Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Callum - Thursday/Friday 11/12 October 2018 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭aidanodr

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Eerily calm in Galway blue sky no wind

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Eerily calm in Galway blue sky no wind

Same in Westport, no breeze at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

Same in Castlebar. Lovely bright evening so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭heffoo

For those that missed it.

MOD NOTE:

This Thread is for discussing Fridays threat of severe weather only. It could get very busy and posters are reminded to stay on topic.

In everybody's best interest their will be a zero tolerance to posters dragging the thread off topic and into disarray , posts will be removed that do not adhere to this request.

Posters wishing to discuss matters in relation to Met Eireann can discuss it here https://www.boards.ie/...ead.php?t=2056857470 (whilst abiding by the Forum charter) and not on this thread.

Please help keep this thread running smoothly for all by adhering with the Mod Team's request.

Thank You.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

eezipc wrote: »
    Same in Castlebar. Lovely bright evening so far.

Bar some rain before noon here in Ballina but bar that its a savage day

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Lovely evening here in North Kerry,very mild now

Was like this as well before the last storm

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deatr

MJohnston wrote: »
    As a generic bit of technical information in response to flight questions:
    1. Effects on flights won't be known until at best 24 hours in advance, and more likely you won't get a solid answer until within the 12 hour range.
    2. You can check it yourself - the TAF is essentially an airport forecast that best represents the info that airlines will use in determining possible cancellations. A site like this:

https://www.checkwx.com/weather/EIKY/taf

Let's you easily see the TAF for any given airport for the next 24 hours or so (they usually extend out to 30 hours). Here's another one for Dublin Airport:

https://www.checkwx.com/weather/EIDW/taf

I always forget what the wind restrictions are for runway operations, someone like JXC might be able to better answer that - I believe it's 50 knots, so if you look at the Dublin TAF, you might expect some disruption between 1am and 6am when there are 55 knot gusts forecast.

Just on this the times in all TAFs are in GMT so you’ll have to add the extra hour for BST for the correct time frame. From experience you can generally add a few knots on to the actual wind when compared to that forecasted in the TAF. Also given that the wind direction in the DUB TAF is forecast to be from 150, they’ll probably use runway 16. This will cause some disruption in operations and in fact as above EI have already cancelled some flights. For those asking about what the impact might be if you’re flying tomorrow morning it’d best to check with your airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Air pressure actually rising here in ballincollig. Warm sunny day here too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

NetWx-SR Model (Wind Gusts) for 12am

nmmukgust.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Here in the extreme south west coast, it is starting to darken and the wind is picking up slowly, we had beautiful sunshine most of the afternoon, now it is changing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

goat2 wrote: »
    Here in the extreme south west coast, it is starting to darken and the wind is picking up slowly, we had beautiful sunshine most of the afternoon, now it is changing

Looking forward to your reports later

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

It's an absolutely cracking evening in Poppintree Park. I'm out walking doggo. Blue skies. Long shadows. Dry air. And barely a breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

Latest Hi Res Arome shows up to 120kph winds penetrating inland. Could be actually a lot of damage from this.
    aromehd-11-15-0_npm3.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Looks like it is shifting more to the east than expected I believe...

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

Latest Hi Res Arome shows up to 120kph winds penetrating inland. Could be actually a lot of damage from this.

Gusts but still WOW!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

ARPEGE (10m gusts) saying we should start to feel it properly around 2am in Dublin, the high tide in Dublin is 2:07...

I had more of a feeling from other charts around 4am when the tide was on it's way out.

arpegeuk-11-13-0.png?11-17

Latest visible image.

sseaNtQ.jpg?1

sumtings wrote: »
    Gusts but still WOW!

Of course Gusts,they cause most damage in any storm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭serfboard

Pwindedd wrote: »
    And barely a breeze.
    Met Eireann reporting the Wind Speed in Athenry @ 18:00 of 6 km/h.

Some calm before ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

I have never seen such a nice 'calm before a storm'. Lough Corrib looks magical.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Darkening rapidly now and anything that rattles in gales is starting its arrhythmic warning. Only other sound is the lead cow mooing as my neighbour leads them to shelter for the night, collie bounding along behind, a sight as ancient as "the whirling wind's tempestuous shocks" Saint Patrick wrote about in the 5th century.

Long night ahead, of battering and winnowing, rehearsing quietly already..

The island has no trees to destroy, no tall buildings. Anything wind can destroy long since gone or anchored down. Often the ferryman will bring his boat in out of the water when gales approach.

My internet connection is coming and going so may not get back here a while. Will see how it goes. As we all will.

Stay safe...

West Mayo, offshore island, a small field away from the great ocean

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

I would have liked an invetween data point in the Harmonies high Res for between 1am and 7am. Really good update though.

dacogawa wrote: »
    ARPEGE (10m gusts) saying we should start to feel it properly around 2am in Dublin, the high tide in Dublin is 2:07...

I had more of a feeling from other charts around 4am when the tide was on it's way out.

arpegeuk-11-13-0.png?11-17

Wouldn’t that not be well in red warning territory?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

irishfeen wrote: »

Indeed yes as many have been thinking..

Top end orange

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Lots of French and Spanish trawlers heading for shelter in Castletownbere showing on Marine Traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Red is over 130km/h so no.

• Advertisement

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Red is over 130km/h so no.

Sorry I must be half colour blind I thought that was reading above 130

Advertisement