Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boys - Amazon Prime Original - (**Spoilers**) (No Comic Spoilers!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,043 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So Ethan and Uma's daughter in Stranger Things and Dennis and Meg's son in this. Who's next?

3 episodes down. Enjoying it.

Though think one thing from the comics I would've preferred would be
    Hughie joining a pretty much already formed group with Compound V. As it is, they seem to just be stumbling from one thing to another

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

I'm a filthy pig who likes to eat ass :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Heckler

Just one episode in. Karl Urban doing a Del Toro with a cockney accent. Great to see Sheriff Hood back. Really enjoyed it. A good take on the genre. Have high hopes for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,740 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Loving it. Will tide me over between Legion episodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Seriously good show. I'm a huge fan of the graphic novel, and this is definitely one of the more faithful adaptations that really commits to the themes and tone of the source material....unlike something like Preacher, which is sort of OK in it's own right but very toned down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,740 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

....unlike something like Preacher, which is sort of OK in it's own right but very toned down.

Ah thanks for the tip-off. I like the Preacher graphic novels but haven't checked out the show yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭kerplun k

One episode in... How f**king cool is Karl Urban. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Finished it earlier, it's enjoyable and all set up for a second series.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,558 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Finished it and really enjoyed it and I still by what I said earlier the whole season is a set up for next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Finished the season and my god what a cracking show from start to finish. Roll on season two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

1.2:
    Not sure how they've done it but just two episodes in and they've got the punisher for Supes feeling kinda sorted! I get the feeling many episodes will be spoilery. Maybe they are just getting a woah moment in though

Is every episode gonna have a hook to make you want to watch more?

1.3:
    So guessing this Edgar is like a Lex Luthor who corrupted the supes... and Homelander killed Becca?.. Butchers Wife?Girlfriend?Daughter?Sister?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Well... fantastic , humour, violence,hard subjects, not what I expected.

Spice Girls!

1.4:
    You know, I'm starting to suspect that Hughie isn't imagining things or maybe his imagination moments are some kinda of power.
    The Deep and the Dolphin!
    :eek:
    and the girl.. she ain't no spice girl but I get the feeling she'll join the team

• Registered Users Posts: 12,421 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

finished it, pretty great

as fecked up as it is I feel they didn't go far enough into the depravity of the books
    also why did they hire an Irish actress to play an Irish super hero and then make her American?
    I wonder what their reasoning for not having the boys on Compound V is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

I've tried graphic novels, but they weren't for me, so it's always interesting to see 'fanboy' takes on tv efforts; I had to give this a go based on the reviews so far. Generally, the superhero franchises have been more miss than hit for me; some ignored, mostly getting a few episodes watched, and occasionally with a series or two watched.
    This is a completely different kettle of fish. Every genre has some attempts at subverting that genre, and with regards to this inevitability, none have worked for me. Except this. I'm the first 2 episodes in at mo, and it's brilliant. It does remind me a bit of Preacher in it's attitude and tone (and just like that Garth Ennis product, the show has it's dud fake accent in Karl Urban- who has great presence, but whose fake accent is pretty atrocious). It manages to set it's stall out pretty quickly, and moves along at a great pace, deftly subverting expectations as it goes.
    So far, it's proper adult entertainment, pulling surprises without pulling it's punches. I only hope the ultra-violence in it doesn't mean the series descends into parody, rather than the plain old fashioned cynicism it's meant to convey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Absolutely loving this so far. I didn't think Umbrella Academy could be beaten as a dark (anti) superhero show but this is even better.

Have to say, Amazon may not churn out nearly as many shows as Netflix do but the quality is generally far higher, for almost half the price, and with a Prime subscription too.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

Seen six so far and this is superb.

In tears laughing at the dolphin scene in episode 4 and Karl Urban's rant at the old guy at the religious festival in episode 5 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,043 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I did laugh at
    how random Billy Zane's appearances seemed. Tara Reid seemed about right though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,378 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Only watched the premiere and certainly not sure this is for me; will give it a couple more episodes but at first blush the tone is too seedy & nihilistic for my blood. All shock, blood and hedonism without much of a voice behind it all. So basically like Preacher and as misanthropic as every other Garth Ennis work it seems. At least Game of Thrones' famous "sexposition" scenes served a narrative purpose.

The actual plot of Supers being corporate heroes for hire is a fantastic one, but (so far!) it's a deeply cynical, misterable watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I see dead people ðŸ˜

1.5:
    Phew!
    :)
    Effers! They had me totally feeling for the loss of the girl!
    bar that.. I'm a little suspicious of a reoccuring fly being in some scenes.. it just seems odd

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Jesus this is good, the plane scene was absolutely brilliant and kind of disturbing (while in the comics it was absolutely hilarious), Ive gotten everyone at work hooked on this, they'd have never heard of it otherwise, hope thats not reflected in the ratings cos Im not really seeing much hype for it around the place tbh. Its already renewed though so plenty of time for word of mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

For anyone interested in reading the graphic novels, the entire set of The Boys plus a raft of other Garth Ennis comics are currently just $15 on Humble Bundle.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Two episodes in and loving it!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,245 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

For anyone interested in reading the graphic novels, the entire set of The Boys plus a raft of other Garth Ennis comics are currently just $15 on Humble Bundle.

They're also free on kindle if you have a full prime sub it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

Haven't watched it yet but I am excited about this!

1.6:
    OH! THANK F**K they didn't show a pitcher of Guinness!
    :eek:
    I reckon Mesmer won't have his cover blown immediately. Could join the team as a spy for Vought
    Heh.. now that I type it and see the V beside B on the keyboard..
    Vought could just be a misspelling of Bought .. which these supers kinda were

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Loving this, can’t wait for kids to fall asleep to get back too it. Really is excellent, Supes are as*holes

• Advertisement

Slydice wrote: »
    a pitcher of Guinness!

Seriously yuck! and the speed of it like! eeeeewwwwee

Advertisement