Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disadvantages of privately paid school hours

• 06-10-2018 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have been offered half hours paid privately in a private school and am wondering what disadvantages and perhaps advantages should I consider with being paid this way?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Advantages --> if you've no job it's better than nothing. Take it but keep looking.

Disadvantages--> Some schools pay less than what your dept colleagues will get.
    -->Not pay for holidays.
    -->No pension

If you are going to interview ask (skilfully at the end) if the pay is on a par with department and incremental (if its advertised as a permanent post). You might be promised the sun moon and stars but read over your contract with someone who is clued in. Even at that they might put you off until you start, by then its too late. If you get the job tell em you need the contract ASAP for a car loan to get to work or somesuch.

That's a cautious approach.

If it's for something like a grind school then it should pay at minimum the hourly teaching sub rate €45 +

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Jane98 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have been offered half hours paid privately in a private school and am wondering what disadvantages and perhaps advantages should I consider with being paid this way?

A certain crowd who have been banned from many countries since 1540 - *fires pen down the back at the dossers in history class* - offer free or low cost accommodation to teachers so that would be a very nice carrot if the job is in the Pale.

They also have a decent pension scheme for privately paid teachers and, as far as I'm aware, they pay all teachers at DoES levels - so you'd be better off than DoES paid teachers if that's actually correct (i.e. you won't be paying the 10% PRD/ASC tax that all state-paid teachers pay).

gaiscioch wrote: »
    A certain crowd who have been banned from many countries since 1540 - *fires pen down the back at the dossers in history class* - offer free or low cost accommodation to teachers so that would be a very nice carrot if the job is in the Pale.

They also have a decent pension scheme for privately paid teachers and, as far as I'm aware, they pay all teachers at DoES levels - so you'd be better off than DoES paid teachers if that's actually correct (i.e. you won't be paying the 10% PRD/ASC tax that all state-paid teachers pay).

Freemasons?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Jack Moore

Freemasons?

More like the goldsmiths

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Nights of Columbanus!

Close enough...

knightsofcolumbus.jpg

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.