Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New job, want to reduce hours

Options
  • 06-10-2018 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I am a 1st year student studying occupational therapy in Dublin, who has never lived outside of Galway before. I recently got a jpb in Eddie Rockets on Wexford St. in Dublin, and am meant to be working from 8pm to 7am on Friday amd Saturday evenings, as well as 6pm - 10pm on Sunday. I don't think I can cope with this many hours and Study/keep up with college at the same time. I'm looking to not work overnight shifts on Fridays, or evening shifts on Sundays, and i forgot to specify this during the interview process. How can i approach my manager and manybe reschedule my hours or maybe even shorten them asap?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

You can always talk to your supervisor and see what they can do but tbh dont expect too much.
    The hours are tough for someone studying all week and probably with more study and some sleep to get at the weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

No harm* in asking

*So long as you don't count "being let go" as harm

Imagine the reverse situation: you go through the interview, sign the contract with the hours that suit you, and then on the first day, your boss comes in and says "actually, those hours don't suit us, we need you to do these hours instead". How would that sit with you?

You might get lucky, and your manager decides he doesn't need anyone on those hours, but it sounds more like the job just won't suit you

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

If you can, you should try cap your hours at 20 while in college. Remember all you want to do is fund yourself through it, you don't want to make a killing. Those that do want to make a killing will pay for it on the other side.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

jmb2k02 wrote: »
    am meant to be working from 8pm to 7am on Friday amd Saturday evenings, as well as 6pm - 10pm on Sunday.
    Is that legal btw?

11 hours between shifts is the bare minimum, but is there rules about coming off nights and going straight onto days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭dennyk

cdeb wrote: »
    Is that legal btw?

11 hours between shifts is the bare minimum, but is there rules about coming off nights and going straight onto days?

As long as they get their 11 hours between shifts, it's legal, so long as their contract doesn't say otherwise. ****ty, but legal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

And those rules dont apply to all industries
    As an example - hotels are excempt
    Normal reception hours are 7-3.30 + 3-11.30
    Staff are often on until 11.30pm and back at 7am the next day

Advertisement