Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from roads after being insulted on forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Do you want to appeal your ban?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Yes, please.

No problem, I’ll move this to the Dispute Resolution forum.

The first step in the DR process is to contact the mod and attempt to resolve the matter between yourselves, without having to do all this process. Have you attempted to contact the mod, and if so, what was the outcome?

I did but my take is he just wants to ignore it. The reply is quoted:

Please do.

You were banned for on-thread comments on Mod instructions. You were formally warned, including that a long ban would follow, but continued to attack the Moderator on thread.

You should have reported posts you were unhappy about, and you should use the PM function to communicate with a Mod.

Regards

There was no mod "instruction" and I never "attacked" anyone. All I did was post a reference back to where I flagged the post was abusive/insulting.

I have tried to retrieve my post but it has been deleted! :mad:

That is unbelievable - the moderator has accused me of "attacking" another moderator and deleted the post in question which would leave absolutely no doubt that that was not the case if you could see it!!!!

I’ll ask a CMod to review, as per the next step in the process.

• Advertisement

Thank you

You’re welcome. Please give it a day or two.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

dudara wrote: »
    I’ll ask a CMod to review, as per the next step in the process.
    Hi Kermit.de.frog,
    As Cmod I will be reviewing this DRP. Please send all PMs you have received and exchanged with mod Sam Russell to my PM mailbox at your earliest convenience.

Sincerely,
    Black Swan

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I did but my take is he just wants to ignore it. The reply is quoted:

There was no mod "instruction" and I never "attacked" anyone. All I did was post a reference back to where I flagged the post was abusive/insulting.

I have tried to retrieve my post but it has been deleted! :mad:

That is unbelievable - the moderator has accused me of "attacking" another moderator and deleted the post in question which would leave absolutely no doubt that that was not the case if you could see it!!!!

The post in question & all other off-topic posts were deleted by a mod this evening without realising this dispute had been raised here.

All posts involved are still viewable to CMods & Admins.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Hi Kermit.de.frog,
    I am currently in data collection mode regarding your DRP. Once again, please forward copies of all the PMs you have received and sent to the mod (to my PM mailbox). Please also feel free to discuss this 2-week ban with me by PM or here. Mod Sam Russell has already replied to my requests for information, and I am now waiting on you so that I can have a balanced picture and proceed with this resolution. Also, to confirm what The Hill Billy has said earlier, I am able to access all posts that you have made associated with this 2-week ban, including those that may have been deleted, so not to worry about those. Please PM me at your earliest convenience.

Sincerely,
    Black Swan
    Black Swan wrote: »
    Hi Kermit.de.frog,
    As Cmod I will be reviewing this DRP. Please send all PMs you have received and exchanged with mod Sam Russell to my PM mailbox at your earliest convenience.

Sincerely,
    Black Swan

• Advertisement

Hi Black Swan,

Sent. Apologies for delay.

Just to clarify my issue is not with the yellow card. It is with the ban and the inconsistency in moderating. It is an evident statement of fact I was insulted first, twice, by two different posters neither of which were reprimanded by even a card.

Regards,
    Kermit

To be clear, the actions of others are not up for discussion here. Only cards and bans applied to your account will be discussed here.

Having said that, so you want to continue to appeal your ban?

Yes.

Thank you.

Hi Kermit.de.frog,
    Thanks for sending the exchange of PMs between you and the mod. My review should take a couple days. Once completed, I will post it here. Please feel free to contact me between now and then, or after.

Sincerely,
    Black Swan
    Hi Black Swan,

Just to clarify my issue is not with the yellow card. It is with the ban and the inconsistency in moderating. It is an evident statement of fact I was insulted first, twice, by two different posters neither of which were reprimanded by even a card.

Regards,
    Kermit

Got all the data in for review, and will do so this weekend. Sorry for the delay, but work has been demanding this week. The weekend should be better.

Hi Black Swan,

dudara wrote: »
    To be clear, the actions of others are not up for discussion here. Only cards and bans applied to your account will be discussed here.

First of all, I am unable to discuss the actions of other members in this DRP per policy and the instructions of Admin above. Secondly, you did not contest your yellow card warning per your statement above, although it appears related to the later issued 2-week ban.

Thirdly, as to the 2-week ban, had you been given advance warning about your inappropriate posting comments in the thread and Roads forum before receiving this ban by the mod? Yes. In-thread written warning and also yellow card:
    Mod: Do not attack posters. Take a warning.

Fourthly, did the 2-week ban appear consistent with progressive discipline; i.e., were there other actions taken before the 2-week ban was issued that would make this ban appear like the next logical step to correct inappropriate posting behaviour in the Roads forum? Yes. In addition to the above quoted in-thread warning and yellow card issued approximately 6 hours before the 2-week ban, you had received a 1-week ban recently in the Roads forum on 22 September 2018 for inappropriate posting behaviour. So it appears that you had plenty of ample warning about your inappropriate posting in the Roads forum before the 2-week ban had been issued.

Cmod Decision: During this review, I did not find compelling evidence that would suggest reducing or reversing this 2-week ban; rather, the 2-week ban appeared to be what most mods would do in the course of their voluntary moderation of the Roads forum to progressively discipline your inappropriate posting behavior on the thread and in the forum. You may learn from this experience and move on, or you may appeal this decision by requesting that Admin review it. Please let me know your choice by posting it here.

Outside of this specific and recent review of your 2-week ban on the Roads forum, may I suggest that you rethink your posting behaviour on the site given that your record shows 24 bans in several forums by several mods since 25 April 2014, including a 3-month probation issued by Admin 19 October 2018?

Hello Blackswan,

Thank you for taking the time.

Just to be clear - in relation to the roads forum - the problem is not my posting, it's my ideology they take issue with (ironically that ideology being pro road). They don't like the fact I advocate for bigger roads and they are not afraid to say it.

The fact also remains I was insulted (twice) first and no action was taken there. Then I am told not to "attack" a poster? They didn't get any card.

I also drew attention to this on the thread.

The two week ban is over.

Best leave it at that.

The two week ban is over.

Best leave it at that.

Would Admin please close this DRP accordingly? Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement