Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saddle - colour change

Options
  • 06-10-2018 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I will try to explain what I want to do. I took a saddle off as it has a red underside (in the photo). I am not 100% sure what type of fibre material this is (Astute Skyline saddle). I want to dye/paint/colour the underside but I am unsure of what can be used. It will only be exposed to rain/water/ crap kicked up from the road so staining and the longevity of it need not be as if I was sitting on it. Anyone ever done anything like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It begs the question - why??

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You could use plastidip, you can peel it off again if you change your mind or want to sell.

https://www.iplastidip.ie/product/plasti-dip-aerosol-spray/

They do similar stuff in Halfords.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

It begs the question - why??

I assume its like those women's shoes that have the red sole things?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Colour clash, bike has an orange/fluro theme, previous owner added red and it just clashes badly with the orange. Plus OCD :-)

Thanks Colm, I'll have a look

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

as it seems to be plastic or resin, dyeing it is out as it would need to penetrate. painting it - you'd need a key, i guess, so would have to sand your saddle first, which sounds like an unfortunate euphemism. else the paint would probably peel off.
    unless you used a tile paint, which should stick without a a key, and is designed to cope with water?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭f1000

was going to suggest acrylic spray paint but I'd totally forgot about plastidip. Have watched videos on it before. Seen it applied to car wheels and lasts until you want to just peel it off

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭f1000

application video

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Luxman wrote: »
    Colour clash, bike has an orange/fluro theme, previous owner added red and it just clashes badly with the orange. Plus OCD :-)

Thanks Colm, I'll have a look

Seems perfectly normal to me.

Advertisement