Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't watch EIR SPORTS on browser on MAC!!! new customer

• 06-10-2018 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Just got the Eir broadband service specifically for the Eir Sports pack. Just discovered that because SIlverlight is not supported on a MAC it will not work!!!

There must be a work around for this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭lionmqj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

David_BNC wrote: »
    Just got the Eir broadband service specifically for the Eir Sports pack. Just discovered that because SIlverlight is not supported on a MAC it will not work!!!

Hi David _BNC, 

Unfortunately there is no way around this, this is due to a safari update to V12 on the 17th of September. 

I'm sorry it's not better news, I understand this is frustrating. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

David_BNC wrote: »

Hi David _BNC, 

Unfortunately there is no way around this, this is due to a safari update to V12 on the 17th of September. 

I'm sorry it's not better news, I understand this is frustrating. 

Thanks 

Tracey 
    Ye could try using some current platforms, silverlight was deprecated in 2013 and ye really should not be using it anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭TCPIP

Any chance this might be fixed lads? This is the only reason I joined Eir and I'll happily break my contract over it. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

TCPIP wrote: »
    Any chance this might be fixed lads? This is the only reason I joined Eir and I'll happily break my contract over it. 
    This won't be fixed for a very long time. They would have to remake the whole website. 

Check this out from over a year ago
    https://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/103139182
    Not too convincing is it?

Eir really needs to stop blaming the developers of web browsers as they are only just following best practice of removing insecure and obsolete extensions. 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Agree with others silver light is outdated and can be difficult to get working in Windows at the best of times, let alone trying Mac/Linux

You don't want silverlight running on your browser as it can be used by a website to run malicious code on your machine.
    Almost everyone else has moved to html5 which does a much better job at streaming video.
    Eir just doesn't think it's worth the investment to hire a few coders to bring their service up to date. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Eir Reps, Is there any chance this will be fixed? 

I know, I know, my feedback will be passed on etc. etc. etc. but a real answer would be nice.

Eir Reps, Is there any chance this will be fixed? 

I know, I know, my feedback will be passed on etc. etc. etc. but a real answer would be nice.
    It's not really that it has to be fixed but the whole website for sports has to be remade. This will involve hiring a team of programmers to do the work and a testing phase will follow which could take a long time.
    Should have been done years ago so don't expect any updates. 

My guess is they are not bothered spending the money to do this and work hasn't even started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Because I use Linux I have had this problem from the outset.
    So I decided to buy an Android box to run the eir app.
    Unfortunately there are no guidelines about what Android box will work for this.
    I tried getting info from eir but nothing doing.
    I bought two Android boxes but both failed.

So the only way of reliably receiving the sports channels that I have found so far, is to use a Sky +HD STB with a Sky card enabled for the purpose.

Even if eir dropped the requirement for a Sky STB and permitted any STB with a card slot to be used it would make things a heck of a lot easier for a large number of customers.

Obviously eir have no interest at all in providing this sports service to their customers in easily accessible formats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 connman

Any update to this Eir? I subscribed to Eir mainly for Eirsport pack. I don't have a TV, but assumed I'd be able to watch in my Mac browser.

Installed Firefox V51 but still get the same "browser not supported" error.

Have Eir just decided that Mac will never be supported by Eirsport? That's insane.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

If you need it that bad on Mac just spin up a VM running windows install silver light and away you go problem solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,639 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Could you install a mini windows on a virtualbox vm? Just for watching eir?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Unfortunately there are no guidelines about what Android box will work for this.

So the only way of reliably receiving the sports channels that I have found so far, is to use a Sky +HD STB with a Sky card enabled for the purpose.

Even if eir dropped the requirement for a Sky STB and permitted any STB with a card slot to be used it would make things a heck of a lot easier for a large number of customers.

Obviously eir have no interest at all in providing this sports service to their customers in easily accessible formats.
    Guys, I'm tempted to switch my broadband to Eir to avail of the 12 months @ 39.99. I subscribe to Eir sports through Sky and Eir say I can have it for free saving me 22.99 per month but I am nervous/reluctant to switch as I have visions of the whole thing going pear shaped. I only want to watch the sports through my tv/sky box not on mobile or tablet. Should I worry ????

Guys, I'm tempted to switch my broadband to Eir to avail of the 12 months @ 39.99. I subscribe to Eir sports through Sky and Eir say I can have it for free saving me 22.99 per month but I am nervous/reluctant to switch as I have visions of the whole thing going pear shaped. I only want to watch the sports through my tv/sky box not on mobile or tablet. Should I worry ????
    No hassle with Sky box. I have the eir broadband/phone package and I'm watching the eir sports and BT sports channels ever since on the sky box. Once you're signed up you go to the eir website and log in and then they have a page where you enter your sky card viewing number and bingo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

No hassle with Sky box. I have the eir broadband/phone package and I'm watching the eir sports and BT sports channels ever since on the sky box. Once you're signed up you go to the eir website and log in and then they have a page where you enter your sky card viewing number and bingo.
    I have since heard that Eir only have the sports channels until August next, it seems they were outbid for the new contract. I really think that they should mention this when trying to attract new customers on their 39.99 plan which included free Eir Sports.

I have since heard that Eir only have the sports channels until August next, it seems they were outbid for the new contract. I really think that they should mention this when trying to attract new customers on their 39.99 plan which included free Eir Sports.
    Thanks must check on that when my contract runs out in April. This BT thing is really great especially for Saturday night games and champions league. The eir channels I could take or leave, the odd hockey game...

Advertisement