Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rolled out grass watering

Options
  • 06-10-2018 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Just put down some rolled out grass three days ago. It was 30 square metres.

I’m struggling to find the right amount of watering I should be doing for this time of the year? Currently water ing it for 30 minutes in the morning then another 30 minutes in the afternoon. Watering is done by hand held hose.

Is this enough? Too much?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭christy c

mad muffin wrote: »
    Hi all. Just put down some rolled out grass three days ago. It was 30 square metres.

I’m struggling to find the right amount of watering I should be doing for this time of the year? Currently water ing it for 30 minutes in the morning then another 30 minutes in the afternoon. Watering is done by hand held hose.

Is this enough? Too much?

No experience of doing it myself but considered doing it and what I read was that it needs enough water to get through the layer. To check this lift one corner and see if water has gone all the way through

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Yep. Soil underneath is moist.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Twice a day is far too often I'd say. If it was me I'd do it at most every other day and not at all if there is rain.

Lumen wrote: »
    Twice a day is far too often I'd say. If it was me I'd do it at most every other day and not at all if there is rain.

Every other day even for few day old turf?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭christy c

Yep. Soil underneath is moist.

As long as it's moist and not saturated you're sound I'd say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Advice I got from the guys who delivered mine (think it was emerald lawns) was basically you cant give it enough water (within reason of course).
    Did mine in the summer/autumn about 3 or 4 years ago - i remember it was aparticularly dry spell.
    I watered it every day for about 30mins and it turned out great. Watch out for patches going yellow (sometimes happens round the edge of a roll where it may have curled up slightly), give them an extra drop and make sure the roots are in good contact with the ground, don't worry as the colour will come back.

jmBuildExt wrote: »
    Advice I got from the guys who delivered mine (think it was emerald lawns) was basically you cant give it enough water (within reason of course).
    Did mine in the summer/autumn about 3 or 4 years ago - i remember it was aparticularly dry spell.
    I watered it every day for about 30mins and it turned out great. Watch out for patches going yellow (sometimes happens round the edge of a roll where it may have curled up slightly), give them an extra drop and make sure the roots are in good contact with the ground, don't worry as the colour will come back.

Check it everyday and the soil underneath is moist. So it tells me that the grass should be getting enough but there are a couple of bits that are slightly brown. There’s one bit in oartithat is a bit brown but the next bit right next to it is perfectly green.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭standardg60

christy c wrote: »
    No experience of doing it myself but considered doing it and what I read was that it needs enough water to get through the layer. To check this lift one corner and see if water has gone all the way through

This is exactly correct. The only right amount of water is what it requires, could be three times a day or not at all. It doesn't matter whether the soil underneath is moist, you need to ensure the turves themselves are moist all the way through and the only way of telling is to lift a corner of each as you're watering it. They will always dry out quickest round the perimeter and then at the ends and joins between each roll.

I should also say that it has frequently taken two or three hours for me to water a newly turfed lawn so best to err on the side of caution.

I should also say that it has frequently taken two or three hours for me to water a newly turfed lawn so best to err on the side of caution.

This was just after laying it down? Mines only 30 square meters but I probably didn’t water it quite enough after laying it. Luckily it bucketed down the next day.

• Advertisement

This was just after laying it down? Mines only 30 square meters but I probably didn’t water it quite enough after laying it. Luckily it bucketed down the next day.

Not just after laying it, I usually return to customers after a couple of days to check as very very few people understand just how much water newly laid turf requires. When I say two or three hours that is just with the bare hose..most people stick the spray attachment on the end and shower the area for twenty mins until they get bored. This is next to useless, especially on a day like today with sun and wind when it can dry out in an hour. To give you an idea of what is required, lay the bare hose in one place, reduce the flow to a trickle and leave it there for ten minutes. Then lift the turf, it should weigh a tonne, to give yourself an idea of what is required throughout the area.

You need to maintain this weight until the grass is actively growing, which could be a week. Don't rely on the rain either, you need to physically check it.
    Hope it works out.

Advertisement