Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So how much money is enough

• 06-10-2018 11:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭

Was having a browse through one of the recent dole bashing threads on here that set me to thinking. How much money a year would be enough for you, or is there ever enough?

For me personally if I myself and the missus got to 70 k a year each I think that'd be more than comfortable with current mortgage etc. Kids are planned but not just yet so not really sure of the financial impact there. We are a ways off 70k each yet but getting there slowly I think.

So what say ye, how much dosh to make you happy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

bout tree fiddy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Kids are planned but not just yet so not really sure of the financial impact there.

A lot!

Re how much is enough ? I refer you to Charles Dickens quote, a man who had experiences of both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

A lot!

Re how much is enough ? I refer you to Charles Dickens quote, a man who had experiences of both.

They can't just live on love no? Needy bastards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Employers should be forced to pay each worker according to their needs. 20K a year for a single person 5 minutes from the work place, living rent free with their parents.

80K for a person doing the same job commuting 2 hours a day, paying 1000 a month mortgage, and supporting a stay at home spouse and 4 children.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Employers should be forced to pay each worker according to their needs. 20K a year for a single person 5 minutes from the work place, living rent free with their parents.

80K for a person doing the same job commuting 2 hours a day, paying 1000 a month mortgage, and supporting a stay at home spouse and 4 children.

Well that's stupid. People should get more for popping out kids and getting mortgages they can't afford? Behave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Personal choices don't matter. Why should someone be punished cos you have 4 kids

I'm just outlining what is a living wage, in other words enough money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

As long as we have one cent more than we need its enough . The big question is what exactly do we need ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Depends where you live. €140k between a couple in places like Limerick, Sligo or Meath and you could live like kings. That kind of dough in Dublin and you're looking at a semi-d in the suburbs.

Problem is you (mostly) have to working in Dublin to pull in that kind of cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

As long as your next door neighbour has more windows in his house then nothing will ever be enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I fully endorse this. Now I'm going to get myself a €2m mansion that my employer can pay for. Excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

€198 a week is all a person needs to live the high life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

Insane. Maybe dont have 4 kids unless you earn >€80k pa if thats how much it costs to raise them would be more sensible?

Depends where you live. €140k between a couple in places like Limerick, Sligo or Meath and you could live like kings. That kind of dough in Dublin and you're looking at a semi-d in the suburbs.

Problem is you (mostly) have to working in Dublin to pull in that kind of cash.

I do find it a bit grim that you need to be in the top 5 % of earners to live an hour commute (on a good day) from the city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

So you employ just single people living 5 minutes away from the work and pay them peanuts for what they do. Brilliant, it would slash our wage bill quite a bit.

meeeeh wrote: »
    So you employ just single people living 5 minutes away from the work and pay them peanuts for what they do. Brilliant, it would slash our wage bill quite a bit.

What do people mean by Living Wage (enough money)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

What do people mean by Living Wage (enough money)?

https://www.livingwage.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Cian_ok

It used to be like this pre 1970s. Especially companies that had a marriage bar.
    If a man got married - he got a pay rise to support the wife. Similarly with kids.
    If a woman got married, she got a 'redundancy' payment. And had to stop working.

But feminism killed this. Equal pay for equal work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

If your on 60k, is it worth busting your balls to get to 80 or 90?

I feel like once you get to a certain number where you are comfortable, the only real difference to your life would be to get to the grossly rich level.

meeeeh wrote: »

In principle, a living wage is intended to establish an hourly wage rate that should provide employees with sufficient income to achieve an agreed acceptable minimum standard of living. In that sense it is an income floor; representing a figure which allows employees afford the essentials of life. Earnings below the living wage suggest employees are forced to do without certain essentials so they can make ends-meet.

My reading of that would mean the employer paying more to the person commuting and paying a mortgage, and less to the person living rent free beside the work place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

doylefe wrote: »

I feel like once you get to a certain number where you are comfortable, the only real difference to your life would be to get to the grossly rich level.

Depends. you are only getting ~48% of the increase anyway, so if a significant increase in workload or responsibility, its probably not worth it.

doylefe wrote: »

Suppose it depends what you want out of life. To some people pushing yourself to be as good professionally as you possibly can be is reward in itself. The increased salary that comes with it is a bonus sure, but for some it's more about the personal accomplishment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

In principle, a living wage is intended to establish an hourly wage rate that should provide employees with sufficient income to achieve an agreed acceptable minimum standard of living. In that sense it is an income floor; representing a figure which allows employees afford the essentials of life. Earnings below the living wage suggest employees are forced to do without certain essentials so they can make ends-meet.

My reading of that would mean the employer paying more to the person commuting and paying a mortgage, and less to the person living rent free beside the work place.

People should be paid based on what they do within working hours and nothing else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭rovertom

The op mentioned 70k each as a couple.
    That amounts to 900 per week each as a couple after tax. Not huge money after paying all the tax.

rovertom wrote: »
    That amounts to 900 per week each as a couple after tax. Not huge money after paying all the tax.

I would have thought it's a decent wedge all in. What would you consider huge money? Within reason. Obviously we'd all love to be on 500k a week but unfortunately we live in the real world.

Not sure where you're getting that from?

If they're both working and on 35k it's about 1200 a week.

If it's one bringing in all the money then yes it's around 900 a week. But that's assuming they're not married and getting extra tax credits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Extra tax credits for being married??? Do tell!

Patww79 wrote: »
    People should be paid based on what they do within working hours and nothing else.

Which renders the concept of a Living Wage as a nonsense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭rovertom

Cina wrote: »
    Not sure where you're getting that from?

If they're both working and on 35k it's about 1200 a week.

If it's one bringing in all the money then yes it's around 900 a week. But that's assuming they're not married and getting extra tax credits.

OP said 70k each not 35k each

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Difference between 30k and 60k?

1350 a month.

OP said 70k each not 35k each

Op here. To be clear my target (that I completely picked out of the sky) is 70k each. So 140 k in total a year.

Op here. To be clear my target (that I completely picked out of the sky) is 70k each. So 140 k in total a year.

Apologies, so you did.

1,400 a week or 6,600 a month is plenty of money for a couple, though, so I don't get your argument.

Cina wrote: »
    Apologies, so you did.

1,400 a week or 6,600 a month is plenty of money for a couple, though, so I don't get your argument.

I'm not attempting to argue anything. Just asking what other people would consider enough.

If you were able to get that as an individual, you would be in the top 1%.

If you were able to get that as an individual, you would be in the top 1%.

Yup. But still not be able to afford a gaf less than an hour from work. Class

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

One-million-dollars-wmcs0v.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Stop working on the moon then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭daheff

Change where you work?

It’s the whole demand & supply thing. Price goes up to the highest level where the market can support it. I guess you work in the city centre ....like a lotta people....who would all like to live in the homes near by. But there’s only so many, so those with more money offer more to live there. If everybody had more money the problem would still be the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

In current location and at current prices I think about €80k a year total family income would do it. Could afford a nice home comfortably, all home related expenses, nice holiday and couple of short breaks a year and a few bob towards the pension. For Dublin I'd have no idea, could the ordinary person actually get ahead there now with the way prices are going?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Nothing is ever enough... Because your lifestyle adapts to match what you earn.

My income is 4 times what it was 10 years ago, I don't necessarily feel better off but of course I am. If I had to go back to how I lived 10 years ago overnight it would be a huge shock. Because you slowly adapt to additional income over years it is less noticable how much better off you are.

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »
    Nothing is ever enough... Because your lifestyle adapts to match what you earn.

My income is 4 times what it was 10 years ago, I don't necessarily feel better off but of course I am. If I had to go back to how I lived 10 years ago overnight it would be a huge shock. Because you slowly adapt to additional income over years it is less noticable how much better off you are.

Yeh that's how I feel like things are going alright. I earn about 4 times more than I did 3 years ago (was on a ****ty educational stipend), and I actually pay less in my mortgage than I was paying in rent then and I still feel like it's not enough. Life's strange. Think I jsut need to learn to be happy as I am and not constantly strive for more money. As you say it'll never be enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Yeh that's how I feel like things are going alright. I earn about 4 times more than I did 3 years ago (was on a ****ty educational stipend), and I actually pay less in my mortgage than I was paying in rent then and I still feel like it's not enough. Life's strange. Think I jsut need to learn to be happy as I am and not constantly strive for more money. As you say it'll never be enough.

Always strive to earn more and do better... We live in a capitalist world after all. Just don't base your life happiness on it.

Advertisement