increase in pay, but that people on social welfare should be allowed sit on their arse to get the same or better increase?

Do you not realise that a better solution would be to increase the incentive to work.
    I never said they should be allowed sit on their arse. There are people who will lose their job in January or February next year who will be glad of the extra fiver. Not everyone who receives those benefits are long term unemployed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭ShaneC93

NIMAN wrote: »
    Now isn't there 10000 homeless?

Considering that includes families of at least 2 or more people, does this mean that homelessness crisis will be ended once these houses are Allocated?

Even in the countries that are considered the best for those looking for social housing, countries that could / have the housing stock to allocate housing to everyone on the waitlist - They don't do that, they still make people wait 3-10 years on the list (or at least those eligible to work).

If the goverment somehow had enough units tomorrow and got the whole list down to nothing, there'd be another few thousand on it by the next month once people realise there's no wait list / surplus housing.

--

On numbers the "homeless" stats really depends on who you listen to / what you include. Is someone renting on HAP homeless? Some homeless charities seem to think so and some seem to think that all those on the social housing list are 'homeless'. Or is it just those in hubs/hotels/b&bs or even just those sleeping rough (<1000 county-wide and most have issues with long term rough-sleeping due to mental issues / drug-abuse).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

tobsey wrote: »
    The working family taking home €21k would be getting about €120 a week under the Working Family Payment so the welfare system is looking after them too.

To all those moaning that people on the dole are getting more than you, if you can’t increase your earnings by more than €5 net a week through a pay rise or switching jobs then you’ve nobody to blame but yourself. Someone earning €30k would need a raise of about 1%. You should be looking for more than that.

Ah so it's people's fault they work ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

ShaneC93 wrote: »
    Even in the countries that are considered the best for those looking for social housing, countries that could / have the housing stock to allocate housing to everyone on the waitlist - They don't do that, they still make people wait 3-10 years on the list (or at least those eligible to work).

If the goverment somehow had enough units tomorrow and got the whole list down to nothing, there'd be another few thousand on it by the next month once people realise there's no wait list / surplus housing.

--

On numbers the "homeless" stats really depends on who you listen to / what you include. Is someone renting on HAP homeless? Some homeless charities seem to think so and some seem to think that all those on the social housing list are 'homeless'. Or is it just those in hubs/hotels/b&bs or even just those sleeping rough (<1000 county-wide and most have issues with long term rough-sleeping due to mental issues / drug-abuse).

If the homeless problem is substantially solved, what is going to happen to all the full-time staff working for the homeless charities. The top three charities have over 1000 staff between them in Dublin alone. Will these people become the new homeless when they lose their jobs?

Roger_007 wrote: »
    If the homeless problem is substantially solved, what is going to happen to all the full-time staff working for the homeless charities. The top three charities have over 1000 staff between them in Dublin alone. Will these people become the new homeless when they lose their jobs?

I assume alot of these must be volunteers or part time students ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

I don't particularly mind the welfare increases. I was really hoping for some reform though. I would love to see a system where you get less the longer you are on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,715 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I don't particularly mind the welfare increases. I was really hoping for some reform though. I would love to see a system where you get less the longer you are on it.

That would surely work in dealing with the complex issues that lead to long term unemployment, wouldn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Yes it is the blanket increases that are the problem. We have JSA and JSB but don't make proper use of them.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    That would surely work in dealing with the complex issues that lead to long term unemployment, wouldn't it?

Is it better to just ignore them and hope it gets better?

naughtb4 wrote:
    Is it better to just ignore them and hope it gets better?

Our most common tactic, doesn't seem to be working though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,422 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Anyone got a link for that calculator?

Need to see if I can afford that Bentley yet..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

naughtb4 wrote: »
    I assume alot of these must be volunteers or part time students ?

These would be paid, FTE and most of them actually FT. The volunteers are on top.

There will always be a need for something in that sector - there will always be rough sleepers even if there are sufficient beds and the last cases around will be some of the most difficult ones to resolve needing the most effort. There'll always be hostels, there'll always be people needing assistance in living in conventional housing post-hostel or institutional living, etc.

So even if we suddenly found we'd built a new 30,000 unit town outside Dublin and forgotten about it; the staff wouldn't be all redundant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,422 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Roger_007 wrote: »

say what?

Is that not one member of staff for every person sleeping rough?

Yes.

Yes.

It would hardly lead to a rise in criminality, would it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

lawred2 wrote: »
    say what?

Charities are one of the biggest cons going in this state..

Because the Irish are so flucking gullible they're a licence to print money..

• Advertisement

Rennaws wrote:

Banks have the biggest licence to print money

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

Rennaws wrote: »
    Charities are one of the biggest cons going in this state..

Totally agree that some are. Not all though.
    I worked for one years ago, lasts about 3 weeks before I left as the money they pulled in was unreal. It was more than what actually went to the charity.

Worked for another one after that for a couple of months, these were a lot better and were only taking in about 20% for themselves. Still not right but it was much better.

Could do.

Has this actually been tried anywhere?

I see this mentioned a few times and I can see the logic in it, but wondering has it actually happened

Could do.

So this is a proactive way of dealing with these complex issues, and what about the victims of these crimes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭enricoh

What is the ratio of spending increases to tax cuts? Thought it was meant to be 2-1, doesn't seem like it

naughtb4 wrote:
    Has this actually been tried anywhere?

It's already occurring here, you ll find that both long term unemployed and criminal populations suffer with the same or similar issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

lawred2 wrote: »
    say what?

Its vastly more than the number of people sleeping rough - 110 in Dublin in March and definitely not another 800+ outside Dublin.

Can't find a decent figure for the number in hostels though; which are quite staffing intensive - security, cleaning, catering if they offer it and so on as well as admin. It's not going to be a low figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

After the third budget rlike this I think everyone here has lost the ability to describe FG as a 'right wing' party or 'blueshirts' when talking about any economic aspect. That budget may aswell have been a labour one

• Advertisement

It's already occurring here, you ll find that both long term unemployed and criminal populations suffer with the same or similar issues

But that doesn't prove that reforming social welfare would lead to more criminality

Advertisement