Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Callum - Thursday/Friday 11/12 October 2018 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

irishfeen wrote: »
    Sorry I must be half colour blind I thought that was reading above 130

Looks like 120km/h to me. It is hard to read but it looks like the 2nd darkest purple for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

The center of circulation is going to be well off the west coast. Just goes to show how large the wind field is.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

bb12 wrote: »
    Faustino wrote: »
    I think this probably has more to do with Ali catching people off guard.

It seemed the worst of it was on the school runs and it was certainly dangerous enough to heed an orange warning bordering on red in parts.

Tonight could be just as bad in parts and trees already weakened by Ali could be dangerous coming into tomorrow.

One of my youngish but large (40 years old) ash trees in my front boundary crashed down and blocked the road at 9:15 am that morning of Ali. One my cctv cameras was attached to it and my neighbour who had just dropped her kids to school and was on the way home drove under the tree exactly 60 seconds before it fell.

It’s why I’m not asking should I go anywhere. I know I’m not going anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

You can watch Galway Harbour on this Web Cam updates every 30 second just look how high the tide i's now with no wind

https://www.farsondigitalwatercams.com/locations/galway-city

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

Some fast moving dark clouds appearing after what was a sunny ‘calm before the storm’ kind of day.

South Kerry coast

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Whirl_wolle

When is this likely to hit the west. I need to get home to charge devices especially the e cigarettes and I don't know when I be getting out of work at. In case the power goes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

When is this likely to hit the west. I need to get home to charge devices especially the e cigarettes and I don't know when I be getting out of work at. In case the power goes out.

Depends what part of the west but midnight for mid-west as I recall. Bit earlier for southwest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Don’t forget your hanging baskets and it would have to bin collection day and no notifications from Thorntons about any changes to their service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Just looking at the size of this on earth null at it's a monster.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Looks like a couple of hours of the strongest winds for most apart from those on the SW/ W /NW coasts. Winds moderating fairly quickly for most after the front goes through.

1190_qxo0.png

2009_dlv8.png

8928_twc3.png

1701_ytu6.png

1652_dqc5.png

6672_dnt2.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ARPEGE 12Z Max Winds

arpegeuk-52-26-0_kaf8.png

AROME 12Z Max Winds

aromehd-52-21-0_eyl2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

I have never seen such a nice 'calm before a storm'. Lough Corrib looks magical.

Its been a glorious afternoon and evening in Sth Galway. Not a breeze after a very blustery week, and actually feels like a Spring evening as birds were singing their little hearts out.
    Hard to believe all the activity that’s hurtling towards the West Coast. Bring it on! Thanks again to all the regular weather gurus for keeping us updated and informed!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Some extremely strong winds for Dublin at peak travel time. Asked them in work to circulate an email around asking people to take laptops home, just in case. Said it won't be too windy! People will take any excuse not to go to work on a Friday haha.

Completed my prep anyway. My olive trees are now as protected as possible and my bins and locked down. Ali killed my BBQ last time so have that locked down!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Nice satellite loop showing cloudtop heights. Note the speed of the lowest (red/orange) clouds just behind the main frontal band (cyan/white).

http://www.nwcsaf.org/AemetWebContents/ReferenceSystem/GEO/ProductsPages/ReferenceSystem_GEO_CTTH_ctth_alti_LOOP.html

Airport warnings out. Cork showing the highest at 60 knots.

SHANNON EINN AD WRNG 01 VALID 112300/121100 SFC WIND SE 30-35KT MAX 50-55 BECMG 1203/1205 SSW 25-30 MAX 40-45 FCST =

CORK EICK AD WRNG 01 VALID 112100/121100 SFC WIND SSE 35-40KT MAX 55-60 BECMG 1202/1204 SSW 20-25 MAX 35-40 FCST =

DUBLIN EIDW AD WRNG 01 VALID 120001/121200 SFC WIND SSE 25-30KT MAX 50-55 BECMG 1204/1206 SSW 25-30 MAX 40-45 BECMG 1207/1209 SSW 35-40 FCST =

CASEMENT EIME AD WRNG 01 VALID 120001/121200 SFC WIND SSE 30-35KT MAX 50-55 BECMG 1204/1206 SSW 20-25 MAX 40-45 FCST =

KNOCK EIKN AD WRNG 01 VALID 120001/121300 SFC WIND SE 25-30KT MAX 50-55 BECMG 1204/1206 SSW 25-30 MAX 45-50 FCST =

Outer edge of the system approaching the coast.

D2u_daf4.jpg

ext6EWO.gif

Met Éireann's aviation chart for 00Z shows Callum's centre of 937 hPa around 300 NM west of Kerry. The frontal triple point is right over north Kerry, moving northeastwards at 45 knots. Isolated heavy rain with embedded thunderstorms ahead of this, with showers and isolated thunderstorms behind the following cold front. 2000-ft wind at the triple point 70 knots.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Hard to believe theres a storm coming at all. Just had the most perfect evening in Athlone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Same here, stunning day here in Cork City.

• Advertisement

Could get some thunderstorms up along the W coast

tempresult_wap4.gif

arpegeuk-25-27-0_rgr5.png

tempresult_ylq3.gif

http://www.estofex.org/

lAY7BMf.png

ESTOFEX

Northern Atlantic into Ireland

Late in the period, intense cyclogenesis takes place across the Atlantic. The center of a strong storm will move northward west of Ireland. A mid-level front is expected to spread over rich low-level moisture and some CAPE is expected to develop. It is not ruled out that some storms can form Friday morning. With very strong vertical wind shear, small mesocyclones and bowing lines are likely to form, capable of producing severe wind gusts and tornadoes.

Waterford Airport TAF (valid to 4 am) gives gusts to 60 knots.

Purely going on the TAF, Dublin's winds should peak just before the start of the morning rush (55 knots between 2 and 5 am), but may affect the early transatlantics (Boston, etc.). For the rush itself (after 6 am) a slight veer to 190 ° and gusting 45 knots on a wet runway 16 may cause delays for a time. Crosswind limits are greatly reduced for a wet runway compared to a dry one, though it should be drying out fairly quickly as rain is timed to end at 5 am.

TAF EIDW 111700Z 1118/1218 17009KT 9999 FEW020 SCT035
    BECMG 1122/1124 16020G35KT
    BECMG 1200/1202 15025G45KT
    TEMPO 1201/1204 16030G55KT 4000 RA BKN010
    BECMG 1204/1206 19025G45KT

BECMG 1207/1209 20020G35KT
    TEMPO 1210/1212 20025G40KT

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Atmospheric Pressure averaging out at 980 hpa over the last 24 hours. Now just waiting for it to start dropping as storm approaches ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Was just outside and you would swear it’s a night for a grass frost.eerily calm and a grand clear sky.thats in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Was just outside and you would swear it’s a night for a grass frost.eerily calm and a grand clear sky.thats in Galway

Same here mid Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Same here mid Galway
    Already getting blustery in Tralee

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Starting to get windy in cork city. Chances of this going a bit further east are still possible I’m assuming? Ophelia did it last second if I remember correctly so anything’s possible. Always prepare!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Graces7 wrote: »
    Darkening rapidly now and anything that rattles in gales is starting its arrhythmic warning. Only other sound is the lead cow mooing as my neighbour leads them to shelter for the night, collie bounding along behind, a sight as ancient as "the whirling wind's tempestuous shocks" Saint Patrick wrote about in the 5th century.

Long night ahead, of battering and winnowing, rehearsing quietly already..

The island has no trees to destroy, no tall buildings. Anything wind can destroy long since gone or anchored down. Often the ferryman will bring his boat in out of the water when gales approach.

My internet connection is coming and going so may not get back here a while. Will see how it goes. As we all will.

Stay safe...

West Mayo, offshore island, a small field away from the great ocean

Some on this thread have a great way with words

Advertisement