Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best defensive boxers of all time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Whitaker will always be my favourite. Amazing fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

James Toney, because he was so very offensive whilst in D mode!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

James Toney, stood straight in front of people in the pocket and doled out punches while completely negating the opponent's offensive. Very few as good as he was. Even as an old, fat man he was doing it.

FTA69 wrote: »
    James Toney, stood straight in front of people in the pocket and doled out punches while completely negating the opponent's offensive. Very few as good as he was. Even as an old, fat man he was doing it.

It’s why I rate him even better than Floyd and Pea on D

Floyd and Pea both used their feet a lot to defend. Yes, that is part of D, but the real skill I see is being in the firing zone and being able to fight hard whilst defensing. For me, nobody was better than Toney at this..

Also I wouldn't call Duran and Jones "defensive" boxers. They had a defence certainly, but it wasn't the crux of their style.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Sweet Pea is my favourite boxer of all time so I have to pick him but I have a very soft spot for Toney as well. Just a fantastic style he had and had a fantastic view on how you should fight. Seems he's completely fallen off the face of the earth as well as out of the mouths of every Boxing fan but Rigondeaux is another. He's a genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

FTA69 wrote: »
    Also I wouldn't call Duran and Jones "defensive" boxers. They had a defence certainly, but it wasn't the crux of their style.

True, but I have a soft spot for Duran
    and he had an excellent underrated defence despite it not being his ‘main thing’

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Going back an age but Willy Pep has to be top 3 in this discussion, you don't get called Willo the wisp for nothing.
    Also considering he was a big guy Ali must get a mention.
    Two fighters with very underated defences were Duran and Mike Mc Callum, a lot of opponents who they beat up all said it was amazing how hard it was to land a clean shot on them.

Anyway, here's Toney. (I thought I put him in last night)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I_2pAIwuLA

Two fighters with very underated defences were Duran and Mike Mc Callum, a lot of opponents who they beat up all said it was amazing how hard it was to land a clean shot on them.

Great breakdown of McCallum vs Watson

• Advertisement

Spoke to Herol Graham about fighting Mike McCallum and he said he was a f*cking disaster and the hardest person he ever fought, and he’s someone Roberto Duran sacked as a sparring partner cos he was too wound up by Herol moving around.

Whoever said Rigondeaux was spot on too, some of the best footwork ever. His defence lay in being two moves ahead and always having his feet in the right place, although he had a habit of getting caught square in a lot of fights and getting sat down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Mayweather def a great defensive boxer. Rarely got tagged

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Try_harder wrote: »
    Mayweather def a great defensive boxer. Rarely got tagged

Very hard to hit alright and lightening reflexes, but he'll always be a smaller brother version of Wladimer Klitchsko to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,429 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Depends on how you define defensive I suppose.

If it's just being able to use movement and reflexes not get hit you'd have to give this fella a mention

If you mean it in the sense as keep the hands up, cover up and don't do stupid things then definitely not

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭megadodge

Depends on how you define defensive I suppose.

If it's just being able to use movement and reflexes not get hit you'd have to give this fella a mention

If you mean it in the sense as keep the hands up, cover up and don't do stupid things then definitely not

At least one long-term poster will blow a gasket at you for having the temerity to mention Hamed on the same thread as a James Toney lovein!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

True, but I have a soft spot for Duran
    and he had an excellent underrated defence despite it not being his ‘main thing’

Depends how you interprete the question. Are we talking the most defensively skilled or the best defensive boxer?

Duran has a strong argument for being the most defensively skilled boxer ever without a doubt. Incredible at rolling with punches and avoiding getting caught flush for an inside fighter.

I think the idea that Whitaker is a pure defensive fighter is a bit of a myth too. Not a power puncher obviously but he was superb offensively. As good a fighter on the inside then he was on the outside.

Morrison J wrote: »

I think the idea that Whitaker is a pure defensive fighter is a bit of a myth too. Not a power puncher obviously but he was superb offensively. As good a fighter on the inside then he was on the outside.

I think most fans know how busy and offensive a fighter Pea was. He was very offensive from all angles. Superb jab as well. Very decent inside game; great hooks from both wings in close.

He's an enigma when you think of it because he was so slight, weak looking and not at all physically imposing, yet he managed to outbox you all night.

BTW, Vasyl Lomachenko will go down as one of the best ever.

His D is ridiculously good.....every inch of his body used....

Morrison J wrote: »
    Depends how you interprete the question. Are we talking the most defensively skilled or the best defensive boxer?

I meant best defensively skilled. The ones with the best defence.

walshb wrote: »

Lomachenko brilliant technically. He wouldn't have sprung to mind for me though to name a "defensive boxer" but I can see how you could consider him in that category.

• Advertisement

megadodge wrote: »
    At least one long-term poster will blow a gasket at you for having the temerity to mention Hamed on the same thread as a James Toney lovein!

In fairness though, opponents found it very hard to hit him. And they were all light fast little feckers themselves. Hamed was good. Although if I was his coach I'd have been having heart attacks telling him to tidy up. And very entertaining to watch too.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

Bernard Hopkins had a very crafty defense.
    Toney probably my favourite to watch.
    Mayweather defense obviously is a thing of beauty.
    Prime Roy Jones relied on his reactions but was unhittable until he started slowing down.

Roy’s defense/instinctive defense was average. Consisted of a high guard, and that was it. His reflexes were his defense. Like Ali..when not using their reflexes their D was average and basic.

I don’t consider them when I think of really good defensive fighters..

Hamed? For f*ck's sake. As soon as he stepped up in class he was getting tagged left, right and centre. Kelly knocked him down three times and Barrera beat the sh*t out of him. The only thing he had going for him defensively was his chin.

Ridiculous.

Surely using your reflexes is a good defence?

Try_harder wrote: »
    Surely using your reflexes is a good defence?

It is.....

The discussion is more on what may happen when reflexes slow down.....

For me the real defensive geniuses are those who don't have to rely on feet and reflexes and speed. The ones who have an innate sense for defense and the ability within their body to defend so effortlessly and instinctively when in tough positions, and when not moving away...

Take Nigel Benn. His instinctive D was better than Jones and Ali. His reflexes were not. But when Benn needed to be elusive when under pressure and cornered, his D was very decent. Slipping, ducking, rolling and bending when in the firing range. That is real D.

I think Locche is getting a little over looked here too.
    Back in the day when being a world champion really meant something he really dominated world class opponents and held the world title for over 4 years despite being feather fisted. (117-4 with only 14 Knockouts).

He want called ‘untouchale’ for nothing.

Ali was master of the slip and roll tbf, very agile for a big lad.

Hunkering down covering up isnt the optimal defence.

Still go with Floyd

walshb wrote: »

100% agree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭megadodge

Some of the usual nonsense being spouted here in order to make one particular overrated, fat, loudmouth from the 1990s be considered the best ever in at least one aspect of boxing!

Defense is not getting hit!

"Real" defense is still not getting hit!

If there was a worldwide competition for non-boxers to prove who had the best reflexes and the winner was put in a boxing ring - does anyone realistically think that he would be impossible to hit "because of his reflexes"? He would be battered, because he wouldn't be able to 'read' the situations and even if he eventually recognised them he wouldn't know how to react, where/how to position his body, he wouldn't be able to judge the 'safe' distance and the 'countering' distance, etc. etc. etc.

Ali and Jones in particular were so much more intelligent than their opposition they could usually read any situation before/as it was happening and because of this had a head-start when it came to avoiding incoming offense. However, that intelligence is almost always overlooked and dismissed as 'reflexes'.

Advertisement