Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One month ban

Options
  • 05-10-2018 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭

Dear FreudianSlippers,

You have been banned from Politics for one month for personal abuse.

This site is for civil discussion and so we don't allow discussion to descend into name calling and petty abuse.

Please see the Boards.ie FAQ for more details.

If you wish to appeal this ban you can see details on how to do so here.

Baron de Charlus

Your post:
    A lot of companies looked at this tender and in the end none of them went for it (IIRC the last group backed out late in the day) - that only leaves the explanation that the cost-benefit is bad.

It's irrelevant to even have this conversation with Matt though, as he's a staunch communist who believes that the state should do everything themselves and companies should act out of the kindness of their hearts.

I have to admit, I'm a bit baffled by this one but not surprised at who did the banning.

Anyone who spends even a modicum of time actually engaging in the politics forum or reading the user Matt Barrett's posts in politics, let alone the post to which I was replying in the context of the topic at hand (specifically there are a multitude of posts which this user attacks the private market in terms of house building, does not accept that the private market has any place in construction of homes, is against state subsidisation of private enterprise, has on multiple occasions stated that the only solution for the housing crisis is state-built and state-owned property on a large scale, has stated in effect that they do not believe in supply/demand model capitalism, I could go on...) would be acutely aware that Matt Barrett espouses the ideals of communism and/or communist-adjacent ideals as a fundamental tenant of life.

Therefore, calling someone who preaches communist ideals a "communist" is not "personal abuse" in any way shape or form. Furthermore, it was certainly not intended to be put forth as an abusive comment; perhaps this user actually is a member of the communist party of Ireland? If this is "abuse" then I welcome the banning of 80% of the posters on the forum for calling each-other "FFers" "Blue-shirts" "shinners" "neo-liberals" "liberal" "conservative" "republican" etc. I've seen multiple forms of this "abuse" today alone.

If, subjectively even, this moderator takes great personal insult from the mere concept of being called a communist this is card-level "abuse" (which I absolutely deny was the intent of the statement) at best... I'd still be appealing a card on this btw.

Sorry - should say I PM'd the mod in question already.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thanks for adding that you have PM’d the mod. What response have you received?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

The mod in question has been keen to ban me for a long time - they are responsible for the majority of my cards/bans (most of which are quite historic at this stage) so they have been unsympathetic to my assertion that this was not meant to be a personal attack.

They have invited me to take this here as they know it is likely to be upheld.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I’m not going to get into the details. Instead I’ll ask a CMod to review now as per the process. Please either post your PM conversation here, or have it ready to share with the CMod.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Hi FS
    I will take a look at this.
    Could you forward me the PMs please?

Thanks

I have received the PMs, thanks. Please bear with me and I will review

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    I have received the PMs, thanks. Please bear with me and I will review
    Thanks bluewolf - no major rush on this; it's principle over anything else really given I know it was not my intent to be personally abusive by use of this word/description.

Hi FS,
    this is just an update to say i am looking into this still and thanks for your patience. The last week ran away from me irl.

thanks

No problem - in the same boat!

Hi FS,

So i have reviewed the post, the thread, and discussed this with the mods. I've also reviewed some of your post history.

I can understand the idea that communist is a description and if it was just that, i wouldn't call it an insult. But as the mod pointed out, the whole paragraph was just to have a go at the poster. It did not add anything to the discussion, it was not constructive, it was not relevant. Saying it is pointless to have a discussion with another poster because they are -x- is certainly getting personal regardless of whatever x is, communist, spoofer, etc.
    I also feel it fell under the pyramid section in the charter 'attacks the characteristics or authority of the writer'.

In terms of the ban length, it looks like a standard escalation of previous mod actions for similar reasons, which is why it wasn't e.g. a red card instead of a ban.

Overall I will have to uphold this ban.

If you would like an admin review, please let us know.
    thanks

That's fine, unfortunate that intent is not considered here at all nor is the context of Matt's other posts both in the thread and the forum in general. Will be back when I'm permabanned by this mod for putting the smallest foot wrong in the future.

Can I also ask how long card/ban history is considered? Cards "expire" but this is not taken into consideration. My ban escalation is from years ago which also seems odd.

If I go a year without so much as a card, suddenly the next minor infraction is a ban? I'm not saying this is the case for this particular ban, but it certainly was for the one that lead to this length.

• Advertisement

The history i considered was all from this year. There was a warning and infraction in april, and the bans have been since then.
    There was a one week ban in May, a 2 week ban in July.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement