Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Callum - Thursday/Friday 11/12 October 2018 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Not a colossal amount to update at this point! It's going to get windy....

See this is where I really want updates. I find when the event actually begins that it gets super quiet on here and other sites. I find it really difficult to get any updates .. sometimes it can bypass us but I’m left looking out the window wondering if it’s still on it’s way lol

I’d like to know has it started, where it’s tracking now, what speeds it’s getting up to etc. how long it’s estimated to be before hitting specific areas etc. Has it downgraded, upgraded. That sort of thing?

Anyone else find updates completely stop when the events start? Don’t get me wrong.. I’m not complaining and I’m always so grateful for all the experts weather knowledge. I’ve learned loads in the last 10 years. I’ve just noticed in the past it was hard to get much info during.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    600ft up in the McGillycuddys NE of Sneem.

Things getting more stormy by the minute windy and showers, and theres a deep roar high up in the mountains.

Backs sore from clearing drains, and I am out of Jamesons ointment, long night coming.

SB

Another poster with a great way with words

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

I love getting ready for bed knowing there will be a storm blowing in the morning. There is something invigorating about waking up to nature at it's wildest. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

A thin whistle of wind starting to be heard down the chimney now. And pitch black outside, not a star to be seen. I can hear the waves down the shore though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Wind lower than forecast for airports around Ireland, looks like it's onslaught is slower than expected.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

fine calm evening here at Dunshaughlin, hard to believe it's going to be very windy/stormy in the early morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Rodar08 wrote: »
    See this is where I really want updates. I find when the event actually begins that it gets super quiet on here and other sites. I find it really difficult to get any updates .. sometimes it can bypass us but I’m left looking out the window wondering if it’s still on it’s way lol

I’d like to know has it started, where it’s tracking now, what speeds it’s getting up to etc. how long it’s estimated to be before hitting specific areas etc. Has it downgraded, upgraded. That sort of thing?

Anyone else find updates completely stop when the events start? Don’t get me wrong.. I’m not complaining and I’m always so grateful for all the experts weather knowledge. I’ve learned loads in the last 10 years. I’ve just noticed in the past it was hard to get much info during.

Often times ppl are just experiencing the event and not on this to update.

Can be frustrating yes for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Went out for a walk at 7.30 and by the time I got back at 8.30 the wind had picked up considerably. So mild though that I was walking in just a tshirt at one point, had to take off the jacket!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Very heavy rain now coming into view on radar off the south west coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

worrying. although high tide was around 8 pm so will have gone down a good bit by the time the heavy rains come.

i hope. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Pressure dropping away now. Valentia 8pm 992hpa, 9pm 990hpa.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Rodar08 wrote: »

The 'experts', or even the people vaguely interested in weather, get fed up having to navigate the constant stream of After Hours posts that end up here once the even begins.

There aren't enough mods around for this forum for events, because we get moments like currently where there are a couple of pages of 'chat' posts in this thread now, even though there's a dedicated thread for that.

That all aside, we're also in a dead-zone in terms of model updates:
    https://weather.thedeskofmatthew.com/
    So there's very little new to discuss from a technical perspective at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm in the very NW of Donegal. Eerily calm at the moment (which is to be expected, but weird as it's almost never not windy up here!)

As the wind is due to be from the SE/SW I don't expect it to be wildly dramatic - not sure if I'm disappointed or not. But could be an interesting sight tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 seanjoyce21

ya thats where the saying the calm before the storm comes from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭thomil

Winds definitely picking up here in Ballincollig now, coming from southerly directions, as one would expect. Quite a few decent gusts in the last couple of minutes. Rain apparently starting up again. Pressure still dropping, albeit slowly. Now at 991 mbar.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

23kts now in Cork. Still relatively moderate but definitely picking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

The main problem with this storm will be the high tides combined with storm surge...which im sure will still reach us even though the worst of the winds will not...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

What time are the high tides tomorrow morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Wind picking up on the mountains in the listowel area.

I just hope I don't do a Dorothy!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

13hrs after tonight's tide but it depends where you are in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Depends where you are.

Free tidal predictions for all around the country

http://www.ukho.gov.uk/easytide/EasyTide/index.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭dmc17

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Depends where you are.

Free tidal predictions for all around the country

http://www.ukho.gov.uk/easytide/EasyTide/index.aspx

I think you need to add an hour for daylight saving on there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

8.15 am in Cork City. I work on Morrison’s Island so not sure how that will work out for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Ballincollig

Getting a bit blowy here now. I have air pressure at 993 and falling

dmc17 wrote: »
    I think you need to add an hour for daylight saving on there
    You do indeed. Should have mentioned that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Galway high tide at 7:50am. 5.2m which is relatively high.
    The high tides today were higher but not by much (7:11am 5.4m).
    The sea around Blackrock will be turbulent tomorrow morning to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Gone from dead calm to slight breeze in last 10 minutes in Westport.

irishgeo wrote: »
    13hrs after tonight's tide but it depends where you are in Ireland.

12 and a half actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Cork and Kerry officially under an Orange Alert now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Advertisement