Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Request for Photo ID and Address Proof

Options
  • 06-10-2018 8:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I received an email in September, which I originally thought was spam, asking me for a copy of photo ID and proof of address. Turned out the email was legitimate but I have spoken to numerous other customers of Bank of Ireland and other banks and none have had this information requested. May I ask what is the purpose of the request and why it isn't all customers? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Jennifer

Patww79 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I received an email in September, which I originally thought was spam, asking me for a copy of photo ID and proof of address. Turned out the email was legitimate but I have spoken to numerous other customers of Bank of Ireland and other banks and none have had this information requested. May I ask what is the purpose of the request and why it isn't all customers? Thanks.

Hi Patww79,

Thanks for reaching out to us here. As part of GDPR we are reaching out to some of our customers to get updated and most recent identification documentation. These emails and texts are sent to customers who may not have provided us with up to date documentation in recent years. We do have a designated call team for this if you would like further information or have any further questions you can contact the team on 0818 200 339 and one of our advisors will be more than happy to discuss this with you.

Thanks Jen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Hi Patww79,

Thanks for reaching out to us here. As part of GDPR we are reaching out to some of our customers to get updated and most recent identification documentation. These emails and texts are sent to customers who may not have provided us with up to date documentation in recent years. We do have a designated call team for this if you would like further information or have any further questions you can contact the team on 0818 200 339 and one of our advisors will be more than happy to discuss this with you.

Thanks Jen.

Thank you Jen. No that explains it fine and indeed I have not provided any information in recent years. I'll get the required documents sent in this coming week. Cheers.

Thank you Jen. No that explains it fine and indeed I have not provided any information in recent years. I'll get the required documents sent in this coming week. Cheers.

Happy to help where possible. If you do have any doubts regarding any emails you receive in this regard i would ask that you forward them to 365security@boi.com and one of our advisors can confirm this for you.

Thanks Jen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Happy to help where possible. If you do have any doubts regarding any emails you receive in this regard i would ask that you forward them to 365security@boi.com and one of our advisors can confirm this for you.

Thanks Jen.

Yep I'd originally sent it to that email to check if it was legitimate after being advised to here, and they confirmed it was, but had been just wondering when nobody else had been asked. Thanks for confirming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

I'm in the same situation and also sent the message to the bank for verification. I'm a bit annoyed about it...
    (1) If there was ever a good time to use snali-mail it's for sending communications about this sort of thing, but these days the only thing it seems to be used for is advertising!
    (2) If the request had provided an option to upload through my 365 Online account I would feel comfortable to do it online, but as this is not the case I will try to get into my local branch some time instead. 
    (3) Also, I think that if the requirement had been publicised in the media it would have helped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Lorna

Hi nomdeboardie,

Thanks for getting in touch.

We're grateful to you for highlighting your concerns here with us in relation to the options available to supply your ID documents. We'll certainly pass this on to our Communication and Development Team.

We appreciate the time you are taking to visit a Branch with your documents.

We do like the suggestions you have made, we will be escalating these on.

Thanks,

Lorna

• Registered Users Posts: 3 davef999

I can not see how this request is to do with GDPR - isn't GDPR to do with data protection, and you guys respecting our contact preference wishes?  I can't see how me providing ID will help in terms of the GDPR angle.  Can I ask what would happen if this ID is not provided?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

davef999 wrote: »
    I can not see how this request is to do with GDPR - isn't GDPR to do with data protection, and you guys respecting our contact preference wishes?  I can't see how me providing ID will help in terms of the GDPR angle.  Can I ask what would happen if this ID is not provided?

Hi davef999

Thanks for you post here today.

The ID is a banking requirement related to Irish and EU Law, sorry for the previous reference to GDPR.

If you're unable to provide the ID required, we would ask you to call our Helpline on 0818 200 339. 

Many Thanks
    Alison

Thanks for replying to my comment above.

I have a question/questions now, though:
    It is required that photo ID be in-date, but I have just discovered that my passport expired a short while ago. In addition, my driving licence, though valid to age 70, is an old-style UK document with no photo. The only other applicable item I have from the list of acceptable ones is a birth cert - but that obviously doesn't have a photo, so why is it even on the list? Or, for that matter, why does a passport have to be in-date?...while it's true the person it describes could have died since issue, that would also have been true at any time between issuance and expiry! What am I supposed to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

Thanks for replying to my comment above.

I have a question/questions now, though:
    It is required that photo ID be in-date, but I have just discovered that my passport expired a short while ago. In addition, my driving licence, though valid to age 70, is an old-style UK document with no photo. The only other applicable item I have from the list of acceptable ones is a birth cert - but that obviously doesn't have a photo, so why is it even on the list? Or, for that matter, why does a passport have to be in-date?...while it's true the person it describes could have died since issue, that would also have been true at any time between issuance and expiry! What am I supposed to do?
    Hi there, 

Thanks for getting in touch with us here. 

In this case I'd ask you to call us on 0818 200 399 (or 0035312500399 if you're abroad) and the advisers there will be more than happy to take your details and confirm what options are available to you in relation to this. 
    Thanks again, 
    Darren.

• Advertisement

OK, thanks for the reply Darren

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I too got one of these letters but I've misplaced it. IIRC there was a link to where I could upload the docs online but I can't seem to find any reference to it on BOI's site. Do you guys have the link? 

Scotty # wrote: »
    I too got one of these letters but I've misplaced it. IIRC there was a link to where I could upload the docs online but I can't seem to find any reference to it on BOI's site. Do you guys have the link? 
    www.bankofireland.com/MyID   (which switches to    https://form.bankofireland.com/customer-data-upload/   when you enter it) is what I was sent.
    (You many want to wait for a BoI rep to confirm that this)

Scotty # wrote: »

Hi Scotty #,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards.

[font=Calibri","sans-serif]We are currently requesting up to date Photo ID and proof of address from our customers as per Irish and EU law. These requests are being sent by email and post. For more information and to upload your documentation please see here or alternatively please call our Customer Contact Team on 0818 200 399 for further assistance. We would ask that you have your reference number to hand when uploading your documentation.[/font]

Thanks Jen

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭allanpkr

Hi,

Hi Patww79,

Thanks Jen.
    hi, 
               when i try to enter onto upload hub . get message  " page cant be found"   .help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

allanpkr wrote: »
    hi, 
               when i try to enter onto upload hub . get message  " page cant be found"   .help
    Working fine here. 

allanpkr wrote: »
    Hi,

Hi Patww79,

Thanks Jen.
    hi,
    when i try to enter onto upload hub . get message " page cant be found" .help

Hi there,

Thanks for the message.
    I've given a link here that you should be able to use to upload this documentation. Please let me know if this works for you.

Thanks again,
    Darren.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

This whole thing is a disgrace for multiple reasons.

First of all, the mail is almost indistinguishable from a phishing scam. The following is from an mail I received a short time ago from 365security@boi.com:

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]"If you did get an email or a text message that you weren't expecting, you shouldn't click on a link or reply with confidential information - even if the email or text looks like it has come from Bank of Ireland or from another company that you recognise."[/font]

Read that a few times and then ask yourself why anyone who has read this advice would follow the link in your mail and upload confidential information.

Even ignoring the very clear BOI guidance above, the mail looks very dodgy. It contains references to five different domains (bankofireland.com, boimail.com, which50-email.com, customerminds.com, boi.com) and the link that people are invited to follow goes to one of the least convincing domain of the lot. Consider this in light of your own FAQ "How do I identify a fake email?" on 365online.com and again ask yourself why any recipient of the mail should give it any credence whatsoever?

The second issue I have with this mail campaign is that the language is (deliberately?) ambiguous about the consequences of not following the direction in the mail. The sender says that he would "appreciate" our cooperation but it is not clear what happens if we don't comply. I'm not keen on the idea of big companies collecting my PII for no good reason. We are entitled to be told clearly (a) if we are obligated to comply and (b) what are the consequences of non-compliance.

cantalach wrote: »
    This whole thing is a disgrace for multiple reasons.

First of all, the mail is almost indistinguishable from a phishing scam. The following is from an mail I received a short time ago from 365security@boi.com:

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]"If you did get an email or a text message that you weren't expecting, you shouldn't click on a link or reply with confidential information - even if the email or text looks like it has come from Bank of Ireland or from another company that you recognise."[/font]

Read that a few times and then ask yourself why anyone who has read this advice would follow the link in your mail and upload confidential information.

Even ignoring the very clear BOI guidance above, the mail looks very dodgy. It contains references to five different domains (bankofireland.com, boimail.com, which50-email.com, customerminds.com, boi.com) and the link that people are invited to follow goes to one of the least convincing domain of the lot. Consider this in light of your own FAQ "How do I identify a fake email?" on 365online.com and again ask yourself why any recipient of the mail should give it any credence whatsoever?

The second issue I have with this mail campaign is that the language is (deliberately?) ambiguous about the consequences of not following the direction in the mail. The sender says that he would "appreciate" our cooperation but it is not clear what happens if we don't comply. I'm not keen on the idea of big companies collecting my PII for no good reason. We are entitled to be told clearly (a) if we are obligated to comply and (b) what are the consequences of non-compliance.

Hi cantalach,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here and for the feedback.
    If you're ever unsure of any email or text message that you receive please don't hesitate in getting in touch with us here (or on any of our customer care channels) and we'll be happy to confirm if the specific message you received is legitimate.
    We would be obliged to keep the ID documentation for all of our customers up to date and current. This is a requirement under the Criminal Justice (Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing) Acts 2010 and 2013 and would apply to all financial institutions.
    If you contact our team on 0818200399 (or 0035312500399 if you're abroad) and the advisers there will be able to take of your account details and confirm specifically why this has been asked on your account and what the consequences of not producing this documentation would be in relation to your account.
    Thanks again,
    Darren.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

If you're ever unsure of any email or text message that you receive please don't hesitate in getting in touch with us here (or on any of our customer care channels) and we'll be happy to confirm if the specific message you received is legitimate.
    You've completely missed the point I was making. I know this was a legitimate BOI mail - I work in cybersecurity. My point is that it looks like a phishing mail. You absolutely shouldn't be sending mails that look like phishing because it undermines your own advice. Again, that advice reads (emphasis mine):

"If you did get an email or a text message that you weren't expecting, you shouldn't click on a link or reply with confidential information - even if the email or text looks like it has come from Bank of Ireland or from another company that you recognise."

Think about it. The mail you sent was unexpected, it looked like it came from BOI, and it asked recipients to click on a link and supply confidential information. It was a perfect match for the scenario that you advise people against! Surely you can see how utterly idiotic that is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Iompair

I'd also like to chime in agreeing with cantalach.

The whole thing has a massive air of scam about it and while easy to resolve is just training your customers to blindly click any link purporting to be from Bank of Ireland.

Why is this not done internally in banking365??

Very poor setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Thanks Iompair for joining the thread.

We will certainly pass on your suggestions to the Team and we appreciate the time taken to share your views and ideas with us.

Alison

Advertisement