Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Callum - Thursday/Friday 11/12 October 2018 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Wasnt too bad in dublin during the night. Just a bit windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Tide incoming in Galway - this has risen alot in the last hour.
    https://www.farsondigitalwatercams.com/locations/galway-city

I can hear people coming in to work wondering what all the fuss about, storm? What storm?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Woke during the night to rain pelting windows and windy. Sounds just windy now, not looked outside yet, still in bed. Ballinteer d16

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

South Rock buoy, off the Co. Down coast, has reported an 80-kt gust in the past hour, the highest of all buoys around the coasts (even Fastnet only managed 82). Conningbeg buoy off the Wexford coast got to 68 kts.

https://twitter.com/southrockbuoy/status/1050608179170529282?s=19

https://twitter.com/ConingbegBuoy/status/1050579404991156229?s=19

Surprised that the buoys off the west coast haven't reported higher gusts. Finnis (Aran Islands) and Ballybunion buoys below 60 knots.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mace Head reporting gust of 61kts at 0600.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Nothing much in Athlone area over night

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭munster87

stevek93 wrote: »
    Just woke up in Dublin here the odd gust of wind now nothing major

But where were you when you went to sleep!?

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

8mm rain overnight fresh morning now north Galway

South Rock buoy, off the Co. Down coast, has reported an 80-kt gust in the past hour, the highest of all buoys around the coasts (even Fastnet only managed 82). Conningbeg buoy off the Wexford coast got to 68 kts.

https://twitter.com/southrockbuoy/status/1050608179170529282?s=19

https://twitter.com/ConingbegBuoy/status/1050579404991156229?s=19

Surprised that the buoys off the west coast haven't reported higher gusts. Finnis (Aran Islands) and Ballybunion buoys below 60 knots.

Actually, WT1 buoy off the Belmullet coast has just reported 82 knots now.

463619.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Public opinion and pressure probably forced that orange alert.
    Certainly didn’t desever one in Dublin.

Rte reporting that the storm has virtually passed other than the NW where gust will continue throughout the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Not much of anything happening in Wexford. It's windy alright but nothing out of the ordinary. I've been up since 5.00am

Make that 83 knots now

attachment.php?attachmentid=463620&d=1539324578

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Liffey4A

My Davis weather station recorded a max gust of 74kmh last night in Dundalk

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

feeling that here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭thomasj

Public opinion and pressure probably forced that orange alert.
    Certainly didn’t desever one in Dublin.

Rte reporting that the storm has virtually passed other than the NW where gust will continue throughout the day.

Just a reminder

Orange alert meaning
    ORANGE WARNING – Be Prepared

An ORANGE level warning is issued by Met Éireann for wind speeds with the capacity to produce dangerous, stormy conditions which may constitute a risk to life and property.

Stay away from exposed coastal areas for the period of the ORANGE warning.
    Drive to anticipate strong cross winds and other hazards such as falling/fallen trees. High sided vehicles and motorcyclists are particularly vulnerable to strong winds – slow down and give extra space to pedestrians and cyclists.
    Be aware of local conditions in your area; wind strengths can vary significantly from place to place (depending on direction and local topography).

Two points in that meaning of the Irish warning.

1. There were /are fallen trees , and the DART overhead wires came down near Sutton. So it's definitely valid in that point

2. Just because it's not what you expected in your area doesn't mean it didn't happen in other locations. The weather is localised .

Seems a perfectly valid warning to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

Sounds like ye had fun up in the north west. In limerick city we had a calm night. I'd even go as far as to say it was windier Monday Tuesday and Wednesday this week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

And awake for school. It’s still very windy in Cork City (nothing like earlier though). Can’t see too much damage however, definitely one of the strongest wind storms we’ve had since Ophelia though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

Got pretty windy here over night alright, but just a breezy morning now. Electricity went for awhile but back again. Heading out a little early to be on the safe side. Tipp/Kilkenny border.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

pnpweirdo wrote: »
    Sounds like ye had fun up in the north west. In limerick city we had a calm night. I'd even go as far as to say it was windier Monday Tuesday and Wednesday this week

change that t o HAVING not had!.. still raging out here, more than last night...Loud and sudden

And awake for school. It’s still very windy in Cork City (nothing like earlier though). Can’t see too much damage however, definitely one of the strongest wind storms we’ve had since Ophelia though

I woke at 3.45 in Cork and the wind and rain was incredible. It felt and looked as bad as Ophelia but it didn't last long and is pretty calm again now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Don't know if it is supposed to get windier here in NW later (Donegal/Leitrim border), but so far it really has been nothing on Ali. Windy for sure, but not scary windy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭NewMrs2b

I made alt arrangements for my daughter on the back of orange warning - as it says take appropriate measures.

I'll scoot off to work 30mins early so I can take it easy and she will get dropped straight to school V's walking from her creche!

Great reporting here overnight! I slept through most of it - thanks for timing also and updates in this eve I've arranged to leave work early!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Force 4-5 on the cycle to work here in Sligo town, but evidence of stronger winds overnight with a number of small branches on the roads.
    MJohnston wrote: »
    Here are approximate timings for the peaks of the worst winds, so that we can cut the "load of nothing" posts out before they start.

South-west coast: 2/3am
    Cork/South coast: 5/6am
    Midlands: 5/6am
    South-east: 6/7am
    Dublin/East Coast/Ulster: 7/8am
    Galway/Mayo: 12pm/1pm
    Donegal: 4/5pm
    Limerick: might peak twice here, first around 2am, then again around 11am/12pm.

How fast is Callum moving now that he's reached land, are these timings still broadly accurate? I'd assume 2/3pm would be peak winds in Sligo, we always seem shielded from the worst of the storms.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Max gust in 0700 reports of 60kts at Belmullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Nothing major here on the kildare/Laois border , a bit windy now but nothing substantial.
    Got woken by a a few bIg gusts around 3am.
    Probably just about deserved a yellow warning here but I have seen worse with no warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

My weather station recorded 20mm of rain between 0230 and 0330

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Got woken around 3.30ish with the wind & rain in Limerick/Clare border region. Sounded pretty savage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Neighbors wheelie bin was put out last at 10 and its still standing now.....recyling btw:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Completely missed us in East Galway
    I hope this doesn’t make people around here less vigilant for the next one
    I’ve already got a few texts to that effect as I had tipped a few off last Monday about the threat of s storm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I've learned from the many snow events not to ever judge another area's weather by my standards.

Slept through the worst part here I'd say, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a few trees down in Waterford area, and definitely a lot of debris. The ground was pretty soaked from a rain event yesterday morning.

Advertisement