Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2011 Nissan Micra or Ford Fiesta

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The the Fiesta any day over that model Micra. That Micra was a car designed for developing markets like India and Brazil not for Europe. Even the Micra before it is a far better car and so is any model Fiesta of the last 15 years.
    While the second Fiesta looks lovely it says it has 170 thousand Km on it and yet no owners which is very strange unless it was a rental car so I would avoid.

The black Fiesta looks good if a little basic.

Would try get a mid spec model at least just so you have better spec and don't end up missing something you might want.

That's just my opinion anyway.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The black Fiesta is a UK import so I'd be doing a background check on that car given the claimed low mileage. I'd also ask about warranty, the name of the dealer suggests trade sales which usually means you buy it as it is and no warranty.

That model Micra is a nasty cheap car, they were built to a very low budget and were really designed for developing countries. Reliability is probably their only positive but there are much better alternatives out there offering that.

OP, why are you looking at diesel cars when initially looking at a petrol Micra? Do you actually have use for a diesel car? Is there a reason why your not looking at a petrol Fiesta? If reliability is a priority and your not doing diesel mileage then I just don't see why you are considering diesel cars especially small ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭sarahf2k16

bazz26 wrote: »
    The black Fiesta is a UK import so I'd be doing a background check on that car given the claimed low mileage. I'd also ask about warranty, the name of the dealer suggests trade sales which usually means you buy it as it is and no warranty.

That model Micra is a nasty cheap car, they were built to a very low budget and were really designed for developing countries. Reliability is probably their only positive but there are much better alternatives out there offering that.

OP, why are you looking at diesel cars when initially looking at a petrol Micra? Do you actually have use for a diesel car? Is there a reason why your not looking at a petrol Fiesta? If reliability is a priority and your not doing diesel mileage then I just don't see why you are considering diesel cars especially small ones.

Hi, thanks for the advice. I haven't bought a car before, last car I has was a 05 colt, was awful to drive, I have to get a new one as the steering rack is gone in the colt - can't trade in.

I'll make sure to steer clear of the Nissan micra! Yikes.

I drive about 8-9 thousand miles a year so not sure whether I'd be better off with petrol, I suppose? I have a tight budget and want a small car/hatchback but I am struggling to find something to suit me. I did not realise how difficult looking for used cars would be.

If I decide I like the UK import then I will do the full background check, thanks for the advice. They don't offer a warranty but said they would put car through NCT before I want to buy it.

What sort of driving are you doing? Short trips or long trips? If your doing short trips then forget about diesel. They are not designed for that sort of use. At only 8k or 9k miles per year your not going to lose out much in the way of fuel economy especially with small cars which are fairly fuel efficiency in petrol anyway.

Have a look at the Hyundai i20, Renault Clio and Suzuki Swift too. If want something smaller then the Toyota Aygo is worth a look at.

AMKC wrote: »
    The the Fiesta any day over that model Micra. That Micra was a car designed for developing markets like India and Brazil not for Europe. Even the Micra before it is a far better car and so is any model Fiesta of the last 15 years.
    While the second Fiesta looks lovely it says it has 170 thousand Km on it and yet no owners which is very strange unless it was a rental car so I would avoid.

The black Fiesta looks good if a little basic.

Would try get a mid spec model at least just so you have better spec and don't end up missing something you might want.

That's just my opinion anyway.

Thanks for the heads up, I won't be going near that Micra so!

• Advertisement

What sort of driving are you doing? Short trips or long trips? If your doing short trips then forget about diesel. They are not designed for that sort of use. At only 8k or 9k miles per year your not going to lose out much in the way of fuel economy especially with small cars which are fairly fuel efficiency in petrol anyway.

Have a look at the Hyundai i20, Renault Clio and Suzuki Swift too. If want something smaller then the Toyota Aygo is worth a look at.

Ya its mostly short trips, I live in the city and drive home to see family twice a month and thats a 1 hour drive there and another drive back so short journeys really.

Mechanic told me not to get Suzuki Swift even though I do like the look of them a lot. Love the Hyundai i20 in the 3 door but way over budget and the Toyota Aygo isn't my cup of tea. I like the looks of Clios but was told not to go near Renault or Peugeot

I saw this, I may be able to get loan to make up difference, not mad on the looks but again its a reliability I want and don't trust taking my chances with private sellers given my lack of knowledge about cars.

https://www.motorpark.ie/used-cars/Mitsubishi/Space-Star/1.0-PETROL/201807308962777/

Those Space Stars are not much different to the Micra you already looked at, cheap and nasty. And your mechanic is wrong about the Swift and Clio. If doing mostly short trips then your mechanic might well be seeing you more regularly with a diesel car.

I'd have a look at something like this:
    https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2110334&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D72%26o%5B%5D%3D612%26f%3D1%26yn%3D2009%26yx%3D2010%26pp%3D50%26g%3D0

The Clio is a good car despite what some people think of the Renault brand and that dealer has been around for along time and is very reputable.

Ms

sarahf2k16 wrote: »
    Ya its mostly short trips, I live in the city and drive home to see family twice a month and thats a 1 hour drive there and another drive back so short journeys really.

Mechanic told me not to get Suzuki Swift even though I do like the look of them a lot. Love the Hyundai i20 in the 3 door but way over budget and the Toyota Aygo isn't my cup of tea. I like the looks of Clios but was told not to go near Renault or Peugeot

I saw this, I may be able to get loan to make up difference, not mad on the looks but again its a reliability I want and don't trust taking my chances with private sellers given my lack of knowledge about cars.

https://www.motorpark.ie/used-cars/Mitsubishi/Space-Star/1.0-PETROL/201807308962777/

Suzuki Swift: Don't no why anyone would have a problem with them. They are a well designed and reliable Japanese car.

There is nothing wrong with a Peugeot 207. They are reliable too. I know because the brother had one.

A Fiat Punto is worth looking at as they are cheap to maintain and run. A Kia Rio is another car you could look at and they are very reliable as well.

That Mitsubishi is another car like the Micra developed down to a price and for developing markets.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Nothing wrong with a petrol Swift imo.

You’d be as well avoiding diesels if reliability is a concern

The Clio is a great car, it’s a very ill informed view to say they’re rubbish.

Great thanks for advice, I'm going to look at Swifts too!

• Advertisement

What do you guys think of the renault megane coupe 3 door? I saw a 2009 for 3250 with 1 year full nct, irish (not import) from dealer with only 70,000 miles on the clock.

Grand car, but they’re nearly all diesel, and diesels are inherently more risky than petrols in terms of big ticket items needing replacing.

Maybe look at a Kia pro Ceed 1.4 petrol? Same general size and idea as the Megane.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Grand car, but they’re nearly all diesel, and diesels are inherently more risky than petrols in terms of big ticket items needing replacing.

Maybe look at a Kia pro Ceed 1.4 petrol? Same general size and idea as the Megane.

I love the look of the megane, don't like the kia pro. A mechanic in the garage I go to is selling a Kia Venga for the mother in law (I never even heard of them) its advertised as 5,750 but they said they would take 5k for it. I'd say it is well looked after. The other, usual mechanic I deal with was very adamant to not get a Megane. I really appreciate people's thoughts as I didn't realise how difficult it is to find decent used cars.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-venga-for-sale/20012623

Kia venga was a very small seller here. It’s basically the same idea as a Hyundai ix20 (again not a big seller) it would be a direct rival to the Honda Jazz or Nissan Note. It would be narrower than the likes of a Kia Ceed/Megane.

The Megane is way better than the older model, but the inherent risk that any modern diesel brings is still there.

Ms

sarahf2k16 wrote: »
    I love the look of the megane, don't like the kia pro. A mechanic in the garage I go to is selling a Kia Venga for the mother in law (I never even heard of them) its advertised as 5,750 but they said they would take 5k for it. I'd say it is well looked after. The other, usual mechanic I deal with was very adamant to not get a Megane. I really appreciate people's thoughts as I didn't realise how difficult it is to find decent used cars.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-venga-for-sale/20012623

What about an Opel Astra GTC or a Hyundai Veloster. Bit of a strange car the Veloster but if you can find one you might like it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Kia venga was a very small seller here. It’s basically the same idea as a Hyundai ix20 (again not a big seller) it would be a direct rival to the Honda Jazz or Nissan Note. It would be narrower than the likes of a Kia Ceed/Megane.

The Megane is way better than the older model, but the inherent risk that any modern diesel brings is still there.

So I think I have found the car I'm going to buy. I test drove a 09 Ford Fiesta Zetec 1.2 petrol yesterday from a local garage with good reputation. It has only had one owner and 60,000 miles. His final offer for it was €5,000, which I thought was a bit steep but it also includes a month warranty. Its either that or €4,000 for a 09 Micra (normal model.)

Seems expensive to me for what it is. Your not going to get much in the way of warranty from a dealer with 10 year old cars.

Would you consider something a little bigger but still not too big? Something like a Honda Civic or Toyota Auris? They are generally better value than small cars and are not much more expensive to run.

For example:

https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2069113&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D32%26o%5B%5D%3D282%26f%3D1%26b%3D2%26yn%3D2009%26yx%3D2010%26pp%3D50%26g%3D0

https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2114406&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D88%26o%5B%5D%3D1154%26f%3D1%26b%3D2%26yn%3D2009%26yx%3D2010%26pp%3D50%26g%3D0

€4K sounds a lot for a soon to be 10 year old fiesta. I’d question the value of a 30 day warranty.

Dealer actually wants 5k for the Fiesta.

Oh, this is the Fiesta from the op? Ad is gone now anyway...

• Advertisement

I think it's a different Fiesta Colm. The one in the original OP was a diesel.

€4K sounds a lot for a soon to be 10 year old fiesta. I’d question the value of a 30 day warranty.

Ya sorry its a different fiesta. Its 1.2 petrol, dealer hasn't advertised it, I viewed it the day it came. Its €5,000 for 09 Fiesta with 60,000 miles and 6 month warranty.

I think it is expensive for a 10 year old car. I did google same model and similar mileage and prices did range from €5,000-6000 for similar from other dealers. The car only has 1 owner who bought it new. The dealer also has a good rep, I've had family and a friend recommend them.

Trying to justify if it's worth the price over a 09 Micra and 10 Kia Picanto that are both under €4,000 (fiesta looks best but again just feels expensive in comparison these - I suppose I'd be happy if the fiesta is the most reliable option out of the 3).

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-picanto-2010/19762031

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2009-nissan-micra-nctd-amp-taxed/19400985

Ms

@ OP the Mazda 2 is also worth a look. The Kia Picanto while not a bad little car is very dull and the red Micra looks nice but seems to have high mileage for a petrol car. That's over 15500 Kms a year. Maybe that's not bad but it is into its second life already. So there could be parts that need changing and servicing.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

There is a smell of ex rental off that red Micra.

There is a smell of ex rental off that red Micra.

105% of Micras for sale are ex rental. Same with Corsas (figure is slightly higher but don’t have it to hand)

Oddly enough, I’d say that red Micra isn’t ex rental as the reg is too low a number.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

Hi I've been driving nissan micra for the past 20 years and 2 months ago I switched to Ford Fiesta I only wish I'd done it sooner.Its a great car just open and close the door in micra and fiesta and it's such big difference.I use it for work and driving daughter around I don't do alot of mileage but I feel 100% safer in the fiesta if we where ever involved in an accident.Just my tup pence worth.Best of luck with your purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Fiesta is relatively heavy though, so if you have the low end underpowered engines it will feel slow on a motorway for example.

You should get maybe 4 years out of that fiesta at avg mileage so I think 5k is not over the top so long as condition matches the 60,000 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭pearcider

5 grand is mental for a 2009 fiesta! MENTAL

• Advertisement

Especially when you could get them new for 13 or something last year

Advertisement