Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two phones....one address.

Options
  • 06-10-2018 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

My wife upgraded her phone yesterday, and I transferred all her data, somewhere along the line I used my email address to access Google etc. Now she's receiving all my emails and we're sharing YouTube searches. How can I separate her phone from mine? Do I close my Google account and start again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Is it an Android, iPhone, or Windows phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭tony glenn

dilallio wrote: »
    Is it an Android, iPhone, or Windows phone?

Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Go into Settings and Accounts.
    Scroll to the bottom and add her google account.
    Then go back to the Accounts page, click Google, and from there, remove your Google account.

tony glenn wrote: »
    My wife upgraded her phone yesterday, and I transferred all her data, somewhere along the line I used my email address to access Google etc. Now she's receiving all my emails and we're sharing YouTube searches. How can I separate her phone from mine? Do I close my Google account and start again?

If I closed my Google account, then re-opened it on MY phone, would it then automatically reappear on my wife's phone, or is it linked to my phone number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Android.

Has she her own Google account? Go to accounts -> Google and sign in on hers, then go to your account and remove it

• Advertisement

Has she her own Google account? Go to accounts -> Google and sign in on hers, then go to your account and remove it

No, she has no Google account, so maybe if I closed mine, and we individually started afresh, would that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

No, she has no Google account, so maybe if I closed mine, and we individually started afresh, would that work?

Do you still have her old phone with all the content on it?

If so sync that with her new account, then wipe the new phone and setup correctly with her account.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

You don't need to close your Google account. Just get her to create one and use that.

You've no need to close yours. She will have to factory reset to remove your account if she doesn't want to have her own Google account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

myaccount.google.com

You can remove authorised devices and services.

Then just change your Google password and her phone will be locked out.

Reset her phone and set it up with a new Google account.

You don't need to close your Google account but you may have copied over her contacts and even photo Library. There's really no way of untangling the data you imported into your account but she will no longer have access to your account once you've locked it down again.

Never ever sign into your Google account on someone else's device.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

She needs her own account.

Patww79 wrote: »

Not at all. You can use Android without one, it's opt in. But once you add one it requires a factory reset to remove the default account

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Not at all. You can use Android without one, it's opt in. But once you add one it requires a factory reset to remove the default account

It's pointless without one unless you're a real tinfoil hat merchant though.

It's pointless without one unless you're a real tinfoil hat merchant though.

Agreed it's a poor experience, but the option is there and they do exist (and are akin to flat earthers IMO)

Thanks all, now she has her own Google account, and I deleted mine from her phone. I sent myself a test email, and played a YouTube video on my home, neither appeared on her phone, so that seems to have sorted it.
    Again, thanks to all who took the time to assist.

Advertisement