Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuck head on new disk - fixed, but should I return?

Options
  • 06-10-2018 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭

Hi, I bought a 4TB WD disk from amazon, it came in that "frustration free" packaging; i.e. a bit of bubble wrap and a cardboard envelope. On plugging it in, it sounded like the head was stuck and wouldn't spin up. A gentle knock (it really was just a tap with my knuckle on the edge), and all seems to be good. I was able to create a partition table, format etc without any errors. Currently copying files (media files) to it from an older disk, which will half fill it so that'll be a test in itself.

But should I return it? If I do, it will be working fine when it's tested. What's the chance that the platter is damaged?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

KAGY wrote: »
    Hi, I bought a 4TB WD disk from amazon, it came in that "frustration free" packaging; i.e. a bit of bubble wrap and a cardboard envelope. On plugging it in, it sounded like the head was stuck and wouldn't spin up. A gentle knock (it really was just a tap with my knuckle on the edge), and all seems to be good. I was able to create a partition table, format etc without any errors. Currently copying files (media files) to it from an older disk, which will half fill it so that'll be a test in itself.

But should I return it? If I do, it will be working fine when it's tested. What's the chance that the platter is damaged?

I'd say it's probably 99% chance of no further issues, but in saying that the 1% would be enough for me to send it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,446 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

But should I return it? If I do, it will be working fine when it's tested.

Exactly, it's working now so you don't really have a case for a replacement.

It sound like the read/write heads got stuck in the park position. I never heard of this happening before but it doesn't seem to have caused any damage.
    What's the chance that the platter is damaged?

Zero. If the platter was damaged, the read/write head would hit the damaged patch, you'd get a head crash and that would be the end of the unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

From my own experience:
    about 9 moths ago, have purchased 4x 2TB WD blue. One out of 4 was DOA(dead on arrival). Contacted Amazon over chat - no questions asked, no return needed(i asked specifically if need to return and answer was - NO), replaced all 4 disk in 3 days(i guess single order/parcel). Happy end for me as i ended up with 7x 2TB WD disk with no extra cost.

Note: i am premium service subscriber.

I would not chance risk on data loss on 1% suspicion(as above). Sooner you rise your voice, better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

Thanks all, I'll contact Amazon and see what they say. Nothing important on the disk, and it's formatted as btrfs so hopefully the checksum will givegiveme an early warning if it starts failing.
    I'll see if I can get an extended warranty or something.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Use the live chat facility, they are amazing in giving you options and will take anything you say as fact. My last three interactions with them were :
    £70 power washer that came with euro plug - £10 credit back
    £50 gaming mouse that was now on a promo for £40 - Sure, send it back and reorder at promo price
    £300 warehouse drone that was shabbier than I expected - £60 credit back

• Advertisement
Advertisement