Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A long road but my business is finally live!

Options
  • 06-10-2018 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

I am a regular enough poster here so thought I would ask you to take a look at my website and let me know what you think of it? It has taken a long long time to get this stage but so happy, and sort of proud, to finally be here!

In particular what do you think of its appearance, wording/text, mobile layout and page load speeds? Also any thoughts on the videos and how best to market the ShowerGem?

https://showergem.com/

Constructive opinions very much welcome!
    Taco

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What’s you target market ? Site seems very American focused. Change the dollar sign for Euro and use videos with different accents

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cart man

I think you are missing a key thing at the start - an introduction that says what the product is. You go straight to easy order then feature then benefit. I would swap that round and say 1/ what it is 2/ features 3/ benefits 4/ order.

The site is centered on a single product this will make it very difficult to expand the range and increase your offering. It may be better for you long term if you said Company A is a company that brings unique bathroom accessories/ products to market the first of which is shower gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭bren2002

Constructively the buy now landing page on my mobile (P10, Chrome) does not scroll down to the 2 products under the top 2. So I can only chose from the top 2 products.

Less constructively, that's a very expensive bit of plastic. Stylish yes, but expensive.

Have you considered the hospitality sector?
    Also as above, I think selling on amazon (FBA) is a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 RobinPearson

Looks like Impreza WP theme to me.... Worst - their diamond icon used in your business logo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I think the website is fine, but feel the product is massively overpriced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Thanks for the replies! Glad you like The ShowerGem. It was my father that actually created it and in fairness to him, he got it spot on. It is actually brilliant to use and once you have a ShowerGem you can never not have one again. The metal baskets really are that bad in comparison.

Will look at changing the fonts, favicons (I did not spot the white actually!) and double email address. Yep the voiceover is Fiverr. I went with that style as Ireland is way too small for me to make money so yep, primarily it is aimed at the US. Once I have a few sales I will get a voiceover for Ireland and the UK but need to get sales in first. Launching on Amazon in about 2 weeks time.

Going to do all the standard online marketing including influencers, ads etc. Actually got a few sales from random people, that weren't sympathy buys, within 24 hours of the website you going live after spending €10 on fb ads. Also have a few other plans in progress but can't say anything about those here.

Regarding the price, The ShowerGem is certainly not the cheapest and nor will it ever be. The reason it was designed was to fix problems with the current metal caddies and it does indeed do that. Materials are all premium quality, and the product is made and assembled in Ireland except for an adhesive which is made in Germany. Also people can say it is just a piece of plastic but that is a big over simplification. It is a grade of plastic that was specifically chosen for performance rather than cost and why make it out of metal if the M-ABS plastic that we use works so much better? I could have went for cheap stuff that would fissure and break but instead I choose quality materials and so I have no problem charging for that. Am I excluding a lot of the market, yes but I was always aiming the ShowerGem towards people that like nice design, premium quality materials and a product that will make their shower more enjoyable every single time that they have one. Once you use the ShowerGem you will realise how annoying it is to have to reach to the ground to pick up your shampoo, then your conditioner and then your shower gel. Even worse is the rust covered metal baskets that swing side to side or that fall of your wall cause suction cups don't work and don't even talk to me about balancing your shampoo bottles on top of the shower unit!!!

P.s. to get a serious quality adhesive into small tubes is extremely expensive and it does make up a large enough part of the product cost. I can assure you that the ShowerGem is not cheap to manufacture (unfortunately).

Not an impreza theme. Actually a shopify theme that is pretty customised. Will check out the issue with not being able to scroll downwards to see 2 other products so thanks for letting me know.

The reason I did not give an introduction at the start is because I wanted to give people an entire image of what they are buying into. We are not cheap so wanted people to really see that they are buying a luxury lifestyle product. Also I don't intend on ranking well on Google for quite a while so thought since people will mainly arrive on our page due to hearing about the product elsewhere then they dont need to see a description straight away. Potentially this could be the wrong choice but I'm going to give it a few weeks to test it out. Ideally i will do some AB testing at some stage.

The single product is a bit of a worry. If we do come up with other ideas then I was planning on starting a new website altogether. This would be hard work however...

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Love your product & will be ordering.

My mum has been on the lookout for a plastic tray for sitting accross the bath, the metal ones which rust drive her nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Looks really nice.

Question on pricing though.

Why is there a 10 euro increase from one to two, but a 20 increase from 2 to 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Clean site but selling this product in Ireland you are likely to need to build reassurance and your site isn't going to do the complete sales process for you.

You need a phone number and someone at the end of it to complete the sales process . It's Ireland, we like to talk, and for a new business/product it's essential to offer that option

• Advertisement

Birdsong wrote: »
    Love your product & will be ordering.

My mum has been on the lookout for a plastic tray for sitting accross the bath, the metal ones which rust drive her nuts.

Birdsong, your comment made my evening. Sometimes I would doubt myself but reading this makes me know I am not totally mad !! It honestly does mean a lot to me :)
    Looks really nice.

Question on pricing though.

Why is there a 10 euro increase from one to two, but a 20 increase from 2 to 3?

A 2Pack is only 35% more expensive to manufacture & deliver than a 1Pack. The main reasons are because: One tube of adhesive is sufficient to put up two ShowerGems. This means that we do not have to supply a second tube of expensive adhesive when a 2Pack is ordered. Postage rates are the same for the different pack sizes. Added packing cost for a 2Pack is negligible. We pass all these savings on to the customer when they order a 2Pack.

When we get an order for a 3Pack we have to post out a 2Pack + 1Pack together which means we now have to supply two tubes of glue, 2 boxes etc and so the price for 3 units increases by a bigger margin.
    Clean site but selling this product in Ireland you are likely to need to build reassurance and your site isn't going to do the complete sales process for you.

You need a phone number and someone at the end of it to complete the sales process . It's Ireland, we like to talk, and for a new business/product it's essential to offer that option

Agree with the sales process. I am working on a marketing funnel to sort this out. Unfortunately this market is a high volume game. This means we can't offer a phoneline as it would take away from other parts of the business. I am going to try and get a lot of reviews to help with the reassurance questions. I will also be uploading quite a lot of videos to answer any common questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

so it sticks to the wall using this expensive adhesive, yet in the pictures I see screw holes on it, why either not kill the screw holes for a more sleek design or make the adhesive a separate buy ?

so it sticks to the wall using this expensive adhesive, yet in the pictures I see screw holes on it, why either not kill the screw holes for a more sleek design or make the adhesive a separate buy ?

I think what you may be looking at are two slots rather than key holes? Explained poorly on the website so apologies. You receive a wall bracket which you stick to your wall. You then clip the ShowerGem onto the wall bracket. This means you can take it off your wall for easy cleaning. Take a look here to see if I am answering your question? https://showergem.com/pages/install

Once the ShowerGem is up on your wall you won't actually notice the slots, or even the bracket, to much as they are transparent and bottles will be obstructing their view.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

tacofries wrote: »
    I think what you may be looking at are two slots rather than key holes? Explained poorly on the website so apologies. You receive a wall bracket which you stick to your wall. You then clip the ShowerGem onto the wall bracket. This means you can take it off your wall for easy cleaning. Take a look here to see if I am answering your question? https://showergem.com/pages/install

ahh yes that explains it a bit better. Is the adhesive proprietary or off the shelf ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Tiny thing I've spotted. Under the "No Tools Required" heading, it should be "off your wall" as opposed to "of your wall". I'm a sucker for small details :o

Fine looking product, very best of luck.

ahh yes that explains it a bit better. Is the adhesive proprietary or off the shelf ?

It's not proprietary to us, however you definitely cannot buy it off the shelf. I won't even talk about the MOQ's for the adhesive that we use. It is pretty unique stuff. We tested over 30 different adhesives, before we got the one that we are happy with. Literally took years to get it right.

Noveight, thanks for pointing this out. I will get it changed! Glad you like the ShowerGem and thanks for the best wishes :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

cart man wrote: »
    I think you are missing a key thing at the start - an introduction that says what the product is. You go straight to easy order then feature then benefit.

Totally this. No charm or explanation, just big Buy Now buttons.

Too pushy tbh.

Basically, you've made it what you want to see, rather than what you're potential customer wants to see.

And no one trusts testimonials on a commercial website anyway. I wouldn't be convinced.

Your product may be good, but it's hidden by marketing schmuzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

You need a phone number and someone at the end of it to complete the sales process .
    It's Ireland, we like to talk, and for a new business/product it's essential to offer that option

You need a phone number and someone at the end of it to complete the sales process .[/b]

It's a shower caddy, no you don't - don't put a phone number near it

Or you'll have the kind of f**wit who phones asking :
    why are there screw holes in it ?
    but they look like screw holes
    could you screw it to the wall then ?

etc etc
    iMbk6jI.png

Do you have any in blue ?

• Advertisement

Don't want to come across negative, I'm no expert, wish you the best of luck in the new business. Just feels a bit blunt to me.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    And no one trusts testimonials on a commercial website anyway. I wouldn't be convinced.

Your product may be good, but it's hidden by marketing schmuzz.

When I get some more sales I want to redo the video with a different voice and then make a second landing page with a video on top left, short description on top right and a buy now button below. Potentially I am overselling at the moment but I just want people to realise that we aren't in the business of selling rusty metal baskets.

Once comments are constructive and are said with the intention of helping me then I do appreciate them so thanks for your response :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Like the others the videos immediately turned me off of it, I had to look beyond the voices, music and the repetition of the key phrases on both.

One thing I looked for on both the videos and the highlights was how to deal with water collecting in the mounting.
    It took me to zoom into the photos to see what you did there - very clever.
    Maybe think of drawing attention to the no water mess/collection in the units?

Taltos wrote: »
    Like the others the videos immediately turned me off of it, I had to look beyond the voices, music and the repetition of the key phrases on both.

One thing I looked for on both the videos and the highlights was how to deal with water collecting in the mounting.
    It took me to zoom into the photos to see what you did there - very clever.
    Maybe think of drawing attention to the no water mess/collection in the units?

Would you prefer a subtitled video with no voiceover?

There are a few things that I have not made clear about the unit. As you point out, the ShowerGem has being designed to make sure that water is not retained on the product so that your soap doesn't go soft and your razors are not sitting in water.

People also think that the shelves sit perpendicular to the wall which means that bottles will roll off. This is definitely not the case as the shelves are slanted towards that wall which means bottles are securely held. It actually took an awful lot of prototyping to get the angles right while also keeping the units slimline aesthetic design.

Also some people think the unit won't hold large bottles. At an estimate, the two lower shelves holds around 80% of different sized shower bottles on the market while the the top shelves are made to hold even the big Tresemme bottles that are 1 litre in size!

It is so hard to fit everything in on the website!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

No don’t get me wrong, I think what you’ve done here is great, but to me that no mess feature should be a great selling point. Anyone who’s used the simple tray’s with a hole in them know the hassle of getting stale water out. Your design with them off the wall and with the shape of the bracket (you don’t want me to say it), is a great selling feature.

Maybe a live demo of water flowing over them with a no mess from the bottle and a no mess or no clean up required on the unit...

As I said above - very clever. I don’t say that lightly.

As to the video’s, that maybe is just me, once I hear those shopping channels on the TV I flip across immediately. But you’ve a target market in mind so that makes sense. Maybe approach some of the larger stores there to stock for you too - but make sure your covered for all patents.

Very nice.
    No issue with price or your site, very easy to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

nice product. 'click here' link not active on the relocation question, chrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

nice product. 'click here' link not active on the relocation question, chrome.

Same here, in fact on the FAQ page all the "Click Here" links are not working. There is no hyperlink for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Fair play to you, best of luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭meforever

tacofries wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

I am a regular enough poster here so thought I would ask you to take a look at my website and let me know what you think of it? It has taken a long long time to get this stage but so happy, and sort of proud, to finally be here!

In particular what do you think of its appearance, wording/text, mobile layout and page load speeds? Also any thoughts on the videos and how best to market the ShowerGem?

https://showergem.com/

Constructive opinions very much welcome!
    Taco

Looks good to me.... nice concept.. wishing you well with it✔

• Advertisement

Same here, in fact on the FAQ page all the "Click Here" links are not working. There is no hyperlink for it.

There are 2 links that I can see that don't work as I am still creating the page to redirect them too. The other ones should be fine. What browser are you using and is it on desktop, mobile or tablet?

Advertisement