Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Johnstown Park, Griffith Rd, Ballygall,

Options
  • 06-10-2018 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi, last time I asked here about the area I got very vital information. Unfortunately, we got outbid so we back to square one.

Out current focus is in the border of Glasnevin and Finglas south side of Johnstown park. Few questions.

Is that area safe and suitable to start a family?
    Are the local schools any good?
    How easy is to get to town using public transport?
    Any opinions on the Fairways Park estate?

Once again, thank you all in advance for all your help.

Bart

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Saints#33

I grew up in Ballygall. Family home still there on Crescent. Certain areas are fine, but they are literally rows of a dozen houses or so.

Most of the place is an absolute dive now. Anywhere near the redbrick council houses look like Eastern Europe.

The top parts of the Crescent and top corner of the parade are lovely, but we declined moving there as we viewed 8 houses one Sat last month and 2 separate pit bulls were running around and a pony was trotting down the bottom of the parade.

Glasnaon road is lovely if you can stretch to it.

Schools are absolutely great, just watch who you're kids mingle with. My family went to Beneavin and everyone's done okay for ourselves. My little brother went to primary school and he's done great, so no complaints about the schools.

Public transport is fine, 83 is frequent enough and the 140 is a short walk away.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Fairways estate is nice. It would be known as a nice estate down there. A little tight for parking etc but that’s the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭borus22222

kceire wrote: »
    Fairways estate is nice. It would be known as a nice estate down there. A little tight for parking etc but that’s the norm.

Opinions on local schools?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

borus22222 wrote: »
    Opinions on local schools?

One of mine go to sacred heart and the other is only 3 so not in school yet.
    I went to de la sale on glasanaon road despite living in Finglas west.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 kmfrob

We live on Glasanaon Road (towards the bottom of the road) and I'd highly recommend it. We've been here three years now and at not one point have we regretted the move. The houses are well built, and if you ask me, quite attractive.

You have the park on your doorstep and all the nice bits of Glasnevin just a short walk away. The shops on Fitzmaurice road are handy and you can get a good range of stuff there. If you need more, you can walk/drive to SuperValu in Finglas village or the Tesco at Clearwater or Santry.

Buses are good and are going to become even more frequent with Bus Connect (although that will mean increased traffic on the road which isn't ideal).

We've put our baby's name down at the two educate togethers in the area and both of them have a good reputation. I think the other primary schools in the area are also a decent quality and the girl's secondary school in Glasnevin seems to have good kids.

As another poster said, some of the estates up into Ballygall proper seem a bit rough around the edges, but I've never had cause to walk through there so I couldn't really say one way or the other how bad they are. The only one thing I would say about the area (including Glasanaon Road) is that you do get a lot of kids walking up and down it in bug groups on weekend evenings. They are never threatening (they seem more concerned in impressing the girls/boys they fancy), but they can be loud. There have may be been a couple of fights in the past few years, but they were over before they began and it's certainly less prevalent than it was in Dublin 7 where we were previously. Either way, the road is a passage rather than an end point so they rarely stay for long.

But anyway, that aside, I highly recommend the area. If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭borus22222

We are SALE AGREED now so hopefully, we will be neighbours soon. Would you recommend any nursery/ creche in the area? We are due end of Aprli :)

Thank you for all your responses.

Advertisement