Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boys - Amazon Prime Original - (**Spoilers**) (No Comic Spoilers!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Finally realised why I loathe Stormfront bar the obvious reasons; she's like a ****ing Joss Whedon character.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,713 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

John Noble will portray Billy Butcher's father

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Is this production allergic to hiring English actors to play English characters? Not like half of US TV isn't already using Brits in casting (heck Homelander's played by a Kiwi!).

It's so weird the show's going out of its way to avoid actual English actors: first Karl Urban, then his aunt with her own atrocious accent - now John Noble? To be fair, Noble has a very plummy accent that can easily play as posh-English (and did so most recently as Sherlock's dad in "Elementary"), but The Boys is certainly leaning into this Dick VanDyke approach to accents lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Homelander wrote: »
    The character of Butcher just seems so redundant compared to the source material, yet they're trying to force him into the same role without any of the relevant context that made it work so well....so he's become incredibly boring.

I enjoy the show and who wouldn't watch it for Homelander but it's getting increasingly completely daft that "The Boys" can consistently evade a team of insanely powerful Superheroes, law enforcement, etc while constantly being out and about strolling around, generally making zero effort to conceal their identities.

That made much more sense in the source material because they could - and do - take on the supes directly, even though they still sort of fly by night mostly because someone like Homelander or Black Noir are too powerful for a direction confrontation.

It doesn't make any sense in the show though that they just regularly freely wander around in public. It was fine in the first season but at this stage it doesn't really work for me anymore.

Also, specifically the latest episode, again I enjoyed it but I thought the whole Stormfront angle was a bit rushed....though unsure if she's being sincere or playing Homelander like a fine fiddle towards some other nefarious end.

I think they are saving the boys going onto V so they can extend the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

pixelburp wrote: »
    Is this production allergic to hiring English actors to play English characters? Not like half of US TV isn't already using Brits in casting (heck Homelander's played by a Kiwi!).

They seem to cast good actors, but also have a bit of fun with their casting choices at time - e.g. Shawn Ashmore playing Lamplighter (after playing his polar opposite, Iceman in the X-men series), Simon Pegg as Hughie's Dad (Hughie in the original comic was drawn to look like Simon Pegg), and the upcoming Jensen Ackles as Captain-America-rip-off 'Soldier Boy' (Ackles auditioned for Captain America in the MCU and was a fan favourite, Marvel liked him enough to even offer an alternative role).

Not unexpected I guess given that Seth Rogen is an exec producer and was involved in the casting and auditions.

Noble is a great actor, I was a big fan of Fringe and loved him in it - never mind all his theatre work. He's the right age and lives in New York, where they film sometimes. I'd imagine the Lord of the Rings link with Urban was a cherry on top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,713 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

They seem to cast good actors, but also have a bit of fun with their casting choices at time - e.g. Shawn Ashmore playing Lamplighter (after playing his polar opposite, Iceman in the X-men series), Simon Pegg as Hughie's Dad (Hughie in the original comic was drawn to look like Simon Pegg), and the upcoming Jensen Ackles as Captain-America-rip-off 'Soldier Boy' (Ackles auditioned for Captain America in the MCU and was a fan favourite, Marvel liked him enough to even offer an alternative role).

Not unexpected I guess given that Seth Rogen is an exec producer and was involved in the casting and auditions.

Noble is a great actor, I was a big fan of Fringe and loved him in it - never mind all his theatre work. He's the right age and lives in New York, where they film sometimes. I'd imagine the Lord of the Rings link with Urban was a cherry on top.

What offer did Marvel give Jensen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    What offer did Marvel give Jensen?

Hawkeye in the first Avengers movie, he couldn't do it then because of scheduling for Supernatural.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I'm all for some Walternate

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

pixelburp wrote: »

It's so weird the show's going out of its way to avoid actual English actors: first Karl Urban, then his aunt with her own atrocious accent - now John Noble? To be fair, Noble has a very plummy accent that can easily play as posh-English (and did so most recently as Sherlock's dad in "Elementary"), but The Boys is certainly leaning into this Dick VanDyke approach to accents lol.

I'd assume that they are very sensitive to hiring non-US based actors for any US based productions at the moment, a quick spin home could result in quarantine which could shut down production.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Having witnessed the decline of Game of Thrones has made me slightly apprehensive and anxious when it comes to any other half decent show and the Boys is no different.

When I heard there was a spinoff about teenage 'supes' on the way, I kind of thought, here it comes, just please have finished the main story in the Boys before that happens.

I haven't read the comics and I won't until I've seen the television in series in full which is probably a weird stance - they must be great comics but I don't want to read ahead and ruin the show. Can anyone at least tell me, does music play as big a role in the comics as the tv series? Does Hughie really love Billy Joel or is that the tv writers?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Game of Thrones was BRILLIANT as it kept up with the material, when it overtook the material it struggled and in the last series, well, lets pretend the last series never happened but I don't think you can compare it to comic book material. It'd be like comparing The Walking Dead to Game of Thrones, Game of Thrones early on was (part of) the book on film, The Walking Dead is an interpretation of the comic books.

Spoilers for GoT and TWD[spoilers]
    Remember the smugness of GoT readers when the Red Wedding happened on TV, compare that to Rick getting married to Andrea, it's a HUGE thing in the comics but I don't know if they even talked in the TV show.[/spoiler]

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Was not expecting that

Didn't like the start of it, thought it was great towards the end. Looked like it was being set up one way for the finale but went completely the other way. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭golfball37

Someone mentioned the red wedding earlier. How very apt, what an ending to this one

• Registered Users Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Had to laugh at Deep
    checking his head was there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

I don't get why Cindy - if it's Cindy - is popping heads for Stormfront. Didn't she keep her locked up in that facility and also attack her when she returned and found her outside of her room?

Sorry added spoiler tags in case people hadn't seen latest episode

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭golfball37

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    I don't get why Cindy - if it's Cindy - is popping heads for Stormfront. Didn't she keep her locked up in that facility and also attack her when she returned and found her outside of her room?

It was just random heads it looked like?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Steyr 556 wrote: »

Don't thing they caught Cindy. She was last seen hitching and then got into a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

The head popping thing lost its impact a few episodes ago, now its kinda a big (shrug). One episode left this season and I feel like there hasn't been much progress it feels a bit like the latter seasons of GOT where they wouldn't kill off key characters. Lamplighter, Kimiko's brother, Dr. Vogelbaum all died after having been introduced or reintroduced shortly beforehand so their deaths meant a little less than Stillwell or Translucent. Yeah Queen Maeve used the Hershey on Black Noir but he ain't dead. I expect Maeve to die next week as The Deep & A-Train will probably double cross her to try get back in the Seven.

I enjoyed the last 2 episodes mainly but there are a few things that just bore me this season.
    I couldn't care less about the Deep, A-Train and the Church of the Collective storyline, the political commentary is so on the nose it feels out of place on this show, Billy Butchers wife and her idiot kid bore me to tears and then learning that Billy's family are so off-putting I expect that Daphne Moon is his sister going by the family we've met. They've really done a number on Billy and Hughie this season but I'm not the first to mention that.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Rothko wrote: »
    Don't agree with that at all. I think she's great. Hughie is the only one that I don't really like.

I’ve had to ban Mr PC7 from saying ‘ I hate hughie’, every time he pops up he was saying it, he really is the most annoying and weakest this season.

I found it slow the first two episodes this season but loving it now, so good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Really liked that episode. Thought the ending was amazing. Reminded me of the plane scene in the first season in terms of the awfulness of being in that situation.
    Wondering if Stormfront's comment regarding Ryan - 'he'll have a mother' - was a reference to herself, i.e. a grandmother? Still think they'll go there in the season finale.

Also thinking maybe Cindy is actually working for Edgar now. I can't imagine why Edgar would be happy about Stormfront pushing her culture war. Maybe he decided to utilise her skills with Black Noir being taken out for the time being.

I liked hearing about Billy's back story. I found him a bit too cold this season but that made me warm to him some more.

Looking forward to the season finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Well that was a mind blowing episode - cant believe there is only one episode left

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

fritzelly wrote: »
    Well that was a mind blowing episode - cant believe there is only one episode left

Pun intended? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Pun intended? :P

Spoilerish free :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

ERG89 wrote: »
    The head popping thing lost its impact a few episodes ago, now its kinda a big (shrug). One episode left this season and I feel like there hasn't been much progress it feels a bit like the latter seasons of GOT where they wouldn't kill off key characters. Lamplighter, Kimiko's brother, Dr. Vogelbaum all died after having been introduced or reintroduced shortly beforehand so their deaths meant a little less than Stillwell or Translucent. Yeah Queen Maeve used the Hershey on Black Noir but he ain't dead. I expect Maeve to die next week as The Deep & A-Train will probably double cross her to try get back in the Seven.

I enjoyed the last 2 episodes mainly but there are a few things that just bore me this season.
    I couldn't care less about the Deep, A-Train and the Church of the Collective storyline, the political commentary is so on the nose it feels out of place on this show, Billy Butchers wife and her idiot kid bore me to tears and then learning that Billy's family are so off-putting I expect that Daphne Moon is his sister going by the family we've met. They've really done a number on Billy and Hughie this season but I'm not the first to mention that.

I pretty much disagree with all of this. Loving this season and will be gutted when it’s over.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I just take this show at face value for the ridiculously violent fun that it is, I worry if I start delving too far into plot holes, characters and storylines I'll end up ruining it for myself. Antony Starr is amazing even when he just uses facial expressions. I've started to love hating Stormfront especially that smug look she gives, the two of them together are excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 17,439 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

PsychoPete wrote: »
    I just take this show at face value for the ridiculously violent fun that it is, I worry if I start delving too far into plot holes, characters and storylines I'll end up ruining it for myself. Antony Starr is amazing even when he just uses facial expressions. I've started to love hating Stormfront especially that smug look she gives, the two of them together are excellent

that's it....just switch the brain off and just enjoy the show for what it is.
    Its grand if it was something like the Wire or the Sopranos but its a good old superhero show..nothing too complicated etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Maybe a stupid question here, but the powers the supes get, are random, right? they can´t predict what they get?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Maybe a stupid question here, but the powers the supes get, are random, right? they can´t predict what they get?

If they could choose I don't think love sausage would have chosen those powers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

I really like the power scaling this season - we've seen via Homelanders escapist fantasy about lasering the crowd just how incredibly powerful he is, and how little we've actually seen his capacity even faintly tested.

Now, with Maeve easily subduing Black Noir like he was a bold child, we have an idea of how disproportionately powerful she is as well, basically only behind Homelander.

But we still don't know exactly how a Maeve v Stormfront, or Homelander v Maeve, or even Homelander v Stormfront type confrontation would play out.

I suspect something very big in that area to happen in the last episode, some incredible display of adversarial raw power we've not seen before. Episode seven was a great one, I found Episode 6 a bit lacklustre but this more than made up for it.

Advertisement