Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultegra di2 - that ugly understem junction box....

Options
  • 06-10-2018 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭

Was looking at an Orbea Orca today, love the frame but the one thing putting me off is that ugly di2 junction box under the stem. Only realised today that it did not have an integrated version of this.
    Anyone know what bikes out there have the integrated junction box, either in the bar end, or into the frame? I hate it that much I'd consider not getting a bike that had it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

You could change any bike with under stem junction box yourself. Need bars with preformed holes for cables, bar end jct box and maybe a few longer di2 cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Sure you won't see it when riding the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

terrydel wrote: »
    Was looking at an Orbea Orca today, love the frame but the one thing putting me off is that ugly di2 junction box under the stem. Only realised today that it did not have an integrated version of this.
    Anyone know what bikes out there have the integrated junction box, either in the bar end, or into the frame? I hate it that much I'd consider not getting a bike that had it!

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

TheDocMan wrote: »
    You could change any bike with under stem junction box yourself. Need bars with preformed holes for cables, bar end jct box and maybe a few longer di2 cables.

+1... get the right handlebars and you can do this with any bike. I did it on a Dogma F8...with a Zipp Aero road bar... junction in right bar end.. di2 cable exits next to the rear brake cable.. and I put a rubber sleeve over both, so its just one cable coming out. Super tidy job. Easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Raam wrote: »
    Sure you won't see it when riding the thing.

I Can’t say the same about my ex wife unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

If you hide the j/box away, how do you access the trim button and the charge point? I've trimmed mine on the go a couple of times and the location of the box makes this a breeze.
    And although the battery lasts months, I couldn't be bothered with a faff to charge it when I need to.

Edit - just looked it up. I didn't know a bar end insert existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

The button and charge socket are on the bar end plug

https://www.bike24.com/p2209139.html

EDIT: but at 85 quid + new bars/tape/wire Under stem is grand!

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

terrydel wrote: »

Orca Aero has a metron stem that hides the box
    https://imgur.com/a/sj4dSiN

how else is everyone else supposed to know you have Di2 though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Orca Aero has a metron stem that hides the box
    https://imgur.com/a/sj4dSiN

Yeah, aero bikes seem to be much cleaner in terms of cables etc, but Im not keen on them myself. Prefer a lighter more traditional frame.

• Advertisement
Advertisement