Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rough cost of new kitchen and bathroom

Options
  • 06-10-2018 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We are looking to buy a 3 bed house, needs a lot, an awful lot of work!

We would have limited money were we to go sale agreed on it but we really want it, just wondering what are typical costs would be.

For a basic kitchen fully fitted what sort of money would it cost, and for a bathroom with a shower fully tiled rough cost.

I was looking at ikea but doesn’t give a cost for installing it.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MaudL

Hiya,
    I'm in an apartment and recently installed a new Ikea kitchen.
    Ikea prices installation by number of cabinets, so the more you have the more it costs.
    To give you a rough idea, my kitchen cost 3.5k which included 14 cabinets, microwave, oven, gas hob, extractor, dishwasher, washer, sink and tap.
    They wanted 2.5k for installation.
    I ended up going with a local handyman that was much cheaper.

Bathrooms I don't know first hand, but everything I've seen so far seems to be in the 5-7k range depending on size, fittings, etc

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Hi MaudL,

Thanks for the reply.

That kitchen you got sounds perfect for us, did you source all the appliances yourself or did that come as a package with IKEA?

Yeah 2.5k is a lot for installation, I was holding it wouldn’t cost that much!

Yeah a handyman sounds better I must look into that.

We just need a decent enough kitchen as we can’t afford anything more than that.

Yeah the bathrooms, from researching onlin appear to be anything from €5k-€8k
    MaudL wrote: »
    Hiya,
    Ikea prices installation by number of cabinets, so the more you have the more it costs.
    To give you a rough idea, my kitchen cost 3.5k which included 14 cabinets, microwave, oven, gas hob, extractor, dishwasher, washer, sink and tap.

Bathrooms I don't know first hand, but everything I've seen so far seems to be in the 5-7k range depending on size, fittings, etc

Good luck!

I got all the appliances from Ikea, they were actually better prices than anywhere else. One exception, I got the fridge from another shop as they only had integrated and I wanted standalone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

7K for the bathroom from B&Q IIRC. Tiling was by far the biggest expense.

Was that all in, fitted etc?
    7K for the bathroom from B&Q IIRC. Tiling was by far the biggest expense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Shop around, I got a bathroom and kitchen including all new tiles covering a fairly large are for circa 7.5k, that was about 3 years ago but the variation was massive. We ended out going with a small local supplier that did both for us. We got a kitchen alone priced at 12k, the variation in prices was huge for little to no difference in quality

bri007 wrote: »
    Was that all in, fitted etc?

Whole lot job done start to finish including some new plasterboard in places and part new floor, except we had the electric shower already.

Do b and q have lists of people who will install the bathroom or source that yourself first?
    Whole lot job done start to finish including some new plasterboard in places and part new floor, except we had the electric shower already.

bri007 wrote: »
    Do b and q have lists of people who will install the bathroom or source that yourself first?

They use their own trades people, 5 year guarantee on the work. Happy out although the selection in B&Q is rather limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Recently did complete bathroom refit (after 25 years). Room size 8.5' x 6.5'. Total came to 6.5K. For that :-
    - ripped out all old ware and tiles (did tiles rip out ourself).
    - reduced a landing press which intruded into room to make bathroom larger also gyproc flooring in advance of floor tiling (as is an upstairs room) and adjustments to door.
    - new sanitary ware incl larger shower and glass cubicle also large towel radiator and wall press
    also rain shower pumped to water cylinder.
    - tiled completely floor and wall.
    - rejig of some electrics to put inline extractor fan, get power for shower pump, move ceiling light.
    Ended up with a builder, plumber, electrician, tiler and the ware/tile supplier. May have been faster getting all done by one supplier but very happy with result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭borus22222

Stratvs wrote: »
    Recently did complete bathroom refit (after 25 years). Room size 8.5' x 6.5'. Total came to 6.5K. For that :-
    - ripped out all old ware and tiles (did tiles rip out ourself).
    - reduced a landing press which intruded into room to make bathroom larger also gyproc flooring in advance of floor tiling (as is an upstairs room) and adjustments to door.
    - new sanitary ware incl larger shower and glass cubicle also large towel radiator and wall press
    also rain shower pumped to water cylinder.
    - tiled completely floor and wall.
    - rejig of some electrics to put inline extractor fan, get power for shower pump, move ceiling light.
    Ended up with a builder, plumber, electrician, tiler and the ware/tile supplier. May have been faster getting all done by one supplier but very happy with result.

Would you send over details to those lads? Need to do mine and the scope is quite similar. Thanks

borus22222 wrote: »
    Would you send over details to those lads? Need to do mine and the scope is quite similar. Thanks

What part of the country are you in ?

Stratvs wrote: »
    What part of the country are you in ?

North Dublin

borus22222 wrote: »
    North Dublin

Wouldn't be any point as all these lads are way down south in the Real Capital :D

One thing tho' is the bathroom upstairs ? If so and if going to tile the floor then it's very important ( so I was told by them that know ) to either replace existing floorboards or have them all screwed down well then gyproc laid over then also there is an adhesive matting that goes on top of that that before laying tiles otherwise you will have grout cracks and tile movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭spongebob89

MaudL wrote: »
    Hiya,

Good luck!

Hi Maud,

Would your handyman mind if you were to pass his number on to me as I may be replacing a kitchen soon and could give him the work should it be cheaper than ikea ? North Dublin based

Hi Maud,

Would your handyman mind if you were to pass his number on to me as I may be replacing a kitchen soon and could give him the work should it be cheaper than ikea ? North Dublin based

PM sent

MaudL, Would you send me that contact too? thanks

Advertisement