Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Droichead question

• 06-10-2018 8:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭

Can i use resource /sen classes for the hours ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Dickie10 wrote: »
    Can i use resource /sen classes for the hours ?

Seems you can: https://www.teachingcouncil.ie/en/faqs/droichead-2017/

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Studentblogger

Yes, you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Hi I was casually subbing in the school I did my last PME placement I was of the opinion that there were no classes going to do my Droichead so I was on the look out for another school looking for maternity leave, i got one and have got the job if i wanted with Droichead and all on Friday. Today I told my DP and he called me to the office to say he would have maybe 7 hours resource classes and that I could do the Droichead there as well, he really dosent want me to leave. He has Droichead up and running this year. this would really suit me as i like the school and its only 10 minutes away whereas the other school is almost an hours drive. my question is can i do Droichead hours next year again in this school , say if i have 160 hours by the end of the year can i finish these the following Sept/Oct 2019 and finish Droichead then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭strawberrie

You have to have enough hours, 200, to do droichead in the one school year. They don't carry from year to year. You can't register for droichead unless you have the minimum number of hrs needed either
    Hi I was casually subbing in the school I did my last PME placement I was of the opinion that there were no classes going to do my Droichead so I was on the look out for another school looking for maternity leave, i got one and have got the job if i wanted with Droichead and all on Friday. Today I told my DP and he called me to the office to say he would have maybe 7 hours resource classes and that I could do the Droichead there as well, he really dosent want me to leave. He has Droichead up and running this year. this would really suit me as i like the school and its only 10 minutes away whereas the other school is almost an hours drive. my question is can i do Droichead hours next year again in this school , say if i have 160 hours by the end of the year can i finish these the following Sept/Oct 2019 and finish Droichead then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

You'd be cutting it tight to make the 200, and also he used the word 'maybe' resource. I think it would be unusual to magic up 7 hours at this stage. That's about 10*40min classes on a timetable!! I suppose if it's a big enough school those classes could be there. I've heard the line 'shur we'll make up your hours with some resource' so often and then once they've got you hooked with some hours the promised resource hours dwindle.

For casual subbing schools I'd imagine are finding it tricky enough at the moment, as so many teachers are doing the JCT training in their second subject. This should fizzle out in about a month or so. You might be left with very little subbing after the christmas, even though it might feel busy enough at the moment.
    If you're not stuck for cash e.g. living at home, it might be worth sweating it out for the year. But then again we've seen on this forum so often how teachers are promised loads but left with egg on their faces after keeping their side of the bargain (promises can be rolled over year after year too!)
    If you can really trust the Principal then it might be worth helping the school out.

The only solid thing I can see is the maternity leave... will that give you enough droichead hours? You'll also get regular subject experience from the Mat. Leave, unlike the casual subbing.

Is there anything wrong with hanging on for another year to get the Droichead hours?

• Advertisement

ideally id like to stay where i am , a few miles from home espically coming into winter. not worried really about teaching subjects. I would just like to get Droichead done. my overall concern is that who exactly signs off on Droichead? is it the school? how does anyone know if im subbing say a woodwork class or like today actually doing the work of a woodwork teacher (theory) giving first year students work and correcting it.? is this viable for teaching hours? i feel like im teaching a god few of these classes every day. However i need to know are the school going to scratch my back with Droichead in return for me staying with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

ideally id like to stay where i am , a few miles from home espically coming into winter. not worried really about teaching subjects. I would just like to get Droichead done. my overall concern is that who exactly signs off on Droichead? is it the school? how does anyone know if im subbing say a woodwork class or like today actually doing the work of a woodwork teacher (theory) giving first year students work and correcting it.? is this viable for teaching hours? i feel like im teaching a god few of these classes every day. However i need to know are the school going to scratch my back with Droichead in return for me staying with them.

Nobody here really knows the answer to that one.

Did the Principal give you a nod and a wink when he mentioned Resource hours and Droichead:pac:
    mr-bean-805x427.jpg

Well there will be a person trained to get you through the Droichead programme. They will sit into some of your classes and you into theirs and give you constructive feedback. This is teaching your own subject or resource. I assume general subbing doesn't count. You will have a portfolio at the end of the year which is signed off by the principal.
    Nobody here really knows the answer to that one.

Did the Principal give you a nod and a wink when he mentioned Resource hours and Droichead:pac:
    mr-bean-805x427.jpg

Nothing to add - just brightened my Tuesday with that image :)

Ha grand thanks for the info, Im going to go and ask these questions and maake my decision.

Ha grand thanks for the info, Im going to go and ask these questions and maake my decision.

If the other job is a maternity leave and full hours (or more than what you have been offered in resource) - I'd take it - it would look better on your CV than just general subbing even though it is an hour away. Have you asked in the other school if they do the Droichead programme? All schools over 400 (I think) students have to run droichead. Being at the beck and call of a school is not good and you could end up with egg on your face - believe me it happens. Look after number one i.e. YOU :) Best of luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement