Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving home December from Toronto 5 months pregnant!!

Options
  • 05-10-2018 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi Everyone,
    Myself and my husband have lived in Toronto for 6 years, we decided to move home this December and then found out afterwards that we were expecting. We had paid for flights and everything so we have decided to still move home.....kind of crazy!.
    I am trying to find out if I am able to use public maternity care. I was told that I may have to pay because I haven't paid tax in the last year but I am an Irish citizen. Has anyone been in this situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

My brother moved home from The States when his wife was 20 weeks pregnant with their second, she’s due next week! They had no problems with entitlement, it’s open to everyone who is “ordinarily resident” in Ireland I.e intends to stay here for one year or more etc

They were asked for proof of address etc but nothing further then that!

Oh and congrats on the baba and the move! My brother & sister in law haven’t looked back and we’re dleihhted to have them and my nephew home, especially now they’ve another one coming soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 caveatemptor1

I recently moved home from the US and was 8 weeks pregnant when we arrived here. No issues with qualifying for the public maternity system, just picked a GP and went from there - she did all the work.
    One thing I would highlight though is you will not be entitled to claim Maternity Benefit as you will have had to have been paying contributions for 39 weeks in the previous 12 months before giving birth. I have queried at length about partial payments or the ability to make extra contributions as I will be just short but there is no leeway. So while you can still take Mat Leave (If you do get a job before you have the baby) you wont get any payments from the government during that time.
    Hope that helps!

Advertisement