Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What PCI card takes RCA to hook up VCR to PC?

Options
  • 05-10-2018 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭

Have a REALLY old Hauppauge card, which has support for WindowsXP, Windows98SE, WindowsMe and Windows2000. It sort of works on the family Win7 PC. Currently, it's VCR, scart cable to a scart-to-RCA adapter, and the Hauppauge card takes RCA.

But need to hook up the VCR to my newer Win10 machine, and thus wondering what PCI card that I can use to take in said RCA? Have seen some RCA-to-USB gadgets, but the last one I used only had Vista drivers, and thus didn't work.

Has anyone had success in hooking a VCR to a Windows 10 computer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What you're talking about is Composite Video, RCA is the connector.

Ive got an obsolete FW unit to do such rips so no personal advice but you shouldnt need to bother with PCI(E) as the bandwidth of analogue video is quite low. This comes top of a google search, is well reviewed, and apparently even works with linux.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/External-USB-Video-Capture-Card/dp/B008F0SARC

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

ED E wrote: »

Ive got an obsolete FW unit to do such rips so no personal advice but you shouldnt need to bother with PCI(E) as the bandwidth of analogue video is quite low. This comes top of a google search, is well reviewed, and apparently even works with linux.

I still use (intermittently) an old (Lidl) Silvercrest VG2000 Video Grabber.
    Yes it too works in Linux.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I had very poor results with the USB type converters and poor video quality and if I am not mistaken using fire-wire was historically the best way (from what I remember getting old camcorder to PC).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

BailMeOut wrote: »
    I had very poor results with the USB type converters and poor video quality and if I am not mistaken using fire-wire was historically the best way (from what I remember getting old camcorder to PC).

Don't think you can use firewire from a VCR though (unless there's a scart/RCA to firewire to USB)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

mordeith wrote: »
    Don't think you can use firewire from a VCR though (unless there's a scart/RCA to firewire to USB)

yep - you do need extra bits but fire-wire was historically a great way to xfer video. Have not however seen fire-wire in a long time.

If doing USB I'd imagine USB3.0 would be the way to go if you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

BailMeOut wrote: »

You would be right in 2005, not today.

Firewire beat out USB1.1, USB2.0 sorted most of the issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Surprisingly, Hauppauge has a driver that works with the hardware and Windows 10; http://hauppauge.co.uk/site/support/support_all.html?prod=34
    After installing it, Device Manager recognised the hardware. Shall see later how successful it is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭thesultan

:p
    ED E wrote: »

My vcr player doesn't have the three insert leads that work the capture card. There is another one which has a scart converter which adapts the three pin.. Would it work the small principal?

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

the_syco wrote: »
    Have a REALLY old Hauppauge card, which has support for WindowsXP, Windows98SE, WindowsMe and Windows2000. It sort of works on the family Win7 PC. Currently, it's VCR, scart cable to a scart-to-RCA adapter, and the Hauppauge card takes RCA.

But need to hook up the VCR to my newer Win10 machine, and thus wondering what PCI card that I can use to take in said RCA? Have seen some RCA-to-USB gadgets, but the last one I used only had Vista drivers, and thus didn't work.

Has anyone had success in hooking a VCR to a Windows 10 computer?
    Those Hauppauge cards were nice...
    Today I use a USB 2.0 analog tuner.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-VHS-to-DVD-Converter-adapter-USB-2-0-to-3-RCA-Video-TV-DVD-VHS-Capture-Phone/202430731155?hash=item2f21cfd393:g:hOsAAOSw4M9bk-fd
    It works like a webcam, you can open the stream in VLC player.
    It's not good for gaming because there's about half a second of latency, but for a VCR it's OK.
    It's plug and play both in Windows and Linux, no need to install drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've had to digitise a number of VHS cassettes recently - all camcorder footage, no Macrovision to deal with

I found the best quality method, weirdly, was to use one of the few VCR+DVDR decks that existed to dub the VHS to DVD and then take that digital format in to the PC. The hardware is designed from the ground up to handle analogue PAL video to a high quality, better than any capture card I've ever used

Mutiple retro youtubers use composite->HDMI convertors or even the video engines from old plasma TVs to get good upscaling and intake using actual TV hardware - this provides it in the same box as the VHS.

I've a JVC DVD-RAM unit that seems to have a surreal resale value likely due to the -RAM function - >200 euro - but there are other brands without the same overpricing.

• Advertisement

I have a dvd combi but two have broke and can't find parts for yet. I'm trying to use the devices above to see if the work. There is a clip on YouTube that has a three lead adapter going into the vcr to see if it's works. Now the vcr I have doesn't have that but they is a plug adapter that works the same principle. Now to see if the vcr work

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I am looking for a good Video Cassette Player ....... used but in good condition, that won't chew up some old and personally valuable (memories) tapes. If it has a digital output even better.

I have been very hesitant to buy on line as ye never really know until it might be too late, that you were sold a dog of a machine.

Maybe a professional service is what I should engage .....

Advice on targa dvd vcr combi. Any good reviews?

Advertisement